AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello friends and best wishes for a happy and peaceful New Year. The ol' Denon AVR591 has been a bullet-proof component for I guess five or so years now, but I have the upgrade itch. I am a horrible cheapskate and my system is modest. My choices have narrowed to the Marantz SR5007 for $400 or the Yamaha RX A830 for $380. I am going to be driving Boston Acoustics T1000s for front LR and Tannoy Mercurys as surrounds. DA1200 subwoofer. Currently a PSB C5 center, because I also started with PSB B5s as LR (still have them, love them, may swap them in and out with the BAs as the mood strikes.)

Why not another Denon? No preouts at my price point, and I want preouts so I can add an external amp to the mix down the road so I have the flexibility to drive 4 ohm speakers (Magnepan?) if a sweet deal comes up on Craigs or Audiogon etc.

So please chime in with your pros and cons. Networking, DLNA etc are important I think both units handle that well. Audyssey vs YPAO? Overall impressions of sound quality? My use is split pretty evenly between HT and 2.1 music listening.

Or perhaps hang tight with my reliable 591? My Apple TV streams my music library just fine. In that case, any favorite speakers at that $400 price point that might be a tangible upgrade over the BAs or PSBs?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I am not an expert on the subject, but I'm pretty sure Marantz and Audyssey are pretty universally considered "better" than Yamaha and YPAO in terms of sound quality.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I am not an expert on the subject, but I'm pretty sure Marantz and Audyssey are pretty universally considered "better" than Yamaha and YPAO in terms of sound quality.
Yamaha is well known for their quality, they are one of the better made AVR's out there.
Sound quality wise, I think it's a toss up. Audyssey is considered to be a better room correction setup, but the Yamaha has a user adjustable parametric EQ, so it can be fine tuned after calibration. In the end, it's a toss up.
Pick the one that has the features you want and go with it...

·
Registered
375 Posts
Hello friends and best wishes for a happy and peaceful New Year. The ol' Denon AVR591 has been a bullet-proof component for I guess five or so years now, but I have the upgrade itch. I am a horrible cheapskate and my system is modest. My choices have narrowed to the Marantz SR5007 for $400 or the Yamaha RX A830 for $380. I am going to be driving Boston Acoustics T1000s for front LR and Tannoy Mercurys as surrounds. DA1200 subwoofer. Currently a PSB C5 center, because I also started with PSB B5s as LR (still have them, love them, may swap them in and out with the BAs as the mood strikes.)

Why not another Denon? No preouts at my price point, and I want preouts so I can add an external amp to the mix down the road so I have the flexibility to drive 4 ohm speakers (Magnepan?) if a sweet deal comes up on Craigs or Audiogon etc.

So please chime in with your pros and cons. Networking, DLNA etc are important I think both units handle that well. Audyssey vs YPAO? Overall impressions of sound quality? My use is split pretty evenly between HT and 2.1 music listening.

Or perhaps hang tight with my reliable 591? My Apple TV streams my music library just fine. In that case, any favorite speakers at that $400 price point that might be a tangible upgrade over the BAs or PSBs?

Thanks!
I don't have experience with the 830 but I had a 6009 and a 740 and the Yamaha is substantially better with Networking. If networking is a major issue, I would buy something newer from Yamaha.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I honestly am not seeing a reason to upgrade. According to Google, your receiver supports Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD. Frankly unless your going ATMOS, or requiring UHD passthrough. I don't see a reason if power is sufficient.

If you have $400 and would like to spend it on the HT, you could buy a nice pre-amp for stereo listening with your record player. Pair that to your current Denon and be on your way.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I honestly am not seeing a reason to upgrade. According to Google, your receiver supports Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD. Frankly unless your going ATMOS, or requiring UHD passthrough. I don't see a reason if power is sufficient.

If you have $400 and would like to spend it on the HT, you could buy a nice pre-amp for stereo listening with your record player. Pair that to your current Denon and be on your way.
Thanks skeeder that is something to consider.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts