AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 291 Posts

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Japanese Marantz developed a dead mirror in the center of the screen after 100 hours and upon sending it in for warranty repair they say that it has to have 5 or more dead mirrors before it will be fixed.

THAT IS TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE!!! This is a home theater projector and it is in the middle of the screen. Also, this is the same place that repairs US Marantz projectors.

IT NOW APPEARS MARANTZ IS GOING TO FIX MY PROJECTOR!! I WILL KEEP EVERYONE INFORMED OF WHAT HAPPENS. (5-13-02 11:34PM)

Mike

·
Premium Member
9,326 Posts
Mike...First I am sorry for your issue.

It is in my experience that they are not alone in what they will and will not repair based on the number of pixels being out. A lot of manufactures say you need to have X out to be considered defective.

As far as...."Also, this is the same place that repairs US Marantz projectors"

This would have no baring on the issue of the policy to repair based on dead pixels. But I see you seem to have taken it as that you bought it over seas and not in the US thus they will not help you. Even if you did buy it here, I think you would find the same result based on the policy alone.

Example...Most laptop manufactures (I know, not HT related) will not replace a screen unless it has 15 or more dead or stuck pixels. But the same idea hold true for the HT field. I can contest to this with my notebook having 6 stack pixels and they will not replace the screen. So...I kind of share your frustration.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
David,

I can see this for a $2-$3k projector but this projector retails for $12.5k and the dead mirror is almost dead center. I could understand if it was on the side. Sure I only paid $6.6k but thats alot of money to me. How much would it cost to replace the dmd chip?

I was trying to point out that even US Marantz VP-12S1 buyers will be in trouble with a dead mirror in center of screen even with US model. TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE FOR HOME THEATER! Don't you think?

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hello David,

I think we have to consider to different things :dead pixels on LCD and DLP

-) For LCD (like a laptop) : you needed more dead pixels before a replacement can be done. I've asked Sony (for vpl-vw10HT) and they confirmed they had a table and the number of dead pixels and the place where considered and then they decided you had the right for a replacement yes or no.

-) for DLP (like the marantz) : I was always convinced that a dead pixel was always replaced : it was considered as a problem with the chip. Now I'm surprised to hear that it can be a problem. I have a dead pixel in my demo seleco HT300 and I'm waiting for an answer about this dead pixel. Off-course, because it's my demo-projector, maybe they will do an extra effort to solve this mather, but I certainly want to know what's their regular policy. I don't want to fool my customer by saying they always replace it.

But, off course, I understand the frustration when it happens. And as soon as you know it, you ALWAYS see it.

greetings from Belgium,

Marc Bosmans
www.adynco.com (HomeCinema Center)

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was told Marantz's dead mirror policy is a projector can have up to 5 dead mirrors and it is still within SPECS! So if you buy a $12.5k Home Theater DLP projector-- MARANTZ VP-12S1 - you can have 5 dead mirrors in the center of your screen and they still won't fix it.

How much does the dmd chip cost?

Since it is almost dead center doesn't that matter?

Mike

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Mike,

I feel really bad for your situation. I have never heard of a DLP product not being replaired when a dead pixel occurs. Personally I think that is totally irresponsible.

Approach the situation in the following manner. If there's isn't a dead pixel policy mentioned in the manual, then the projector is out of spec. You're not getting a 1280X720 image.

I really think the squeaky wheel will get the grease in this situation. Dan Miller will be in the Special Guest forum in a week. You might want to ask him why Marantz's dead mirror policy is different than other manufacturers. Even the cheapy presentation projectors have a better warranty policy.

As far as Marantz is concerned, Marantz Asia has a Global Warranty Policy available on-line at Marantz.com

-Mr. Wigggles

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Mike,

It would be interesting to know what the policy is for the Sharp and Seleco before you start bashing Marantz.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
I feel really bad for your situation. I have never heard of a DLP product not being replaired when a dead pixel occurs. Personally I think that is totally irresponsible.
Mr. Wiggles,

I 100% agree. This is a $12.5k retail home theater projector and the dead mirror is dead center...literally!!!

Quote:
It would be interesting to know what the policy is for the Sharp and Seleco before you start bashing Marantz.
John,

I don't care if Sharp says there dead mirror policy is 15 dead mirrors are within spec. I own a Marantz and a dead mirror in the center of my screen is totally unacceptable much less 5 of them!

How would you feel and what would you do if yours developed a dead mirror in the center of the screen?

Mike

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Well, I think I can officially state that this SUCKS and BLOWS both at the same time! I personally think this is unacceptable. Maybe TI will replace it if you give them a call. If seems unusable for its stated purpose if the chip is defective - esp. in the center of the screen. Seems Marantz needs to do there homework if they want to sell to the HT crowd. Imagine car manufactures stating if at least 5 of 6 cylinders are firing it is within spec - it would be laughable.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am now having Kwon check to see how much Marantz will charge to replace the DMD chip. I was trying to get him to tell them this is a home theater projector and is totally unacceptable but I don't think he understands the problem.

Mike

·
Registered
27,351 Posts
Curious! Are there any dealers that allow one to view the PJ before the $$$ is plunked down?

If it is like a lottery of defective pixels / products, I'd rather pay retail to get a perfect specimen then play pixel roulette.

Mike saved $5K. That's alot of dough! However, the 5K savings is unfortunately overshadowed by the 6.6K defective PJ that sits front and center in his theater.

Jeff

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Jeff,

My projector didn't develop the dead mirror until after 100 hours. It had wavy diagonal lines in the background from day 1 and then the day the dead mirror appeared the wavy lines quit for that entire day but started back the next day. I told Marantz that in the letter I sent with projector. I guess they didn't think they were related.

Also, it wouldn't matter if I paid $12.5k for a US Marantz projector as they wouldn't fix a US Marantz projector with same dead mirrors.

This sucks and if i was shopping for a 1280x720 DLP projector right now it would make me stay away from the Marantz!!!!

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts
Will they replace it if you pay for parts and labor? How much would this cost?

I agree that this is totally unacceptable, but it is even worse if you have to live with the projector even if you are willing to pay.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Pultzar,

I am checking now to see how much it will cost to have DMD chip replaced by Marantz. So, I don't know yet. Surely they will replace it if you will pay but I don't think I should have to pay for something like this.

Anybody have a clue how much a 1280x720 DMD chip will cost?

Mike

·
Registered
303 Posts
Mike-

I have to say that I have been interested in the Marantz for my new home theater and am utterly disgusted by this lack of service. I agree with you, any amount of dead pixels is unacceptable...period. It doesn't matter if the projector was $10 or $10k, you still paid for a product that was advertised to perform a specific task correctly and it is deffective, end of discussion. The fact that the unit was so expensive makes matters even worse. The HT market in the 5k and up price range is a niche market, therefore it would not be in Marantz best intrest to burn you. The HT community will get the word out and that will have an impact on sales.

I wish you the best and will be following this thread to hear what happens.

Mark

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Mark,

I am with you, as any dead mirrors on a $12.5k Home Theater Projector is not acceptable. I could live with it if it was on the side but it is dead center!!!

I would definitely stay away from the Marantz VP-12S1 unless they change their 5 dead mirrors is acceptable policy and they also need to get all the other problems with this projector fixed. I would look at either the Sharp, Dwin, or Seleco and check with dealer to make sure dead mirrors aren't within specs!

Anybody have a Sharp, Seleco, Runco, etc. 1280x720 DLP projector with dead mirrors that the manufacturer won't fix?

Mike

·
Registered
916 Posts
Mike,

I think it goes without saying that I'm disgusted at the position Marantz has taken with regards to the defective DMD chip. The fact that this is a home theater projector, NOT a business projector, makes their decision that much worse. Personally, in my opinion, any true home theater projector shouldn't have any defective pixels, period.

On a personal level, I'd like to pass some information along to you to help you with your info gathering. As far as Mitsubishi is concerned, their policy is up to three dead pixels on their LCD projectors and, IF USED EXCLUSIVELY FOR HOME THEATER AND ONE OF THE PIXELS IS LOCATED NEAR THE CENTER, THEY WILL REPAIR THE UNIT AND PAY FOR SHIPPING BACK TO YOU. This was verbally passed on to me by their customer service department when my X70U had a stuck blue lit pixel in the center of the screen.

I hope this information helps you in your quest to get this mess over and done with, once and for all!

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
The only safe way of buying a projector to be dead pixel free is to buy it at a local dealer and not accept it until the dealer allows you to open it and check it. If it has dead pixels, don't accept it.

The terms and conditions of sale probably don't say how many dead pixels are allowed. They can make the spec up on the fly and you are still out-of-luck.

The CRT crowd doesn't have dead pixels, just burn-in instead.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
On a personal level, I'd like to pass some information along to you to help you with your info gathering. As far as Mitsubishi is concerned, their policy is up to three dead pixels on their LCD projectors and, IF USED EXCLUSIVELY FOR HOME THEATER AND ONE OF THE PIXELS IS LOCATED NEAR THE CENTER, THEY WILL REPAIR THE UNIT AND PAY FOR SHIPPING BACK TO YOU. This was verbally passed on to me by their customer service department when my X70U had a stuck blue lit pixel in the center of the screen.
Victor,

You would think this would be the way Marantz would handle dead mirrors. I bought my Marantz from Kwon and it is hard to convey to him that he needs to tell Marantz that their 5 dead mirror policy is unacceptable especially since it is in the middle of the screen. The best I could do was to get him to ask them about how much a new DMD chip is which he said he would do this week.

PLEASE TAKE NOTE OF THIS FOR ANYONE CONSIDERING BUYING THIS PROJECTOR BOTH HERE IN US AND ABROAD.

Mike

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
The only safe way of buying a projector to be dead pixel free is to buy it at a local dealer and not accept it until the dealer allows you to open it and check it. If it has dead pixels, don't accept it.
Ken,

That point is moot because mine was fine until after 100 hours. That is when the mirror/pixel died. The 5 dead mirrors being within specs is Marantz Global's policy for both Japanese and US Marantz projectors.

Quote:
The CRT crowd doesn't have dead pixels, just burn-in instead.
Yeah, as much as I didn't like all the setup of CRTS I never experienced any such problems with my CRT.

Mike

1 - 20 of 291 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.