AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i can't believe nobody's talked about this game yet. it's awesome, baby!

seriously, its FAR better than live 07 and is one hell of a fun and beautiful game. it's scary how accurately they've managed to capture the look, feel and atmosphere of the college game...

it's also much better than the demo that was released last november/december...

·
Registered
1,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by talbain /forum/post/0

i can't believe nobody's talked about this game yet. it's awesome, baby!

seriously, its FAR better than live 07 and is one hell of a fun and beautiful game. it's scary how accurately they've managed to capture the look, feel and atmosphere of the college game...

it's also much better than the demo that was released last november/december...

It's getting lower review ratings by 10 to 15%, across the board, than College Hoops 2K7. I've played both demos and preferred the CH 2K7 game there, but I've learned not to make a final judgement based on demos. I hope that MM 2007 has gotten over the crippling framerate problems of the demo. I found that demo virtually unplayable because of it.

I rented NBA 2K7, and I really liked the way it played... not a bad looker either. Problem is that I just don't dig the NBA game: the rules, the style of play, the atmosphere... none of it measures up to college basketball, but that's a just a personal preference.

I'll try both games on a rental before deciding which way to go. Now that the bowls and most of the NFL playoff action is over, I can take my mind off football for a while

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
definitely give it a try. first off, it's absolutely beautiful in hd. second, i've been to probably a half dozen or so college arenas in the game, and can say that they have nailed the look and feel perfectly. thirdly, the surround sound, momentum and problems of playing in the hostile environment have been demonstrated better than in any other sports game i've ever played. take rutgers into cameron indoor and you'll (probably) get slaughtered (and the crazies will go nuts in the process). play two nonsense teams against one another and you might draw a couple thousand to the game, with no tv coverage (no vitale and co calling the game since its not a televised game) and so much quiet that you can hear a pin drop in addition to the squeaks of the shoes.

framerate is not a factor at all, and as i said, the game is an order of magnitude better than nba live 07. it's a fun, incredibly exciting game...

there's a detailed impressions thread here

http://forums.operationsports.com/vB...d.php?t=195716

and you'll also discover that a bunch of volunteers managed to put together the real names of the entire ncaa div 1 roster, which you can download in game via the ea locker.

don't let the demo fool you. i had alot of issues with the demo as well. final product is in fact much better (and more complete as they added little moves like the ability to raise your arms on defense, which was not in the demo)

its a great great game. not perfect, but ea's best effort in a loooooong time...

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I picked this up and I think I like it. It seems a bit rough around the edges.

Some questions:

Why do the pop-up stats go away so quick?

When coming back from the half, it doesn't wait for you to hit a button. All of a sudden we're in the game. I don't even see the inbound pass.

The recruiting interface is pretty cumbersome. Is there a way to just see players that have an interest in my school, or do I have to look through the 100's of players?

I'm playing a Dynasty with a small school, do I only get the actual announcers when doing a big game?

Defensive fouls get out of hand quickly. I had 20 (AI player) fouls in 1 half. I suspect this is caused by composure being low (we were getting blown out too)?

Is there a way to see a scouting report on the opposing team?

How do you setup the default plays your team will start out in?

The impact moment system is a bit of a pain. I have the meter filled but having to wait until a stoppage sometimes takes a while. If they score or one of my guys fouls, I lose the moment.

The manual is pretty thin...

Thats all I can think of right now

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the ice skating was fixed as of live 07. players in both games have real weight to them and you can't stop on a dime at all...

as to aegisx questions:

pop up stats do go away quickly, i agree. i also think there aren't enough of them. for a game with espn integration, you would think there would be more...still, the actual stat tracking is excellent. you just need to pause the game to take a look at it lol

they give you a full halftime show with the cheerleaders dancing around, the mascot acting like an idiot and some talking. if you're not ready to play after that then i don't know what to tell you...

as of right now, nobody's found a way to make recruiting less of a chore. not saying there's not a way (since as you said the manual is terrible), but we're still working on it

playing dynasty with a small school means (unfortunately?) that nobody cares about your game lol. you get the arena announcer and that's it. for me its a very cool and realistic touch.

i had this same complaint after the first few games. after learning how to play smart, i've found the fouls are very realistic. keep pounding the ball inside and the other team will hammer you. and as you said, you really have to watch your composure on the road. make smart use of your timeouts. now (without touching sliders at all) i'm averaging between 15-25 ft attempts, which is very realistic. same for the cpu...

i haven't found any in game scouting reports, but the teams in the game are extremely faithful to their real life counterparts...

you can set up plays any number of ways. when choosing your starting lineup you can hit the LB to call up your offensive and defensive sets. i believe it defaults to the play set in your profile, so if you want to play realistically, you can change it to the team specific strategy and playbook on this screen. in game, you can choose plays and sets from the team management screen

the impact moment is special and needs to be done during a stoppage (to prevent delay of game or getting a technical). but you don't have to wait for a stoppage in play to use the meter to impact momentum. you can it the LB in game and then choose what you want to do using the right analog stick. when you hit the button it will call up 4 choices, pump up the crowd, taunt the other team (watch this, as i've seen technicals called), compose your teammates or compose yourself...any of which can have a huge impact on momentum...

the manual is terrible...

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Thanks for the info.

I have to check on the half time, I generally expect a prompt of sorts to return to the game.

With recruiting, you can sort the columns, but not the column with preferred schools, grrr.

Announcers, yea I just wanted to make sure I was not missing some option. I like playing a small school and building them up.

I've played 3 games into the season so far and am 2 - 1. I will probably start over as I didn't put many recruits on my short list, as I got frustrated with the crappy recruiting interface.

One neat thing is that you can alter the schedule. Does it allow you to alter conference games? I would think that could be trouble, as you could not play enough or play a team too much.

How long of halves do you normally play?

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Ahh recruiting! The screen shows a map where your players are from. You would think this would let you filter by state...

I found the scouting. Its under the gameplan planning thingy. You have to apply points to it.

Lost the first game of the new season 48 - 41 vs Penn State. It was a good game though, not 100 fouls. I pretty much lost it as we were playing HC trap and FC Press a bunch. I would be covering the guy with the ball, he'd pass it and head toward the basket. I'm not too good at staying with him yet, so some easy baskets for them.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Any ACC or UVA basketball peeps out there want to do this Wahoo/ACC fan a favor??? Pleaseeeeee lol.

I am interested in what JPJ (our new arena) looks like in MM. I bought CB2K7 but ended up trading it in because I didn't like the gameplay around the basket (too many missed layups/short shots). It also bugged me that they had JPJ in the game but it was clearly our old arena (U-Hall) with some extra seats placed around the court.

Hoo knows maybe even a 'Heel, Hokie, or Terp can find it in their heart to help me out...... lol

·
Registered
528 Posts

Quote:

do you have some shots of the arena i can compare it to?

Sure. I haven't taken/couldn't find many shots showing the entire arena but here is a pic from back in April before they laid the floor out.

JPJ pic

And here are a few I took when we played Arizona back in November.

***edit - duh...forgot the attachments

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I want to get this game but I just bought the Wireless Racing Wheel and Fuzion Frenzy, Crackdwon and NBA Street are all coming out in the next month. Can't afford this too. I emjoyed the gameplay of the March Madness demo ten times more than I enjoyed the 2K game. I actually purchased 2K for $43 and put it up on ebay the following day.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I like the graphics of this game better than 2k7, but the gameplay is entirely different and in my opinion much better in 2k7. I cannot stand the choppy gameplay, the ball poping in and out of players hands, and the most unrealistic ball physics ever. MM is better than Live 07, but not by enough for me to purchase. I love the gameplay of 2k7, but I wish they could get the lighting better because I do think MM 07 looks prettier graphically. I love to see screenshots, but once in motion, it's another story.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Also the menu system and overall presentation of MM is better than 2k7 and MM feels more next gen overall. Though the menu's for MLB 2k7 look much better from the gamplay vids I saw, so maybe 2k8 b-ball will finally step up.

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wokisan /forum/post/0

Any ACC or UVA basketball peeps out there want to do this Wahoo/ACC fan a favor??? Pleaseeeeee lol.

I am interested in what JPJ (our new arena) looks like in MM. I bought CB2K7 but ended up trading it in because I didn't like the gameplay around the basket (too many missed layups/short shots). It also bugged me that they had JPJ in the game but it was clearly our old arena (U-Hall) with some extra seats placed around the court.

Hoo knows maybe even a 'Heel, Hokie, or Terp can find it in their heart to help me out...... lol

well i hate to be the bearer of bad news but it looks like they did the same thing in march madness. the arena is called jpj, but it looks nothing at all like the pics you posted. i'm assuming it's the old building as well...

·
Registered
528 Posts

Quote:

well i hate to be the bearer of bad news but it looks like they did the same thing in march madness. the arena is called jpj, but it looks nothing at all like the pics you posted. i'm assuming it's the old building as well...

Figures...lol. Thanks for checking it out for me.

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wokisan /forum/post/0

hey wokisan, GREAT win last night. you should be damn proud of your team there. i freaking hate duke...

and i have to say, that new arena is beautiful! it's really a shame it's not in the college games this year. maybe ea will offer it as a free (yeah right) download...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.