AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,234 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoogmr /forum/post/0

According to IGN, NOA has announced that Mario Kart 64 will be released on the Virtual Console next week. Oh happy day!

http://wii.ign.com/articles/757/757738p1.html

If only it had online multiplayer!

Great release, enjoyed it more than double dash...I have to be honest, since we have gotten the Wii we rarely use it for the VC if at all because of the price and lack of upgrades done to the games...I dont see why we cant get MP support...10 bucks is definately justifiable for this game, but not when you own the original its not and their are no enhancements...That is my biggest peeve with the VC from Nintendo...

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
I loved MK64 in college, but never owned my own N64. We loved Double Dash on the GC but MK64 always has a special place in our hearts. This is one of the few VC games I have been waiting for. (Goldeneye is the other).

·
Registered
719 Posts
Welcome to Mario Kart..................

·
Registered
58 Posts
Now, if only they can release Paper Mario and Bomberman 64.

The N64 was the one Nintendo console I skipped (Final Fantasy went PS1, and therefore so did I) but I've been meaning to purchase a used one lately to play Mario Kart 64, Paper Mario, and Bomberman 64. All great games I had a chance to play on a friend's system back in the day. Heck, my wife and I own Paper Mario 2 for the GCN and will be buying Super Paper Mario for the Wii when it comes out this year, but both of us refuse to play the games out of sequence -- hence, neither will be touched until the original 64 version is played.

These releases + the GCN Zelda Collector's Edition disc would more or less entirely make up for my N64-less years.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
What's weird is I never played Mario Kart 64, I dont think. I played only the super nintendo one and the GC one.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Got a Japanese import of MarioKart64 on the day of release (my parents were in the states at the time.. it cost $130!!!)

Its my favorite of the series.. closely followed by the DS version (Why did they leave out the N64 beach track on the DS though!)

When is it coming to the European VC? That'll be my first purchase on it!

·
Registered
3,135 Posts

Quote:
my wife and I own Paper Mario 2 for the GCN and will be buying Super Paper Mario for the Wii when it comes out this year, but both of us refuse to play the games out of sequence -- hence, neither will be touched until the original 64 version is played.

Then shouldn't you start with Super Mario RPG for the SNES? I was under the impression that Paper Mario was a sequel to that.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I've actually always disliked Mario Kart 64, Super Mario Kart was such an essential part of growing up

Actually until a mishap with the snes last year, Super Mario Kart was still played regularly. When it NBA Jam and Super Mario World are released all will be well again.

·
Registered
92 Posts
are VC games only playable with the classic controller?

i ask becuase i don't have any, nor do i have any VC games :/

but Mario Kart is definitely one i'm interested in.

that, and Street Fighter...and goldeneye when it comes out :p

·
Registered
416 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicada /forum/post/0

are VC games only playable with the classic controller?

i ask becuase i don't have any, nor do i have any VC games :/

but Mario Kart is definitely one i'm interested in.

that, and Street Fighter...and goldeneye when it comes out :p

you can use a gamecube controller for n64.....depending on amount of buttons needed of course..there should be no problem

once its released, if you go on store and select the game (before buying) it will tell you what controllres you can use...

·
Registered
58 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joekun /forum/post/0

Then shouldn't you start with Super Mario RPG for the SNES? I was under the impression that Paper Mario was a sequel to that.

Paper Mario is more like a "spiritual sucessor" to Mario RPG than a direct sequel or remake. Similar to how Elite Beat Agents is considered a "spiritual sucessor" to Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan. Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga and Mario & Luigi Partners in Time also fall into this realm. Granted, this is just splitting hairs and SMRPG and the Paper Mario series meld together quite well.

As for me, I've already played SMRPG -- hence the need to start with Paper Mario. It's been awhile though, so I might just go out and pickup an old cart. All in all, there's very few SNES games I haven't played atleast once. It's still my favorite console, and one that still received the most use in my house up until about 2 years ago. It's the N64 that I skipped, and that's the move I'm trying to undo with VC titles.

·
Registered
266 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dklayn /forum/post/0

Now, if only they can release Paper Mario and Bomberman 64.

The N64 was the one Nintendo console I skipped (Final Fantasy went PS1, and therefore so did I) but I've been meaning to purchase a used one lately to play Mario Kart 64, Paper Mario, and Bomberman 64. All great games I had a chance to play on a friend's system back in the day. Heck, my wife and I own Paper Mario 2 for the GCN and will be buying Super Paper Mario for the Wii when it comes out this year, but both of us refuse to play the games out of sequence -- hence, neither will be touched until the original 64 version is played.

These releases + the GCN Zelda Collector's Edition disc would more or less entirely make up for my N64-less years.

You may want to try StarFox 64 if it ever gets released. It was the best in the series.

Hopefully the wait for Paper Mario won't be too long because it would be smart to release it so that it's available to ride the wave of publicity Super Paper Mario will be generating in the gaming press. Unfortunately, Nintendo doesn't seem to be making the smartests choices when it comes to the VC (for example, they haven't released Castlevania Bloodlines to exploit the current popularity of its sequel Portrait of Ruin on the DS), so I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo fails to exploit this Paper Mario connection as well.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scs0 /forum/post/0

You may want to try StarFox 64 if it ever gets released. It was the best in the series.

Hah, I still remember the ending to Starfox FX on snes. One of the best endings ever imo

64 had the best replay value with its multiplayer. Now that was fun!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.