AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to build a new home and I'm having trouble coming to a decision on an antenna to mount in the attic. I know having it in the attic is not optimal but mounting it outside isn't an option in the neighborhood I'll be building in. Here are my signal analysis results:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d5b94a862efbd6b

I'm really only concerned with picking up the stations that are northwest of my house (KGAN, KCRG, KRIN, KWWL, KPXR) with one exception, KFXA, which is west. I originally thought I'd just get something directional like a Winegard HD7694P but I'm worried about it picking up KFXA if I point it in the direction most of the signals are coming from.

Also, I'm curious whether or not I'll need a pre-amp. I'll be sending this signal to at least 8 rooms and my longest run will be about 100 feet (antenna to wall plate). The stations that I want to pick up aren't too far away but between the attic, splitter, & cable run, is that enough signal loss to require a pre-amp?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
I'd throw a ClearStream 2V or an RCA ANT71R up there, split the difference, and use a passive 8-way splitter. Your signals are very strong and you can easily tolerate the insertion loss of both the splitter and the cabling without decreasing your noise margin by more than 20. With NMs in the 40s and 50s, you have plenty of margin as long as you don't obstruct the antenna's signal path.

As far as the neighborhood, you have the right under federal law to install your antenna. See the FCC's OTARD rule (google it)

·
Registered
208 Posts
I'd measure how big of an antenna your attic can hold and buy the largest UHF/VHF combo Yagi you can fit in there. Depending on the space in the attic you might be able to mount it on a rotor and pick up Quad Cities or Ottumwa. Without a rotor, you should pick up KFXA and all the rest by pointing it a little west of Walker (298 degrees).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts