·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:D

Mark Cuban needs to get his own satellite -

dedicated to HD !!! This is the only way we

will get all the channels we deserve !! ESPN-HD

Discovery-HD - All the network stations ...

Would that be cool or what !

Mark you can do it !!!

sam

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
While were on this topic, I have (not really a rant but and obersvation) about HDnet. It seems to me that Hdnet will never be more than a demo channel with the good sporting event unless they start to produce some of their own programming. Buying PBS stuff isnt going to work for too much longer and it seems to me that if Mark really wants to compete with teh big biys he needs to start developing some series that you can only find on his channels.. Sopranos comes to mind. For example there has been discussions that NBC may be dropping "Ed" which has some pretty good ratings. Lets say they do and Mark would buy it up (not even sure if you can but this is just an example) and started paying to develop new episodes. I would bet that quite a few would be adding HDnet to their programming if he started to get something you cant find on other channels... I know HDnet does shoot a few of their own shows (Bikini Dest, War coverage, etc.) but these are still demo material and not a series.

I know producing you own stuff costs major dinero but one day the contracts wont be renewed... when that happens what is Mark going to fall back on?

Even news, I wouldnt mind if most of the stuff wasnt in HD, It would still be cool to have one station for national news that was in HDTV...

This is just my opionion so, but its how I see Hdnet developing from a consumer standpoint...

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I think I have read where Mark has stated he believes the two killer apps for HD are sports and movies, and that is what he is trying to do. A special series may be expensive to acquire without pulling significant new viewers over to his channel.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Quote:
It seems to me that Hdnet will never be more than a demo channel with the good sporting event unless they start to produce some of their own programming. Buying PBS stuff isnt going to work for too much longer and it seems to
I wish that the content on HBO and Showtime could be as good and diverse and exciting as whats on HDNet. Not only that, I don't like any of the self produced shows that Discovery (same stuff repeated all the time all day long), HBO and Showtime have. I really like the fact that HDNet offers the chance to see older shows in HD that have only been broadcast in the NTSC format. There are specials all the time such as coverage of electronic shows and gatherings such as the Spring Break, CES and NAB. There seems to be an addition of new movies on HDNet...the new movie series I think it's called. One new movie per week or something like that. The sporting events ALL in HD compared to only one boxing show that was on Showtime that I know of (and only lasted about a minute). There is the Mark Cuban Show, Higher Definition, the music series and new content added all the time. If you want to call it a demo channel, your welcome to do so. I see HDNet as one of the most entertaining networks out there, much more so than MOST networks with their own produced programming.

And it's FREE!

I would pay for HDNet and still love it.

Did I mention all of the cool movie trailers? New movie trailers are always being added. It seems to me I remember people watching the Superbowl who could not get enough of the movie trailer commercials in HD.

·
Registered
6,557 Posts
The killer app for HDTV is 99¢ PPV 15 minute OAR DD5.1 pr0n. Only I know it though.

Cause would you really need more than 15mins if it was HD?

·
Banned
3,772 Posts
LOL. Sounds like MC might have that one under development as well.

HDnet is cool for what it is. The world only wants so many channels like that, but it is great that we have at least one. Sort of like what PBS would have been if they had a billionaire sugar daddy.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Original scripted series production for a market of fewer than one million vieweers is just not cost effective. I suspect that if HDNet were to start doing things like that, Mark Cuban wouldn't be a billionaire for long.

I wouldn't be surprised if HDNet does start providing such programming as the HD market expands enough to absorb at least some of the cost of producing such programs.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Yeah, there are a ton of quality series that were shot on film that could be aired in HD (and probably be picked up cheaply enough. I suspect that was the case with "First Monday", a well-written series. If a series doesn't last long enough to make it to syndication, it apparently never makes money...it's all a crap shoot trying to survive long enough. I, for one, would love it if more quality series that were smothered in the cradle could be reborn on HD-NET. "Cupid" (stupid name, brilliant series) and "Due South" would be on the top of my list, as well as "Twin Peaks". I suspect a lot of series were shot 16:9 safe for showing in the U.K.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
It's hardly an easy feat to pull off putting up your own satellite! You first need to buy transponders somewhere which will cost millions... you then need another billion dollars to build, launch, build a uplink center and maintain the satellite for just the first year alone! That no small investment for even someone like Mark Cuban!

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
As Mark has made clear, both in posts on this Forum and in interviews elsewhere - HD-Net has a budget. A big budget by the standards of your average guy, but a tiny one by the standards of most networks. The number I recall hearing was that he was willing to gamble $100 million on this venture. That sounds like a lot, but that would disappear in a season if he were to try to produce a slate of original shows. A single episode of a mediocre half-hour network sitcom costs more than a million, from what I've heard.

The approach he's taking appears to be working, and he looks to be well on the way to being to HD what Ted Turner was to basic cable.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,646 Posts
Quote:
Mark Cuban not thinking big enough
As opposed to not thinking at all?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Without Mark Cuban's help we are going to be looking at no more than one or two new HD channel every year on Directv/Dish. I think many of us are willing to pay extra to get these channels. HD PPV may be a successful as well ?

The TV manufacturers have been supporting the production of HD network shows - maybe they will pitch in to start such a service as well ?

Just dreaming !!!

sam

·
Registered
51 Posts
I dont know what you guys are complaining about. Tell me, where else can you go and watch Hogen's Heroes in HD?

·
Registered
208 Posts
I don't think it's complaining. I think it's wishing.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.