Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Mark I see your posting again.

I havent seen you on the board in quite some time Im glad to see your back, Hope everything is going well!

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Oh, I’ve been around.

I would not say that I’ve lost interest because this is a hobby that really keeps re-newing itself as new movies are released and you use your theater to watch them. I’d say that I have been very busy doing other things recently. Still building my house, trying to restore an old car, family stuff, etc.

I have been checking in at AVS from time to time, just not posting. As you can attest, once you have been posting for a while, the whopping majority of your posts become responses to other member’s questions. Here lately, I have felt that I had something to contribute to the forum so I have been active again. Hopefully, I will stay that way for a while.

AVS is truly is the best forum of any kind on the web. The size and quality are overwhelming and AVS has done an amazing job.

Now, if we can just get my friend Chuck Williams to get back on-line, we’ll be in good shape :D I know he has been spending some time out of the country lately.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Torre

Now, if we can just get my friend Chuck Williams to get back on-line, we’ll be in good shape :D I know he has been spending some time out of the country lately.
I know. I miss Chuck's helpful posts.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by KennyG
Mark, what kind of car are you restoring?
A 1979 Silver Anniversary Edition Trans Am.

Here is a photo of me and my kid when we picked it up last April My Trans Am

This is the same model of my very first car when I was 17 yrs. old. I sold it in 1984 and regret it to this day. I plan to sink about $25,000 into this one to make it a show car.

Thanks for you interest. BTW, I still mention Taco Rock to people every time the subject of Mexican food comes up :D

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Hi Mark!

Whatya puttin' under the hood of that thing?? A big block?!?

Brad

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
It doesn't really look like it needs restoring???

Hey, perhaps you and your son will take a trip down here in your Trans-Am???

Think about it...nice sunny day, "T" tops off, then we all go for a bite over at Taco Rock!

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I was starting to think that thris thread was getting OT but I guess I AM the topic :D (thanks Vic).

Kenny, funny that you mention it because there is an annual spring Trans Am show in Pensacola every April. So I am sure that I'll make it down there eventually. Next time, I'll pay for the lunch.

The car is solid and all original and perfectly driveable as is, however, I plan to tear it down and rebuild it.

Brad, I will leave the small block 403 as the power plant. I may spice it up a little though, just as I did to my first one 20 years ago.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Yes, I know about the Pontiac show, it's a couple weeks before my Mustang get together! This year I saw one of the old 70/71 trans-am series firebirds of Jerry Titus there!

·
Banned
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
NO Problem Mark :)

If it wasnt for you I might not have tried using a line doubler on my 1031Q. To this day I sit there amased at how damn good it looks. Of course I am into my second unit, something wet nuts in the one I originally had the doubler on and this one is in MINT condition with new tubes (I tubed this one) and all the body parts. NOT one spec of dust in it when I got it except funged tubes which I pulled and installed a new set. I later defunged the original tubes and sent them to a client in Italy!

Again Mark thanks!

PS WOW I havent seen one of those cars in a long time COOL.

And when you do see one they turn heads like they did in '79

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Quote:
Hey, there's so many super qualified folks here you guys don't need me anymore! I'd love to spend more time here, but I'm really swamped (a good thing :cool: )

Cool car, Mark! Of course, you've always had cool cars. My first V8 ever was a '79 Pontiac Firebird, and I knew then I'd always need a car with 32 valves!

Chuck

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
used to have a 79 trans-am with a 301- turbo charged v-8 with all the bells and whistles, would smoke the doors off anything that had 4 wheals took my future missus on a date in it and freaked her out so bad that she refused to get back in it and made me sell it, then i went and bought a 67 camaro ss 350 v-8 450, hp 13 to one compression 4 spd with all of the fun things that you can put under the hood, very fast, lousey gas mileage, made the missus even angrier, so i have been regulated to a 97 ford f-150, v6 with 5spd over drive with great gas mileage (for a pickup) and some fond memories of the fun years..............

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Chuck, its good to hear from you (I received your e-mail at home as well).

Thanks for the compliments about the cars. My daily driver is the F-350 Crew Cab that is pulling the Trans Am in the photo. Of course, I have to have a weekend driver as well. As you know, I had the Jaguar convertible, then I had this one Corvette

and now I have this one Vanden Plas I guess, I decided that the "weekend driver" still needs to fit in the whole family. I love this Jaguar! I drives like a dream and it has the best sounding audio that I have ever heard.

Chuck, I want to let you know that the '79 Firebird only had 16 valves, unless it was a 6-banger and then it would only have 12 :D

Penticton102, I think the turbo charged 301 was not available until 1980. It may have been different in Canada, however. Also, an engine with 13:1 compression would knock like crazy with anything less than 100 octane gasoline. You'd probably had to run a racing grade fuel in that thing. OUCH, thats expensive.

Manny, love the car. I restored a Dodge B-body myself. A 1969 Charger with a 440 six pack pulled from a Roadrunner. I'll try to dig up a photo of that one.

I sure hope the moderators don't get upset with all of this OT talk.

You guys are always so much fun to chat with.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
mark you're right even burning number one fuel the motor would ping that 13 to one made the old girl sound like a funny car, or farm tractor, lot of fun to drive (occasionally) the knock on the 301 turbo was the propensity to turn a bearing at high rpm, only flaw that i could see in the motor , other than that it was a fun ride, so thats what we did in hour younger years tweak cars, until the crt came along..........

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Quote:

...and now I have this one Vanden Plas I guess, I decided that the "weekend driver" still needs to fit in the whole family. I love this Jaguar! I drives like a dream and it has the best sounding audio that I have ever heard.

Chuck, I want to let you know that the '79 Firebird only had 16 valves, unless it was a 6-banger and then it would only have 12 :D

I sure hope the moderators don't get upset with all of this OT talk.

You guys are always so much fun to chat with.
TOO COOL! You look great in a Jaguar, any model!

BTW, I'm no camhead, but my '79 Pontiac was my first ever eight cylinder car (and I just assumed that meant 32 valve) and I'll always have loving memories of it and my misspent youth! I drove a Nissan 300ZX for a disappointing while, but NEVER AGAIN! Eight cylinders (or 32 valves) just puuuurrrr. And growl when you demand it!

And, I think the moderators of this august forum will allow this off topic exchange.

Chuck

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MannyE
I seem to notice a proclivity for HT enthusiasts to also be car enthusiasts.

Just proves that we are soooooooo much cooler than "audiophiles".

They all drive old beat-up Saabs ;)

http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/commun...uel&uzip=33140
I started as an audiophile...my 2 channel system grow into my HT...I simply added the center and two side surrounds to my original mains, traded in my Audio Research Pre Amp for a controller, and added more amps.

I was into music long before cars, and I started working on dirt bikes and cars at 15.

First car...a 66 Maroon Pontiac GTO with 389 tri-power. Seven Mustangs after that, one an acid dip restoration, and a body off 70 corvette resto.

My next car comes in 2005...the new Mustang.

Cars? Oh Yeah...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.