AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I just bought a 50" Samsung DLP TV last month. I came home today to find that someones kid marked on my screen while I was at work. Needless to say I more then upset. I wanted to know if there is anyway to clean without damaging the screen. Any advise would be helpful.

Thanks,

Rob

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I'd suggest you post this in the Rear Projection TV forum. The screens here are front projector screens. If the marking was from a water based marker, I'd predict a good outcome; you may have real problems if it was a solvent based permanent marker.

·
Registered
21 Posts
As Mraub said, If it's a water based, you likely can just wipe it off. If it's dry erase, It may come off, or the solvent may have bonded it to the screen. If it's a permanent marker, then usually alcohol will dissolve it. The problem is that pure alcohol will damage a lot of plastics, esp clear ones like lexan. I would start out with 50% rubbing alcohol and water, try that, then slowly increase the alcohol until it dissolves the marker. It would also be a good

idea to try the mix on a small corner of the screen each time, to be sure there isn't some bad reaction. If it's going to work, it will lift the marker almost instantly, so don't let it soak. Wipe on, wipe off.

Best of luck!

Ken

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
On vinyl based projection screen (non coated), acetone will take off permanent marker without causing any problems.... not sure what it will do on things like rear projection screens.... sounds like some kids weekly allowance might be directed to a replacement fund for a llllloooooonnnngggg time... :) ....:-( Good luck

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you are considering using solvents to remove the permenant marker, try several solvents in order of strength:

1. Ethanol - beleive it or not, you can remove permenant marker using ethanol and some effort. It's also very mild so it shouldn't damage your screen. Try vodka first (basically ethanol dilluted to 40%) and grain alcohol (95% ethanol) may be successful. Ethanol is the best solvent to use with the least risk of damaging the plastic.

2. 2-propanol - dilluted at 50% - This is rubbing alcohol. The stuff you get at the drug store may be around 70%. Try dilluting it to 50% and gently scrub at it without scrubbing hard enough to damage the surface. You shouldnt have any problem with 100% rubbing alcohol; it's pretty weak in the scheme of things, however it can damage some sensitive coatings and some plastics.

3. 1-propanol - you might have a hard time finding this, but it is a better solvent than the rubbing alcohol. Again, dilute and folllow the same procedure as above.

3. Lighter Fluid - Naphtha -Shouldnt cause a problem with most plastics, but be very careful. It is not soluble in water so it can't be dilluted.

4. Ethyl Acetate - be VERY careful. Not as strong as Acetone, however it will damage a lot of plastics. Test on a small corner of the screen. This is the stuff in acetone free nail polish remover.

5. Acetone - Again, be very careful and test on a very small part of the screen first.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.