AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about upgrading in size from my 58" Panny to a 65". It's been a while since I had looked at the market and my first impression was "hey! where'd all the plasma's go?!!"

Seems all there is are marginally performing 4K's and mediocre LCD's. Somebody forgot to tell the TV industry what PC gamers already know....... if you want smooth action you gotta have low latency and high refresh which is or was the attraction of plasma.

So is there anything out there that compares to the buttery flow of live action sports on a plasma or are we in holding until 4K gets its sheet together?

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
4k and plasma are not related...

plasma is dead for all intents and purposes, if you want one, snap up an f8500 as soon as you can and hold on tight. the motion issues you refer to are lcd related, and 1080p or 4k isn't going to make a bit of difference. the truth is the 4k sets on the market represent the best lcd has to offer, it's not going to get much better, only cheaper.

and now the REALLY bad news... oled, which is the 'saving grace' of plasma fans has a lot more in common with lcd when it comes to motion performance. it's unlikely oled will provide the same kind of motion plasma did, but it does promise benefits in other crucial areas, so fortunately it won't be as bad as lcd(overall).

imo, if motion handling is your main concern, the only thing you have to look forward to is HFR, IF it ever gets adopted. that's probably the only thing that can make motion look better on lcd or oled. and imo, it's also the better fix. it only makes sense, if you want smoother motion you need a SOURCE with a higher frame rate. anything else is just processing that will trade one compromise for another(ie artifacts for smooth motion). even plasma has its inherent issues with motion when displaying 30fps.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts