AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just picked up the above projector & only the green tube lights up, what could be wrong?? I got it cheap & maybe this is why :(

Mike in GB

·
Registered
54 Posts
Do you have the full service manual? If you reset it back to absolute scratch, you might get them to turn on. I know there's a way to turn the tubes on and off electronically through the utility menu. But if that doesn't work,... jiggle the thingy... or tap on side.

If that doesn't work you'll have to get your hands dirty and open 'er up.

If you need a manual I can proboably email one to you.

Gyv

·
Registered
7,535 Posts
Yep, the first thing is to turn it on, wait a few minutes, then press the "reset" button on the back. Then wait a minute and turn it back on. Then go into the service menu and perform a full reset.

If still no red or blue, turn the contrast way up (for no longer than a few seconds) and look into the red and blue tubes and see if they are lighting up at all, even just a little bit. If they light up just a little, then I think that's a filement voltage wasted tube. If they don't light up at all, then I might think there is a dead board or loose connection somewhere.

Did the 8000's suffer from filament voltage problems? I can't remember.

·
Registered
18,506 Posts
They can, I just got in a 10 K hour 8000 with a completely dead blue tube.

Hopefully it's a video input or output card, but it wouldn't be the first time I've had a dead MEC tube with a normal filament voltage.

Curt

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
Hey,

Sounds like filiment problems is a possibility.

Anyway, Mike, if you determine that it's not worth it to fix for some reason and you consider selling parts, I would be interested in the High Voltage Power Supply.

-Brian

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the replies so far, I'll attempt the reset tomorrow if need be. The disappointing part of this is that the green is the BAD tube, provided I get these all working again, how much life can one expect to get out of this?

(edited) My pic of the tubes is now in my Gallery...

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
By the way, how much would such a High Voltage Power supply cost?

Nicholas

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, it's that one - should've figured it was too good to be true. All is not lost yet, I'll try what some of the folks here have proposed. If it still doesn't work after that, I don't know what I'll do... Should've looked it over a bit more before I agreed to take it, but I was already there after a modest road trip & was over excited at the idea of getting the Marquee.

Quote:
Originally posted by siropa
Mike,

Is this the set from that guy in Madison?

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I'd have thought you would have been satisfied with those PT-200's :) I never bothered to go down and look at that set. The guy was really hard to get info from when I was emailing him. Hope you got a good enough deal to make up for the replacement parts you are going to have to find.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You've got a smiley there, but you know what, you're probably right... I've had a lot of good fortune & luck since my ahead-of-schedule intro to home theater & maybe just should've been been a little more patient & enjoyed what I had (not to mention actually try to set it up properly). I had a pretty good run going up to this point & this can be as addictive as gambling &, in a way, it is gambling really. First, I got your PT200 for nothing, then the 1031q for 25 bucks, then the used momitsu & iScan ultra for really good prices - the lure of a cheap Marquee was too tempting... Sooner or later the run had to come to an end right? See you Saturday...

Mike

Quote:
I'd have thought you would have been satisfied with those PT-200's :) I never bothered to go down and look at that set. The guy was really hard to get info from when I was emailing him. Hope you got a good enough deal to make up for the replacement parts you are going to have to find.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update on the marquee, I got all 3 tubes to light up! I fired it up before I had to go to work, I hit the "#" on the remote & got the crosshatch on all 3 tubes, thank God. I didn't have time to try to hook up a video source to it though, so while it may not be 100%, this is at least a good sign.

I'll try hooking up the momitsu tonight, what would it mean if only the green lights up then??

Thanks for all replies - Mike in GB

·
Premium Member
17,098 Posts
Hmmm... if you get all 3 tubes on the # crosshatch, but only green from a DVD player... it sounds like you're trying to use the component outputs from the DVD player.

To get RGBHV out of the Momitsu, you need a DVI->HD15->5BNC adapter and cable. You can't use the 3 RCA plugs which are colored Red, Green, and Blue... that's component output, not RGB.

Or maybe a bad VIM. Pull the input card and check the 3 mini-RCA connectors.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
:( :) :D

I just hooked up the Momitsu & we are in business!!!

Here's where I think the issues were, the guy I bought it from had it hooked up via component to his OTA HDTV with a cord ending in 3 RCA's to BNC adapters & wasn't using RGBHV, this is when it was only lighting the green tube... Honestly, I was tempted to walk at that point & leave empty handed as he stated in his e-mails that it was fully functioning. I'm thinking he hastily set it up as he had a brand new Infocus X2 mounted to his ceiling.

I still felt it was a worthy investment & that someone here would have answers or ideas, that turned out to be a good move- thanks everyone :) Now, I've just got to get a screen... BTW, how much life do you folks think that green tube has left (pic is in my gallery)?

Mike in GB

P.S. Clarence, do you recommend the ACON unit? This one doesn't have it, but I may be interested in picking one up down the line.

Quote:
Originally posted by Clarence
Hmmm... if you get all 3 tubes on the # crosshatch, but only green from a DVD player... it sounds like you're trying to use the component outputs from the DVD player.

To get RGBHV out of the Momitsu, you need a DVI->HD15->5BNC adapter and cable. You can't use the 3 RCA plugs which are colored Red, Green, and Blue... that's component output, not RGB.

Or maybe a bad VIM. Pull the input card and check the 3 mini-RCA connectors.

·
Premium Member
17,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Clarence

Quote:
Originally posted by MMcDermott

had it hooked up via component to his OTA HDTV with a cord ending in 3 RCA's to BNC adapters & wasn't using RGBHV, this is when it was only lighting the green tube...
Woo-hoo! I got one right!
Quote:
BTW, how much life do you folks think that green tube has left (pic is in my gallery)?
Well, let's just say any additional wear won't be noticeable for at least another 2000 hours. Another answer might be that the green tube will last until you see what a Marquee with fresh tubes can do. It really depends on what you're used to. But stay within the current worn area... don't try to maximize the raster now... it's too late. And seeing the unworn phosphor projected next to the worn phosphor will only make it look worse on the screen.

A bit of a ramble, but I have a M8500 that had green wear MUCH less than that... it bothered me, especially in the transition beyond the worn area; since I was used to no wear from my M8000. And I had a pristine set of tubes, so I swapped them in. But then I got a 1208s/2 with a Green tube much worse than your tube... and the projected image doesn't bother me at all.
Quote:
Clarence, do you recommend the ACON unit? This one doesn't have it, but I may be interested in picking one up down the line.
I think they're fun and good for a quick setup, especially for newbies. But once you do it manually a dozen times, you're going to end up fine tuning it anyways. And after your setup stabilizes (you quit moving your projector location and sources), you're not going to be re-doing convergence very often anyways.

I'd value ACON at $100-$200.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Great that you got it working. Now stop looking for projectors ;) The convergance isn't all that hard. Personally I wouldn't waste the money.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MMcDermott
Update on the marquee, I got all 3 tubes to light up! I fired it up before I had to go to work, I hit the "#" on the remote & got the crosshatch on all 3 tubes, thank God. I didn't have time to try to hook up a video source to it though, so while it may not be 100%, this is at least a good sign.

I'll try hooking up the momitsu tonight, what would it mean if only the green lights up then??

Thanks for all replies - Mike in GB
Just out of curiosity, could the problem have been as simple as follows? All the menus and on screen text are green and hence only green tube lights up, but when you hit [#] Marquee projects different type of calibration images and those are projected with all three tubes. So if you didn't have any video material fed to the projector, all you have to project is either the menus or different calibration images...

TNR

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Oh yeah, I'm done now... Is your Marquee working again? Now I'm going to start finishing off the audio end. Anyone have any Axiom QS8's or a VP150 they're looking to get rid of ;)

Quote:
Great that you got it working. Now stop looking for projectors ;) The convergance isn't all that hard. Personally I wouldn't waste the money.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.