AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to CRT projectors and scalers and transcoder.

I have a standard DVD player with component video outputs and a HD cable box with HDMI outputs. Do I need a scaler/transcoder to connect these to the projector or will a Moome HDMI input card with component connections be all that I need?

·
Registered
10,821 Posts
the scaler will give you a better image all around and allow you to centralize everything, all video into it and video out to the Marquee

however you will need both the Marquee and the moome card if you want to use HDMI, if you want to use analog from the scaler you can't use HDMI into the scaler because of HDCP ( without some naughty mods that allow analog output with HDMI in
)

the moome card without scaler will work for you, but if you don't use a scaler you are going to have to do multiple setups for each different device, 480p for DVD, 1080i for cable etc., 480p directly into the moome on that CRT is not going to look very good

the scaler is the way to go
also if you go the scaler route consider a SDI modified DVD player instead of using component from DVD

-Gary

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gary,

My receiver is a Pioneer Elite but it does not have HDMI. My DVD player is a Sony DVP-S7700. It is about 8 years old but a good DVD player. The HD cable box can be used with component as well.

With that being said, should I buy the scaler you listed for both the DVD player and cable box and forget about HDMI for now?

Also, am I correct to say that if I buy a BluRay DVD player I can connect both the BluRay and HD cable box with HDMI via the HD FURY or Moome card or do I have to have a HDMI receiver as well?

Thanks,

David

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gary,

Therein lies the problem. When my DLP projector died I could not justify spending the money to repair it, again! I had already bought bulbs for it. So I did a little research on CRT projectors and went that way because of the longer hours on the bulbs, etc. I am just now realizing that there is more to getting a good picture than just connecting video devices to the E'home 8500 as I did with my previous DLP projector.

I have two children in college and they get priority over most anything else. For that reason, I really can't justify buying a new receiver. Heck the DVD player that I have looked great when I used the DLP projector. I would like to go the most cost effective way possible to get a good picture. That may mean just connecting my current DVD player to the projector and not the cable box. I ma open to any suggestions that you can offer.

Thanks,

David

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
David I'd look into this:

Box 1040 plus HD fury

And if you want to add more HDMI sources later just add this before the HD fury:

3x1 Smart HDMI

Switch

This would be the easiest way to go the box 1040 has alot of features for the money.

An HD fury is for sale cheap here: HD Fury

you can start with that for your HDMI source then add the box 1040 for the component DVD player, then add the switch if you get a Blu Ray player, which is a must with the Marquee !

Athanasios

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can I use the Fury with a switcher to connect via HDMI the HD Cable box and a Blu-Ray DVD player without any box?

THanks,

David

1 - 7 of 7 Posts