AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone identify what might be causing these streaks in a retubed 8500 that I sold recently. The projector apparently works fine for about 10 minutes, then the streaks kick in, then the green tube may go out, then the R and B come on bright with no video image visible.

Let it cool down and it works fine for a bit.

When the customer first emailed me, I was thinking the black streaks were HV arcing, but that usually shows up as thick black bands, not little streaks like this.

I want to send the customer the right board(s) the first time.

Carl, can you embellish on my description?

(see attached pix).

Thanks!

Curt

·
Registered
6,141 Posts
Yikes. STRANGE.

Looks sync related to me, though.

Since the lines are black (not restricted to one tube circuit) I think you can rule out the neck boards or any other circuit that's specific to one tube only.

It's definitely not a problem with convergence or focus or any other tube magnetics or their drive circuits, either. Gotta be in the signal path rather than the geometry/convergence/deflection/focus circuits.

My first guess is the VIM board. Got a spare to swap in?

Does the unit have the multi-standard decoder? If so, what input is he using, and have the other inputs been checked, too?

CJ

·
Registered
18,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's exactly what I thought, and that's what I'm sending him. He's using the RGB inputs only, and I don't think the set has the quad decoder in it.

Thanks!

Curt

·
Premium Member
17,230 Posts
OMG. I looked at that screen shot and thought "what streaks?" is he talking about the smoky smudge at the top of the screen?

I was wondering if his black streaks were similar to my poorly described "dark motion streaks" that I was getting in my M8000 when I watched HD (which went away when I set my PJ as "Primary" instead of "Secondary" on my AIW9600).

But then I looked again... um, oh, duh, those aren't mortar lines in a brick wall in the background!

Do they move or are they static?

Do they persist when the signal source is disconnected?

-Clarence

·
Registered
322 Posts
Curt's description is correct.

The black lines are static, they don't move around. And they are independent of the input source frequency (all through the RGB input). They were there with anything my CS-HD video processor output in 720p (DVD, Directv/Tivo), as well as HD signals from HD Directv receiver in 1080i that bypassed the CS-HD.

I don't remember what happens when I disconnect the source. I'll try that today.

Thanks for your help!

-Carl

·
Registered
525 Posts
Curt,

Did the customer rule out the source and cables?

If the set has the multi decoder, have him pull it and check it again. And does it have the color correction board? You may want to have him take that out too...

Regards,

Nick

·
Registered
6,833 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by SunTECH

If the set has the multi decoder, have him pull it and check it again. And does it have the color correction board? You may want to have him take that out too...

Regards,

Nick
Yep, VIM, Decoder, Color correction Board, and also check the LVPS. It could also cause that problem if the +/-5 or +/- 15 volt rail goes low or get noisy.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I pulled and reseated cards that I could easily access (it's on the ceiling so it's a little cumbersome working on it). I've been running the unit for over an hour this morning, and so far the picture is great, no lines or noise of any kind. I'll keep it on and see if it lasts. Obviously there is something flaky somewhere...

-Carl

·
Registered
525 Posts
Carl,

Sometimes the PJ gets bumped pretty hard during shipping causing a card(s) to come slightly out of alignment which can cause all kinds of wierd intermitant problems. If it stays stable you should be OK. You mentioned that it is ceiling mounted too, the mounting process alone sometimes is enough to knock a card out of whack too. Make sure the focus and deflection boards are well seated too...

Regards,

Nick

·
Registered
18,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the assistance guys!

Carl, as I said I have 100% of parts for the unit, so if the problem comes back I'll send you whatever you need.

Curt

·
Registered
322 Posts
The projector has now been on for 12 hours, and the problem has not reappeared. Yeah!

I'll chalk it up to a loose board for now.

I got my ota antenna hooked up so I could get my local HD channels. A good HD signal (especially Discovery HD via Directv) looks so nice on my 106" screen. I'm hooked. I can't wait until everything is HD.

I appreciate all of the very quick responses and suggestions offered in solving my problem!

-Carl

·
Registered
322 Posts
Thank you! I've been lurking quite a bit reading as much as I can as I dive into the wonderful world of CRT projectors. I'm amazed at how much traffic and good posts I've seen here. Truly a great resource.

I will post a link to my theater page after this message, as the forum won't let me post a URL until after I've made 5 posts.

-Carl

·
Registered
322 Posts
Here are some pictures of the theater I'm building in my house:

http://www.samos.org/Theater/

I'm down to just a handful of remaining tasks, but it is now fully functional. I've done almost all of the work myself, with the help of a friend that is a great carpenter.

It's been a lot of hard work, but now I can finally enjoy the results!

-Carl

·
Registered
7,871 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by csamos
Here are some pictures of the theater I'm building in my house:

http://www.samos.org/Theater/

I'm down to just a handful of remaining tasks, but it is now fully functional. I've done almost all of the work myself, with the help of a friend that is a great carpenter.

It's been a lot of hard work, but now I can finally enjoy the results!

-Carl
Very nice theatre you have there Carl.

Like the choice of colors. How much did those seats cost??

Cliff

·
Registered
322 Posts
Thanks! I picked out the colors myself. My partner was skeptical when I told her what I had in mind, but now she loves it.

With shipping, the 8 chairs cost $5500. They were the single most expensive item in the theater. I had a few issues with the company I bought them from, too. They guaranteed me delivery by December 12, but they were a full week late. They didn't build them with a loveseat in the center of each row like I ordered, so they had to send me two replacement mounting systems to convert the two middle individual seats into loveseats, which was a nice 3 hour job with my friend helping. They threw in the bass shakers for free, but they used screws that were way too long, so they stick up and rub against the springs and the bottom of the seat, which means I have to replace them all with shorter screws. A few of the foot rests were totally out of alignment so they didn't latch well. You'd think for something as expensive as these are, they would quadruple check the work order and build quality.

-Carl

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.