AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got this problem. I just change the two original fan of the LVPS on my 8500 Ultra with papst ones. The first time I did not plug well the cable in the connector so when I power up the projector the fan did not start to turn. In this momet I coud see that the big of the noise was not comming from the LVPS fan but from the 3 fan under the tubs. Is it normal? There is a regulation of fans speed for this 3? What can I do?

Thanks.

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
Lorenzo,

If the 3 fans underneath are good, you really should have no significant noise problem with them. At the very least, they should be removed, checked and cleaned.

Bruce

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Having just replaced all five of the fans in my 9501LC with Papst, I can tell you for sure that the new set is much quieter. The group of three are still the noisiest because they are moving the most air, but you do realize some improvement and you get rid of the bearing noise as well. If you include a rubberized shim or some other way of isolating them physically from the chassis, so much the better.

The big problem is that you have to completely remove the tube assemblies to get to them!

--Bill

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
Hi Bill,

If he has the pj on the floor, he can just remove the fans from the bottom. One of the "small" advantages to floor mounting the pj. Depending on the hours (and dirt) on those fans, when they are working right, they really aren't that bad. Of course if you can get "better" fans, why not, if you have the pj open anyway.

Bruce

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Right, that was my logic. It's quieter now with no case around it than it was before all buttoned up.

I wasn't aware you could pull that 'bottom' plate. On mine at least there some wiring harnesses attached to it in the center and something else on one end.

Even after I added isolators to the new fans I had noticed a small amount of vibration still present on the subchassis they mount to. So I used some rubber strips and screw grommets to isolate it a bit from the chassis. That part is tricky because of the way the subchassis mounts, but it is possible if you're determined enough. :)

--Bill

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
Yeah, after you remove the plate, they have a small pcb that they use to distribute the 24v. There shouldn't be any wiring harness interfering with removing the fans from underneath, you can manipulate the fans out one at a time.

Bruce

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by bblue
Having just replaced all five of the fans in my 9501LC with Papst, I can tell you for sure that the new set is much quieter. The group of three are still the noisiest because they are moving the most air, but you do realize some improvement and you get rid of the bearing noise as well. If you include a rubberized shim or some other way of isolating them physically from the chassis, so much the better.

The big problem is that you have to completely remove the tube assemblies to get to them!

--Bill
Do you use the same papst model for LVPS and for Tube?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by techman707
Hi Bill,

If he has the pj on the floor, he can just remove the fans from the bottom. One of the "small" advantages to floor mounting the pj. Depending on the hours (and dirt) on those fans, when they are working right, they really aren't that bad. Of course if you can get "better" fans, why not, if you have the pj open anyway.

Bruce
My projector is mount but I made an elevator to go up and down so is not a problem to open it from the bottom.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Lorenzo,

That's a nice assembly, and I can see how you would have all around access without having to remove it from the mounting ring. Down and up, lock it in and you're still aligned. I have a motorized Chief unit which does the same thing, but it has an H shaped mounting plate to connect between the cables and projector. You can do just about anything with it without losing alignment -- except gain access to the bottom. Oh well.

No, the three fans are different from the LVPS fans. The two LVPS fans are 92mm x 25mm, but the other three are 112mm x 25mm. Same voltage.

--Bill

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Lorenzo,

That's a nice assembly, and I can see how you would have all around access without having to remove it from the mounting ring. Down and up, lock it in and you're still aligned. I have a motorized Chief unit which does the same thing, but it has an H shaped mounting plate to connect between the cables and projector. You can do just about anything with it without losing alignment -- except gain access to the bottom. Oh well.

No, the three fans are different from the LVPS fans. The two LVPS fans are 92mm x 25mm, but the other three are 112mm x 25mm. Same voltage.

--Bill
I used papst 3414NGL for the 2 fan of the LVPS, what do you use for the other 3 ? The papst 4214NGL?

Thanks

Lorenzo

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I see the 4414FGL/FLG only listed in some brochures. You might want to ask your distributor or Papst directly (since you're in Europe) about its availability.

Basically, a 4414FL will do it also. The FL is ball bearing and the FLG is Sintec sleeve bushing which is a little quieter. The 4414FG is bushing too but has a higher airflow and is too noisy.

--Bill

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
I see the 4414FGL/FLG only listed in some brochures. You might want to ask your distributor or Papst directly (since you're in Europe) about its availability.

Basically, a 4414FL will do it also. The FL is ball bearing and the FLG is Sintec sleeve bushing which is a little quieter. The 4414FG is bushing too but has a higher airflow and is too noisy.

--Bill
Thank you for your help.

Do you know the differences with the 4214NGL model?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Yes, the 4214NGL is a 119x38mm fan vs. the 119x25mm of the 4414. Also, the 4214 has about 5cfm more airflow and 2db more noise.

--Bill

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Lorenzo,

If ordering directly from Papst, the 4414FGL's will be substituted with 4414L/2's. It's the same fan but with ball bearings and speed (tach)feedback. Apparently they don't in-house stock the FGL's and quote a multi-week lead time for them.

If you really can get the FGL's from a distributor stock, grab 'em!

--Bill

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.