AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally we manage to get one of this heavy thing in the house. (It was complete with mounting kit).

After first visual diagnostic the PJ looks brand new to me! Used an bright light to check for burn, but the condition looks great. Inside the PJ there was no dust at all. Opened the front cover, and the fans was completely without dust also, witch can indicate that the PJ run time cannot be many hours...the dusty way ;)

As I just know that this thing are an Marquee 8500, I cannot find any labels with specific model no or date of manufacture. Can anyone help me with more input?

On the top cover, there are printed: Tanorama

PJ are labeled inside:

Model no: 38-P13085-ST

Serial no: 261400002

Best regard's

Rolf

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Sir

Uh, the designation "ST" in the model number indicates that the machine was built with a P43 green phosphor CRT; P43 is typically reddish or pastel, and very fast refresh, which could cause some issues with flicker. P43 is about 20% less efficient than standard green because it has no lag. If the green tube was changed to standard phosphor later then that would be a plus. P43 is usually specified for stereoscopic applications, where green lag is a distraction that causes ghosting. Stereo display is used in scientific applications in which large computer workstations, Silicon Graphics systems for example, are employed to draw alternate left-eye/right-eye renderings of objects or scenes; the viewer wears IR pulse-triggered LCD shutter goggles that admit left-eye scenes to the left eye only, and right-eye scenes to the right eye only. This is done at refresh rates of 96 frames or faster, hence the need for fast green phosphor; standard red and blue phosphors are deemed adequate for stereo and standard applications also.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ups...I was told that they could usa a thing like that as there was option for it in the front. They had never used tis function, and I really hope that the green are the good one in my case :-/

-Rolf-

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Some more info; The 3 machines was used on big SGI workstations for applications as you mention, as the company are Norways biggest oil company and are running such simulations. Is there any way that I can check what sort of green tube the PJ has installed? If it is an P43 (guess so as this deal was almost too good too be true), what can you recommend me to do with this, will it be ok to use it in the HC anyway?

Regard's Rolf

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Many questions from me (newbie) :)

Is there any way that I can check if the green P43 tube are replaced in a standard one? The phosphor lights pure green from the tube...

Checked the status in service menu:

Hours CRT use 4379

Standby 463

Manufactured January 20 1998

SW versions

CLM (U35) v4.1

CLM (U16) I3.1

DBP (U7) D5.4

English v4.1

If I had to replace the green tube, what does this costs?

Does anyone trade used P43 tubes?

Best regard's (and many thanks for advice)

Rolf

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.