Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys

A friend called me today with a problem with his Marquee 8500. He was watching a movie and the green tube flickererd and went out. It then came back on and the occurance repeated a couple more times. My question is what is the most likely cause?

I feel it is probably a loose or oxidized connection in the video chain and I want to clean and reseat all the neccessary points. He is using an S-Video I/P. Do I need to remove the RGB I/P as well and clean the connections on that board? How about the coax wire that runs from the RGB I/P board to the tube? Should I clean both ends?

So it would be appreciated if someone could let me know which connections to clean and which boards to reseat. Also if anyone has any other ideas/possibilitys as to what the problem could be please let me know.

Thanks in advance

Steve

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
I'm sure it's the vieo output card. Swap it with one off another tube and see if the problem goes away or moves with the card.

Curt

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Guys!

I would clean the rear connector on the S-video (decoder) board; the decoder outputs RGB down to the video input module, the board with the RGBHV "01" input, clean it also, and clean the three coax sockets and plugs coming off the top of the VIM, and clean the plugs and sockets going onto each neck board. It could also be the neck board, or the green channel for G2 bias which originates in the high voltage power supply.

·
Registered
6,833 Posts
Try bringing up an internal pattern, and then see if the problem persist. If the problem persist it's either on the VIM (video input module) or the neck board.

Let us know.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Derk

Read my reply again....:)

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all

As usual the forum helps me out again and in this case Tim.

I had a feeling it was a loose connection in the video chain as I stated in my post. Turns out the receptacle for the mini coax on the green tubes neck board was a little worn. It was easily traced because when I jiggled it the image would come and go.

I offered to replace the receptacle but the owner wanted to use the PJ tonight so I put a little solder on the conductor portion of the coax and slightly crimped to ovalize the shell. The connector went on tight and the problem is solved for now.

I know it is only temporary but at least I know for sure what the problem is If it happens again I will replace the recptacle.

Thanks Again.

God I love this forum.

Steve

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.