AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently aquired an 8500 and have been in the process of replacing bad parts. Tonite I replaced the some of the yokes on the green as the one I had installed did not have the astig windings. When I powered up I got both a H-Fail and V-Fail lights. QUESTION- does the HV lead from the ps connect to a particular location on the HV block???? None of the connectors are marked on the block. Is there a particular one of the four it connects to??

·
Registered
6,141 Posts
On my machines, it's connected like this:

With the projector ceiling mounted, standing at the front of the projector, facing toward the back of it, the input lead to the HV block is the one that is on top and to the right. That is, closest to the mounting bracket and closest to the blue tube. My HV blocks have four sockets in a staggered 2x2 configuration.

Hope that helps.

You've got the wrong yokes. Yokes without astig windings are for 8000s. I don't think they're compatible. I'm not 100 percent certain of that, though, so you may want to ask Tim, Mike, Curt, or Nick.

CJ

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Guys!

If the front-most sweep yoke was removed, and you chipped away hot-melt glue to do it, then you may have ruined the sweep yoke. Recheck all of your yoke connections for proper placement; green/yellow is vertical sweep; white/gray/blue/purple are stig and plug onto the stig amp board. If you removed the rear heat sink then check your ribbon cable adapters, they cannot be swapped, the pcb part is labelled "convergence" or "vertical" and must be installed in that position.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tim,

I only removed the astig yoke. The heatsink was not removed and I've checked all the connectors. I have put the 8000 yokes back on and no joy. Its probably the hvps. Can't afford new one so looks like junk heap time.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Say Tony

Nope, a failed hvps does not give H Fail/V Fail indications; this does not add up at all. I wonder if the LVPS has hiccupped......? Try to find someone with an oscilloscope and try to determine if sweep really has failed.

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
Junk heap calling.. I cleared a space for you. :)

No, seriously even a dead hvps won't stop sweep like Tim says.

I will buy it if you want out, or I have parts, but don't be too quick to give up I know you can figure it out.

Troy

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have found the problem. I have a red crt coming to replace the little or none out put red crt I have. Apparently the pj does .NOT like it when a crt is removed. I took the pj out into the garage, stripped it to the frame, cleaned every inch, reassembled. Same problem, H-Fail and V-Fail. As a lark, I put the red crt back in and powered up. NO fail lights, got HV crackle and all three tubes displayed.

Sorry Troy, its been rescued, thanks for your help again.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Say Tony

You had a tube completely removed? Look at the plugs at the end of each yoke; those are power interlocks that shut down sweep if one is missing; no wonder you had sweep fail dude!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.