AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks.
It's been awhile since I'm been here. I've been happy with my Marquee 8500 but had a major problem last night. I turned it on and heard a loud crack and smelled something electrical burning.

What's most likely the issue? And how do I fix it.

Thanks.
Jim in Cincy

·
Banned
242 Posts
Thats a hard one.

Lets hope it was just a HV spark.

Can you post some pictures of the internals of your 8500 ?

Its a good idea to keep CRT projectors clean, specially the HV parts, as they will get covered with some black/ brown conductive stuff.

Here is how a splitter with 3500 hours on it look like before and after cleaning.

Attachments

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I pulled the HVPS loose from the chassis and plugged the 8500 into the electrical outlet. The fan started right away. I pressed the power button on the remote but the unit did not turn on. The red light on the back panel for the LVPS is lit.

Bad LVPS?

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
wow, you haven't been hear in years , good to see your still CRT'ing
I pulled the HVPS loose from the chassis and plugged the 8500 into the electrical outlet. The fan started right away. I pressed the power button on the remote but the unit did not turn on. The red light on the back panel for the LVPS is lit.
Bad LVPS?
most likely. If you removed the HVPS and the fans started slowly on plug in but did not ramp up in speed on "power on" and you have a LVPS warning light lit then the LVPS is likely bad. The pop might have been capacitor exploding.
I can test it here for free if you like,
if you buy a replacement, make sure make absolutely sure you don't get a bad one which will damage the tubes, the ones from 1996 thru middle of 1998, and that's most of them since those years they sold the most machines by far . These are ok once you need ot do the P14 filament mod or have it done.

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
The light on the LVPS can also be from a short somewhere in the projector.
Jim can you clarify, you said the light on the back of the machine. the one on the control module, was on right? .
Not the error lights on the LVPS itself?

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wow, you haven't been hear in years , good to see your still CRT'ing
It's great to see your name, and that you remember me. I still love my CRT. Sorry I haven't posted in a long time. There was a time when this forum seemed to go beyond the newbie and mid-knowledge range and had a bunch of threads that were beyond my technical skills. I am going through a bit of a relearning this weekend, trying to remember what exactly it was that caused my last Marquee 8500 to die. As I recall something happened to burn my green tube and I was going to buy a new green tube from Curt but then he had an offer on a great 8500 with a black case that I couldn't refuse.

Jim can you clarify, you said the light on the back of the machine. the one on the control module, was on right? .
Not the error lights on the LVPS itself?
It is the light on the rear panel.

Attachments

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do you have a spare projector.?

What build year is it, and how many hours is on your 8500?

The light on the LVPS can also be from a short somewhere in the projector.

I have one of my old Marquee 8500's but it has a burnt green tube and I suspect other issues. I can't remember; I'd have to search my emails to and from Curt.

I don't recall what year this 8500 is. Not many hours

BTW, the fans on the LVPS work when plugged in outside the Marquee.

·
Banned
242 Posts
I have one of my old Marquee 8500's but it has a burnt green tube and I suspect other issues. I can't remember; I'd have to search my emails to and from Curt.

If i was you i would look around for a Ultra machine, they are everywhere for free or up to 200-300$ Its over those days where you need to replace caps on old boards, and spend a lot of time changing burned parts.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/16-crt-projectors/1921985-where-buy-cheep-crt-projectors.html

There has just been a surplus blowout of 50pcs of 2010 build Marquee machines, so soon you will get money to pick up a Marquee.

Until then, try look at all your boards, and in your LVPS, see if you can find any blown caps or other parts anywhere, I think the LVPS lamp can turn on if its the LVPS or any other board shorting a voltage from the LVPS.

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
well welcomer back, parts are just as plentiful as ever and like Strids said there's some much newer stuff strating to show up comapred to the late 90's stuff were using. Not much has changed in the design, but it is newer.

if you have your old 8500 then just swap the LVPS over and see if it runs. BTW, running the LVPS outside of the chassis is a pretty substantial electrocution risk. Says so right on the box ;)

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well welcomer back, parts are just as plentiful as ever and like Strids said there's some much newer stuff strating to show up comapred to the late 90's stuff were using. Not much has changed in the design, but it is newer. if you have your old 8500 then just swap the LVPS over and see if it runs. BTW, running the LVPS outside of the chassis is a pretty substantial electrocution risk. Says so right on the box ;)

The LVPS doesn't have any warning.
LVPS:

The HVPS does though. HVPS:

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
if you have your old 8500 then just swap the LVPS over and see if it runs. BTW, running the LVPS outside of the chassis is a pretty substantial electrocution risk. Says so right on the box ;)

I swapped the LVPS and the 8500 turned on, but no picture. And I didn't electrocute myself (so far).

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
I swapped the LVPS and the 8500 turned on, but no picture. And I didn't electrocute myself (so far).
so no high voltage crackle, you gotta have the crackle to get a pic :)

that row of red lights on the front of the LVPS, the ones below the model number, any of those lit?

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
If there's no red error lights and the HV is not coming to life,
then unplug the focus board like strids suggested and see if it powers up. If not, then replace the Horizontal deflection board between the green and blue tubes.

It's starting to sound like you had a discharge from a high voltage lead or splitter. At one point they were using some really badly designed HV boots, which have a very loose fit to the wire. As conductive black soot builds up in there and becomes ionized it start to build acharge and eventually can cause a high voltage arc. That arc almost always goes to one of 2 things, either the HDM or the Focus board, and it's a strong enough of an EM pulse to wipe out some IC's on either board. If you find the problem and get it running, and it's a blown HDM or focus board, then you'll need to clean and re-seal those boots.

Use alcohol, paper towels and Q-tips, wipe everything down as clean as ytou can get it, then fill and cover everything with clear RTV silicone. you can do this on the ceiling with the tubes in place, just drop the splitter down and let hang

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update:
Using the old LVPS, my 8500 turned on (I hear a click) but no crackle and picture. I noticed the HDM board was loose so I pushed it back into its slot, then plugged the projector in and turned it on. I then got the familiar crackle and a few seconds later the tubes turned on and I have a clear image on my screen.

No red lights on either the LVPS or the HVPS. Green light on the rear panel. Not sure if I am OK now.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts