AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am a newbie to CRT projectors and I have a question about scalers/processors,etc.

I have a Marquee 8500(non LC) and I would like to know what connection devices are needed to run a standard DVD and HD cable box. At this time I have no cables other than component video and HDMI cables. Would a Moome HDMI input card be all that I will need or possibly a HD FURY or do I need a scaler and/or transcoder to go with them.

I have searched the forum and also Curt Palme's website but it is hard to understand.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

David

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Your HD cable box will output 1080i or 720P. HDMI out into a Fury or Moome card will be all you need there.

On your DVD player, if it's just a progressive scan (480P) player and is component out you will need something (a transcoder) to convert the signal to RGBHV and into the CRT. If it has HDMI out then you can attach it to the Fury or Moome input.

On DVD you really would like to scale that up to 720P if you can.

Terry

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Terry.

My DVD player is an 8 year old Sony DVP-S7700. Would the Fury companion component to RGB converter RT 1040 or RT2200 be the way to go?

If I buy a BluRay DVD player then the FURY would be the way to go or would I still need a scaler to get it to 720??

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
David I'd look into this:

Box 1040 plus HD fury

And if you want to add more HDMI sources later just add this before the HD fury:

3x1 Smart HDMI

Switch

This would be the easiest way to go the box 1040 has alot of features for the money.

An HD fury is for sale cheap here: HD Fury

you can start with that for your HDMI source then add the box 1040 for the component DVD player, then add the switch if you get a Blu Ray player, which is a must with the Marquee !

Terry is right about scaling DVD up to 720p at least, I scale up to 960p, you might be able to get this scaler, Center Stage CS1 instead on ebay Item # 230270961542,

Athanasios

·
Registered
4,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashou66 /forum/post/14291005

David I'd look into this:
Box 1040 plus HD fury

Athanasios

why would you spend $340. on 2 seperate boxes and then require 2 seperate RGB inouts on the projector when the Moome HDMI internal card will accpet both HDMI and Component and auto-swithc between them for $100. more. Also, true 12bit HDMI on the Moome is quite a bit better than the old 10 bit chip in the fury.the Fury is a good budget solution for the little 7" ES sets but I think the marquee 8500 deserves better IMO

·
Registered
4,355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by draganm /forum/post/14293513

why would you spend $340. on 2 seperate boxes and then require 2 seperate RGB inouts on the projector when the Moome HDMI internal card will accpet both HDMI and Component and auto-swithc between them for $100. more. Also, true 12bit HDMI on the Moome is quite a bit better than the old 10 bit chip in the fury.the Fury is a good budget solution for the little 7" ES sets but I think the marquee 8500 deserves better IMO

Its out of stock. I love my moome.

Athanasios

·
Registered
4,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashou66 /forum/post/14293992

Its out of stock. I love my moome.

Athanasios

yikes, even more bad news.
at least we can count on Moome to make more and sustain the market unlike a certain company in Florida.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by draganm /forum/post/14295541

yikes, even more bad news.
at least we can count on Moome to make more and sustain the market unlike a certain company in Florida.

Dont remind me!!!!!

Athanasios

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I see that there are no Moome input cards available at this time. Is there any difference between the past generations of Moome inputs cards than the current one?

Thanks,

David

·
Registered
4,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gapac /forum/post/14304957

I see that there are no Moome input cards available at this time. Is there any difference between the past generations of Moome inputs cards than the current one?

Thanks,

David

yeah they're different. the old Moome DVI is equivelant to the Fury and they share the same chip. The old card actually did a very good on component video but was only OK for DVI. Those old cards were a great deal for $200. back then but the new card is really awesome.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Draganm,

I have bought a Blu-Ray DVD player and no longer need the component connections. In your opinion, within a meager budget, what would be the best way to connect the Blu-Ray to my Marquee 8500?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
If you dont want to wait for moomes next batch, he does take a long time but it is worth it. I would get this Box 1040 plus HD fury for now, make sure you also get the HD fury, it explains it in the add. this box has gotten many good reviews. you just connect the RGB end of the fury to the RGB in on the Box 1040 and connect the HDMI to the HD fury and you have 1080p capapbilities, and the box 1040 gives you gamma control and shift abilites for those sources that might need it.

so you can get this now and put a preorder for the Moome internal card which i bet will be about 6 to 12 months away and that will have a nicer chip than the current one.

Athanasios

1 - 12 of 12 Posts