AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For my first crt purchase I have got myself down to these two pj and would like to know from those whom have more experience which if the two is superior. At the molment I am leaning towards the Marquee due to its higher res (2048x1536) and its ability to display 1080p. However from what I've read the NEC has a more advanced set up resulting in a better picture. If all goes well i will pair the pj with a lumajen processor.

I will be watching mostly dvd's and Blue Ray when it comes out if that's a factor. I can't afford a 9" crt and would like to get the best bag for my buck so any info would be awsome.

Thx

·
Registered
5,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogen
At the molment I am leaning towards the Marquee due to its higher res (2048x1536) and its ability to display 1080p.
Don't believe the spec sheets. Given the same tube condition and such, both of these will do about the same resolution. Also, neither will do a crisp 1080p. Both however will do a very nice 720p and 1080i.

You can read on the forum, but everyone has their preferences. I'm neutral between these two because my preference is Barco. :) But anyway, here are some pluses and minuses to think about:

- NEC does have more geometry set up, but is harder to set up than the Marquee.

- NEC has better colors than the Marquee (unless adding color filtered lenses to Marquee).

- Marquees very popular and parts readily available.

- NEC very LOUD--hushbox pretty much required. Marquee can be modded to be much quieter.

In the end, you are not likely to see night and day differences between the two. Tube condition and good deal would be more of a deciding factor to me.

Dave

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
agre with Dave on all his points, in the end how well it's set-up would be only real difference between the 2. A good tech. should be able to squueze another 5 to 10% performance from either machine IF he's familiar with it. You shoudl see if someone local is good with either of these, and if they can help out it would be a huge head-start towards the best pic possible.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thaks guys. Hey Person99 or anyone eles could you fill me in on the Barco 808's. how do they stand up to the above pj.

thx

·
Registered
5,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogen
thaks guys. Hey Person99 or anyone eles could you fill me in on the Barco 808's. how do they stand up to the above pj.

thx
Barco 808 is in the same class as those. The Barco 1208 was Barcos top 8" model and had pretty good bandwidth for an 8" machine (120 MHz). I also like the 1208 because it is one of the quietest 8" EM machines around.

Basically, the performance of these are all pretty much the same. To my eyes they all have a slightly different look to their picture even if they use the same tubes. So, if you could see a few in person, you might see which ones you like.

Be warned though, seeing them in person is good to a point, but when you go to two different guys houses, you are dealing with many variables beside just PJ performance, these include:

1) Set up differences

2) Tube condition differences

3) Source differences

So, you should only use comparisons of ones you see at a very high level.

Frankly, if you are not thrilled with any of these, I would be shocked. I was holding a Barco 801s for someone who found it for $102. He has been using an InFocus 4805 480p DLP (these go for over $500). When he did a rough set up on the 801s he was completely thrilled--better picture, no screen door, no DLP artifacts, etc. This is a story that happens all the time. Find a nice 8" EM machine and you will be pretty happy.

Dave

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.