AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's involved with installing 9" tubes in a Marquee 8500?

Will the 8500LC HD10L lenses have good focus on an 87" wide screen? If not, would HD10F lenses work?

Where are the air inlet/exhausts on a Marquee?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Contact Tim at E-Tech Phoenix, 480 368 7434 or [email protected]

he can give you an accurate answer.

·
Registered
827 Posts
I did this already and it would require a complete set of 9 inch tubes

less magnetics. The lenses and magnetics are compatible so you need to get this set and then you can upgrade to the 9 inch league.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I have a 9501LC and a 8500.

On a 8500 (non-LC) you would need to replace the lenses and the complete tube assembly (all of the alu. mounting block too.) I think that you would have problems finding used mounting blocks and to go new would be very expensive. I do remember Tim stating that a voltage is lower on the 8500 (sorry I do not remember which one,) but he said that it would not affect viewing in a HT.

The upgrade path from the 8500LC is replacing the tubes, as spatz stated.

The HD10L are listed for the 8500LC at 40" to 240" screen width ranges and a throw of 161.6" for 87" wide screen (1.82 x W + 3.3".) They are listed for the 9500LC at 47" to 240" screen width ranges and a throw of 137.3" (1.54 x W + 3.3".) I do not have a listing for the F series lenses. I do remember seeing one, but who knows where.

I have not spent much time looking at the venting, but this is what I see:

The main intake is on the center of the bottom of the unit (where the mounting bolts are.) Those fans suck air into the unit, blow it into the tubes and vertical boards, out the top and side of the unit. The LVPS has a fan too, it uses the side and the front to circluate air.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
I've SEEN an 8500LC setup with HD10L lenses. They could not focus properly on a screen size of MUCH less than 240". I really believe the figures published by Electrohome in regards to the HD10L lens are INCORRECT. I think the Barco and Ampro throw distance programs are FAR more representative of the ACTUAL , usable focue range of the HD10L lens. Ampro says no bigger than 60" width for HD10L's and Barco recommends a maximum of 72" wide screen.

The plain HD10 lens has a very wide range of focus, I've seen this and can confirm it will do for almost any size, and the HD10GT17 is also good for most common HT sizes. The HD10GT26 is optomized for larger screen sizes.

I don't know about the HD10F which is standard on Sony 1292's, I imagine one could gather that info from the Sony mount program.

According to the Ampro program Sip5, the magnification range for the HD10L is 9X -11X, whereas the range for the HD10 is 14X-45X.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Guys!

Sorry I'm late! You can do this swap, you need three 9" CRTs, the plastic covers, and the HD-10-series lenses. The 8" neck boards and magnetics work fine; the neck board beam limits might be set a notch lower than 9" neck boards but under normal useage you will not notice that. HD-10Ls with 9" CRTs focus well to 130" widths, bigger than that and you cannot focus the edges well. My personal projector at home is a 9" 8500LC. The base 8500 has the wrong tube mounting plates and lenses and is not a practical starting point for the 9" upfit.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
If 9" CRT focus is ok for 130inches wide.

Is 8"CRT focus ok for 120inches?

Both LC,both Marquee using HD-10L lenses.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.