Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys:

I have been having a lot of fun building my home theater and commissioning my E-home Marquee 8501LC. This is a great hobby and every day is a learning experience.

Long live CRT’S.

Now, I have a small problem that I need some help with. Today I noticed a spot of fluid underneath the projector on the carpet of my home theater. I began to check out my projector. I removed the plastic and sheet metal sides. Upon inspection I discovered what seems to be the source of the fluid. There is a black rubber membrane around the red CRT assembly. It is between the lens and the CRT. The rubber membrane is covered with beads of glycol. The beads are forming little drops of fluid and falling down. Just common sense tells me this is not good.

I am starting this thread but I have no idea what to ask next.

Does anyone know what I have to do to stop these leaks?

Any help would allow me to continue with my CRT journey.

Thanks

·
Registered
18,506 Posts
I would pull the tube out and send it to VDC for repair. Unless you're a tech, this may not be a job for you unforunately.

If you use the projector like this, you'll blow the phosphor for sure without cooling fluid.

Whatever you do, do not let the fluid leak onto the PC boards if you turn the projector right side up.

Curt

·
Registered
262 Posts
the fluid is corrosive, so you want to clean it up from any metal it may have touched as you were removing the covers, ect. clean your tools too.

i have used 99.99 iso alcohol after a soapy bath, but im sure somebody will follow up with more advice.

look closely at the other tubes also, does it look like the rubber is "sweating"?

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Guys!

I wouldn't panic just yet. A little sweating is normal, it is not serious unless you see a waterline inside the LC chamber, that means several ounces have leaked out. The entire LC assembly holds about 15 ounces of liquid. I would wipe up the fluid on the rubber, put the covers back on, and monitor the situation closely for a few weeks. If you need additional advice call VDC at 318 747 0140 I have some nicer used 8500LC tubes here if someone needs one, red and green, just e.mail me.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
htc:

It does look like the rubber is sweating. The projector has a date of May 1998 and the tubes have less than 1100 hours on them. I am going to inspect the blue and green tube this evening for the same condition. I don't thing that more than a few drops are involved.

Should I wipe of the fluid and run the projector? Can I run the projector for a few hours with the covers off?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Hi Stant,

Tim's right, its nothing to panic over just yet. It's quite possible that the tubes were slightly over filled (that glycol expands as it heats up and needs a little "give" room) when the tubes were made and the excess pressure is causing some "sweating" of the rubber bellows. Do as Tim suggested and thoroughly wipe off all excess residue that you can see, and simply monitor the situation periodically. Yes, you can run the PJ without covers for awhile, but its really not necessary as it'll be obvious if this is a problem or not, soon.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks tim and M NEWMAN

I am going to inspect the other tubes. If the problem is about the same or less I will run the projector and watch it closely.

·
Registered
262 Posts
ive seen a few with the sweating, so dont worry, just clean the metal, if any got on it.

and dont worry about running w/ the cover off, lots of people do that all the time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.