AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wondering does a Marquee 9500 have any value still. I have mine sitting in my garage. It developed a glycol leak in the green tube. It was working just fine when I took it down except for the tube issue. I don't think the tube is hurt just need fixing.. I would say the tubes or about a 7 with the green being about a 6. Shows wear . Was trying to sell my house and most visitors did not like the look it produced hanging from my ceiling.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
about 500 bucks as a parts machine.

·
Registered
Certified Audiophile ;-)
2,153 Posts
Interesting !

Just curious....

Was it in your HT?

Were you including it with the house?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary r /forum/post/15413399

Was trying to sell my house and most visitors did not like the look it produced hanging from my ceiling.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I Would have included it if someone wanted to pay for it. Since I did not have a dedicated room this was mounted in the ceiling in the Main Living room. I had a nice setup with 110" Stewart and Custom made Drapes (Which I still have if anyone is interested? ) It was and still is a great projector..

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
there is a 9500LC on the bay now for 3500, and its not in perfect working order either, Dragnm you dog!!!! trying to get a 9 incher cheap !! have to give you credit for trying

now if the tubes are toast then you a little close but still low.

Athanasios

·
Registered
4,810 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashou66 /forum/post/15414830

there is a 9500LC on the bay now for 3500, and its not in perfect working order either, Dragnm you dog!!!! trying to get a 9 incher cheap !! have to give you credit for trying

now if the tubes are toast then you a little close but still low.

Athanasios

I can't blame you for thinking that, this forum has it's fair share of vultures. However I can assure you I was being frank, not secretly firing off an PM' 's. He has a 9500 with burnt tubes and a Glycol leak. That makes it an Organ donor because I can't imagine anyone in their right mind paying a lot for a machine that needs re-tubing + possibly a motherboard, backplane , and both power supplies. Also, if it's a 95 thru early 97 model it's need's other (electronic) things as well. Maybe someone who is locale and can verify the leak is very small could offer a little more?

IMO, $3500. is a price reserved for a fully re-furbished and gauranteed machine with warranty, not a fixer-upper.
the one on flea -bay will sit there for a veery long time at that price.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can assure you this is not a parts machine. it has a very good red and blue . It has some wear on the green as do all . It was handled in a way not to spill glycol on the mainboard. I am not a newbie at this. thanks.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
I was going to say it be worth more parted out, but looks like you dont want to. I could re tube it cheap too, but i am straped for cash. maybe dragnm will take it.

put it up on videgon.

Athanasios

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
well sometimes posting for sale adds on the open forum doesn't always yield the desired results. You can say the tubes are fine but most people aren't interested in 6 or 7's unless the machine is dirt cheap. Also, maybe your not aware but replacement bellows aren't available for purchase from VDC anymore, making leak repair a real gamble. If you rip the bellow your hosed.

Anyway, good luck with your sale.

·
Registered
18,489 Posts
PM or email me Gary, I might grab the unit off you. The problem is, most people aren't willing to do the work to get machines running. With a glycol leak and it sitting on the floor, the glycol might well be all over the motherboard at this point.

The bellows are now discontinued, and the only way that leak will get repaired is to send the tube to VDC, so it's not a DIY thing any more.

·
Registered
18,489 Posts
So I ended up buying this set, and here's Gary's representation of a '6' of a green tube:

Despite emailing me that he had an excellent picture out of the set, and as per a post above, he's not 'new to this', he's now claiming complete ignorance of CRT projectors.

Caveat Emptor should anyone else deal with Gary in the future.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
there's too many Gary's out there, people who are just trying dump something on unsuspecting buyers. I just wish I wouldn't catch so much flak for calling these "for sale adds" for what they are and stating that the item for sale is probably a piece of crap but more often than not I wind up being the bad guy

Sorry to see you got taken advantage of Curt, I only extend full trust to people who hang out here regularly.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Heck I'd at least feed the kid
!!

Is that a screwdriver hes chewing on?

·
Registered
18,489 Posts
It didn't quite work out with him. In the pix, he's putting the HV lead in his mouth, and said 'turn it on now Curty'. So I did.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Boy Curt you shure got alot of people saying poor Curt. He got screwed!! Well the facts are . You agreed upon a price based on a evaluation of someone who does not sell or work on the units for a living but learned all he knows by reading in these forums. I described the unit to the best of my ability . I never opened up the unit and told you that I had not. I can read and I do know what tubes cost to replace. And I do know the red tube will be fine. And I do know based up the picture I was recieving that the blue tube is not hurt. The green was described as having an glycol leak. How much I did not know but from what I saw leaking out of the unit was miminal. Again never open the unit up. I took the unit down stictly on an asethic point of view when trying to sell my home. Was functioning when I took it down. I also provide You with a very expensive Mount and all the hardware for the unit. You can cry about your purchase being junk just because you can't fix it cheap enough to make any money on the unit.. You bought a unit sight unseen with an agreed upon price after speaking to me about the unit several times. Your not dealing with a 21 year old punk kid . I'm just a 50 year old man who knows how to read and when buying or selling anything I ask questions. I gave a description to the best of my ability and your upset because it just doesn't fit to your standards. How do you know it didn't get more leakage from shipping. You had it shipped and packed? I am done with this. Its also funny how you asked for a 500 back on the sale but you have submitted a 600 dispute. So know its worth 400.. Sell it for 500 Curt and get your 500 back . Not from me..

·
Registered
18,489 Posts
My ONLY beef is that you claimed the green tube to be a 6. The ONLY way you can base a tube on a scale of 1 to 10 is to look at the tube face, even if it's through the lens. THAT'S what I based the purchase price of $1000 on. You also said in an email that the picture was 'excellent'.

Now you claim ignorance about all things CRT, and say that you based the tube wear on the image you saw on the screen. I have never said anything about the tube leakage issue or anything else about the set. The only other possible beef I could have is that you had HD10L lenses on the set, yet in a post back when you say you had a 110" screen. Wrong lenses for that screen size, but that's not an issue.

My job here is done, I just let others know about the way you represent used items for sale. We don't need people like you around here. I could just imagine had you sold this set to the fellow in Melbourne. He would have put the same post here as I just did.

Your perceived value of 'sell the blue tube on eBay for $500' and 'an expensive mount' is way off. BTW, the mount didn't show up. Did you send it? All I got was the projector, that's it.

You may be a 50 year old man, but are acting like a 21 year old punk kid.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary r /forum/post/16000913

So know its worth 400.. Sell it for 500 Curt and get your 500 back . Not from me..

A nickle's worth of free advice. If Curt has filed an item signficantly not as described (SNAD) the odds or against you as the seller. Paypal nearly always sides with the buyer on these (we are taking 95%+ of the time). Google SNAD if you like to see what I am saying is true. I am not taking sides here but you will probably do better to come to negotiated agreement with Curt than to let Paypal make the call. The odds are even longer against you since you didn't, I presume, post an ad with a description on Videogon or Ebay that you can reference the as-is nature of the sale (assuming that what it was). The only time I have heard of a SNAD being decided for the seller was when there was an airtight description of the product on Ebay or similar.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Well if this is strictly about the green tube then maybe this isn't so complicated after all. Gary claimed it a 6 and it's like a 1, burned to hell. The ceiling mount is worth about 100 bucks. Why don't you guys just meet each other halfway, and agree on a refund of $250.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.