AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the past month, I have gone from a HT lover to an addict trying to get the best picture I can. I upgraded from a Dwin HDP-500 to a Marquee 9500 Ultra. The 9500 I purchased was in pretty good shape, but the tubes were a little burned and the burn was not centered. After I hung the projector, there was a very good picture on most of the screen and a six inch band of a perfect image down the left side. I did what any normal addict would do and bought another projector with perfect tubes and am in the middle of moving them into the 9500. I have emptied the glycol on the "new" tubes and when the glycol I ordered arrives, I will be ready to install them in the 9500. I took LOTS of pictured, if anybody is interested. The donor projector is a 9000 LC. My question is do I need to move the focus and convergence yokes from the tubes that were originally in the 9500 to the tubes from the 9000 before I install them?

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Hello

There is no difference in the yokes, but I would save the Ultra yokes as spares.

·
Registered
4,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim in Phoenix /forum/post/14222702

Hello

There is no difference in the yokes, but I would save the Ultra yokes as spares.

I'm not so sure, i remember CZeddie posting some pics of the foucs coils from old surplus NOS 9000 tubes and newer Ultra coils and the newer coils were a much longer and more powerful winding delivering a tighter focus. Both had stig on them so it wasn't just that. You can actually see the difference in the little window on top so it's worth checking.

Also, if the older tubes should happen to have the 2-4 pole or even better 2-4-6 pole rings you will want to use those over the more common Marquee 2-pole only.

Oh and I've also seen on some of the really old 8000/9000 sweep coils they used a coarser, heavier gauge wire in the winding, not sure how this affect the pic though?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They both look identical in size as well as the wire used in the windings. The numbers on the Thomson tag are Type 9260.04 on the tubes from the 9500 and 9260.02 on the tubes from the 9000. Ref # is 21.592.01 from the 9500 tubes and 21.695.02 on the 9000 tubes. The magnets both are 2-pole.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Draganm you are right about the post, and you cant tell from the outside if they are different. You need to look through the housing at one of the openings and see the actual coil assembly inside, from the pics he had up i remember one filled the housing more than the older yoke.

Athanasios

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
well it sounds like he's good to go, must have been a set of newer 9000 tubes.

I would look for a set of 2-4-6 pole rings though, nothing quite like having nice and round flare rings with no triangularity.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts