AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The HV power supply on my Marquee 9500 has started to make a squealing noise :( whenever there is a scene with lots of Blue in the picture.Upon further investigation when I turn off the blue gun the squeal goes away.The blue gun when it is on, also has noise in the picture, red and green are fine.I have not pulled out the HV power supply yet but I kind of suspect it is arcing on the G2 maybe?Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks

Andrew

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Sir

That is not a common problem; you could have a failing capacitor in the blue G2 section. I have used HVPS's for $600 plus shipping and your old HVPS in exchange, e.mail me if interested.

·
Registered
264 Posts
check the Highvoltage wire for the blue for damage too.

a sleeve slid over it would not be a bad idea.

also check the big resistors on the HVPS with a ohm meter

the blue is R21 r22 r23 r24 r25 r26

also check the HVspliter where the blue wire go in does the end show any traces of arcing? and is it in all the way.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sly

I will check the Blue G2 circuit components tonight when I get home .I'm glad I have a backup HV power supply.It's only 38kv from a Marquee 9000

but at least I still have a projector while I screw a round with this problem

Thanks

Andrew

·
Registered
6,833 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Atom

.... I have a backup HV power supply.It's only 38kv from a Marquee 9000

but at least I still have a projector while I screw a round with this problem

Thanks

Andrew
Andrew, I'm not sure if that 38Kv power supply will actually fit in a 9500, but by all means, the 9500 should only use a 34.9Kv power supply.

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
Andrew- I had an E'home HVPS the other day that had 1200 volts on the red G2, which should have had about 500-800 volts on it. The red was on full blast, and I could not turn it down.

No squealing though..

BUT..

I found a tiny arc path from the red G2 PC board foil to one of the G2 resistors in the GREEN circuit. Right in the middle of the HVPS PC board that you can get to.

NO idea if your problem is similar, but it could be related...

Pull the HV supply and check for arc marks.

Curt

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just a quick followup to this problem.The power supply squeal was being caused by a in line ferrite core inductor filter on the input to the high voltage from the low voltage supply .The ferrite core had cracked ?and broken and was vibrating with the input frequency .I applied epoxy to the inductor assembly and the noise has gone away:).In the mean time the 38KV HV power supply that I used from the Marquee 9000 worked fine for the month or so that I used it in the 9500.

Andrew

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.