AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

just read in the german CRT forum that Barco is not offering any new Cine 9 and 909 anymore.

that makes the Marquee the last CRT still in production

Michael

·
Registered
321 Posts
So I guess "for ever" is only about 6 years..

BARCO Launches new Cine CRT Projector Range as Part of “CRT For Ever” Campaign

(12 March 2003)

·
Premium Member
16,981 Posts
Is the market large enough to support even a small volume in new sales each year to keep these guys profitable. I would guess not.

As large as the CRT underground is ( thats us ) we are dealing with used machines at bargain pricing. None of us would be in this hobby if all we had to rely on was dealing through the manufacture network. We could not offered to.

Sad though to see another chapter in CRT history close its doors.

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
the Marquee is still around because it's the only technology that can run non-stop in a military flight simulator for tens of thousands of hours and go full-Black for night flying app's. As long as war remains a profitable business the Marquee will remain in production.

·
Registered
11 Posts
they still show a few crt projectors on their website

reality 909, 908 and graphics 908
barco.com/corporate/en/products/category.asp?catid=16

or were you meaning that is going to change?

I think most manufacturers have realized that in the next few years crt performance will be outdone by the new digital pj's.

some of the high end models are coming pretty close already so whats the next generation going to give us.

now if they could make the bulbs last 10k hrs+ with good contrast, no pixelation and a easily repairable/reliable chassis I would be all for it (i doubt all that will happen), but with the current throw away digitals it's not the best option.

I don't own a pj yet but would really love the chance to have a crt before they disappear form the face of the earth.

so hopefully the news is incorrect, as it would really suck if one of the most highly regarded crt pj mfg's stopped making crt's.

anyways thats my 2 cents

Mike

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
I also think VDC still makes in very limited quantities the Ampro 4600 HD for the Navy.

I do think there are a few more companies that make specialty simulators and special medical CRT projectors and Projection Tables. Q4 Services aslo in FLorida still makes a simulator and aslo services and rebuilds CRT's like VDC .

And Another CRT refurbisher and Custom CRT maker to your specs is Thomas Electronics, there is one company that also makes focus coils for CRT's i think they are called syntronics, not sure. So its true the consumer grade CRT is gone like dragnm says there is still specialty Companies that make these.

This Brings me to VDC who with their current business practices has all but Killed the

home theater consumer by not willing to sell certain parts for the Marquee brand.. One of which is the Rubber Bellows for the 9500/8500LC's.

I am currently looking into getting some made by a rubber company but cost are high unless i can get some more people to order or commit to wanting some if I go through with it.

here is a link:

Marquee Bellow Quest for new Manufacturer!!

If your bellows are sweaty or leaking a new replacement bellow should be used. Glycol leaks can reek havoc on the PCB's in the Marquee.

Athanasios

·
Registered
4,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike86xj /forum/post/15544997

now if they could make the bulbs last 10k hrs+ with good contrast, no pixelation and a easily repairable/reliable chassis I would be all for it (i doubt all that will happen), but with the current throw away digitals it's not the best option.anyways thats my 2 cents

Mike

it will never happen. It's impossible to make a 500 watt bulb that will last 10K hours, the glass itself weakens which is why they sometimes explode.

There is also no incentive to make products that are repairable and can run 100K hours because There is no economic model for it. Company's produce stuff to last a few years at best because it keeps the production line rolling. the only reason you see CRT's with 50k hours on them and still running is because they were built to military specs. There's even a big ugly sticker on the Marquee power bay cover which says " This is a commercial product not intended for consumer use"

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
they should make a liquid cooled Bulb like for CRT cooling, i should design and pattent it!!!

Athanasios

·
Registered
11 Posts
nothing is impossible they could make a bulb that lasts 100k hours but then they would almost never sell a replacment.

but yes you are exactly right every body makes throw away products for the exact same reason $$$$$$$.

I heard a rumor a long time ago (if it was true I dont know but I could believe it)

it was about a motor that was developed by some engineers that would last 10x as long as a conventional engine annd meet all emissions, supposedly gm bought the technology but nobody has seen is since.

there's no reason for them to produce it because it would mean the end of their parts sales division.

·
Registered
4,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike86xj /forum/post/15556729

it was about a motor that was developed by some engineers that would last 10x as long as a conventional engine annd meet all emissions, supposedly gm bought the technology but nobody has seen is since.

I know for a fact it's sitting on a shelf right next to the 100 mile per gallon carbuerator.

Athansios I don't think you could liquid cool a bulb, there would be a huge temperature gradient across the glass and the stress would tear it apart. The fact that they even last 2000 hours is amazing really.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
I have a customer that come into my restaurant who was an IA teacher at a local school.

he designed and built a carburetor for small jeep he built using a 45 HP Kohler engine that gets over 80 miles per gallon, he drove it around the White house during the first gasoline crisis in the 70's. he sent the idea to all the manufactures back then and no one wanted it. he still has the patten for it and renewed it, just recently since no one has made anything like it yet. he said with a larger version and some minor changes he could add it to a current car and get better gas milage than the injected systems now, and still pass emissions.

Athanasios

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
we can go with something more recent...the 120 mile a gallon diesel/whatever fuel hummer that was in popular mechanics a few months ago...

This sucker makes more than 4 t 5 times the horsepower and still is good on fuel...try 8/10 times the average!

I think I have only seem one article on this, and that is it...

...when will hey learn?? when?? hehe

Martin

1 - 13 of 13 Posts