AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

In my quest to get the most out of my blend rig, I contacted VDC and got the latest version available for the CLB chip, which is V8 (my ultras were running v4.2 before). Based on disperse information I have gathered, new features (vs. 4.2) are:

- East/west keystoning (would this be suitable for side by side stacking?)

- Independent (of G2) bias tracking for R and B

- Better convergence granularity

- One only needs to enter the service password once per session

Does anybody have more info regarding software versions beyond 4.2?

Thanks.

p.s. Once I receive them, I will post a summary of my findings.

·
Premium Member
13,810 Posts
Can you give us an idea as to the cost?

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
I can't believe they never bothered with E-W keystoning before...

Finer convergence granularity would be a Good Thing IMHO. Too often I see cases where I converge two adjacent spots, but the vertical line between them is still off.

Is this something that can be dropped into any old 8500?

·
Premium Member
13,810 Posts
Great, looking forward to the details. I see a rush on the chips in the future
Can you tell us the part number, etc; that you ordered? There's no chance this will cause a software mismatch with the rest of the system is there?

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Part number is 14-A05064-01, and you have to specify the version (they offered me V8 or V6.1; so I chose V8).

I don't expect a SW mismatch (I told them I was running 4.2, which is indicative of a 2000ish Ultra); anyway time will tell.

·
Premium Member
13,810 Posts
Excellent, thank you. Really curious about the results. If it makes any improvement, I'm snagging one for my 9500 Ultra.

·
Premium Member
1,808 Posts
how does one install the chip?

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Hello

Remove the stigwave board on top of the control board to access U35; you will need a PLCC chip extractor: The new chip is shaved on one corner to match a corner of the socket, make sure it is oriented the right direction. U35 is not the chip in the picture.

·
Registered
7,616 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich /forum/post/0

My Ultra is running the V4.4.

Same here and I've got the East/west keystoning in mine. I think my 4.2's had it also.

But I don't have any of the other things mentioned above. The extra granularity sounds pretty nice!

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just got them. Quick impressions so far:

The good:

- "Service code password remember" feature works as expect. Really nice not having to enter the PW every now and then.

- Sub-bias is equivalent to G2 but can be set on a per-source basis. Normally you would overcome this by adjusting different color temperatures if needed. You first adjust G2 and then tinker sub-bias on a requirement basis.

The not so good:

- ACON is no longer supported. Although not intended for final purism, I found the ACON unit to be convenient when doing a quick test of the setup if I move the projector. There is a new thing called "ACON Ultra" which is completely different and very expensive (as in more than $10K) more intended to align multi-projector setups.

The unknowns:

- Contrast levels have changed. I need to get my light meter (arrives on MON), but contrast 50 is way brighter than it used to be... AND BLOOMS TOO
VDC told me that this V8 is set up to work with an enhanced VIM that doesn't have peaking caps close to the RCA connector. Probably MPv2 mods will also get there (I am testing this on the PJ that does NOT have the MPv2 mods). It could also be a flare issue (would I need to re-adjust flare due to the CLM change?).

- I have not played with convergence yet. I will once I find out what the flare/contrast issue is about.

- There are new options: new geometry options, new "delay" options, etc.

I will take a few shots of the menus to illustrate the changes.

·
Registered
7,616 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by antorsae /forum/post/0

- Sub-bias is equivalent to G2 but can be set on a per-source basis.

Maybe it's just my non-pro knowhow coming to the surface... but that is an awesome feature for someone without a video processor! I assume it's adjustable for each recall then? Nice!!

Thanks for the 411 also!

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I had some time to play around yesterday, more impressions:

- I have not perceived any more "convergence granularity". Convergence adjustments felt exactly as before.

- The contrast/blooming issue was my fault... I had the red flare way off. I adjusted flare and voilÃ*... blooming gone.

- The "service password remember" is a keeper; it even works if you POWER down the projector (I have not tried if it works unplugging it from the mains).

Maybe it is just my imagination, but even after a relatively short adjustment (1 hour) I managed to get a super SHARP picture. Again, maybe my imagination or that I am just getting better at adjustments, but I turned on the other PJ and it was not as sharp and punchy as this one... so I'll be installing the other V8 chip there too, do 6500K on both and then judge again.

CZ, yes - the sub-bias gain independent of the source looks good. I don't know if the Marquee allows you to recall two different memories with the same scan/refresh settings; but if it is the case I will do it, not only for sources (XBOX, PS3, PC, etc.) but even to adjust the black level on different PC players and source material (I've found that HD-DVDs are encoded -or played- differently than 1080i TS, etc.)

·
Premium Member
13,810 Posts
Sweet! What number did you call to order? Want to get me one

·
Premium Member
1,808 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZ Eddie /forum/post/0

Does it allow you to name each recall? That was a nice feature that I know the NEC at least had.

Eddie, can't you already do this with the Marquee? Just set it up as a channel and you can name it.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.