AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This sub is the lighting deal of the day at amazon, going for half it's MSRP, I currently have a BIC H100, is the ML worth snagging at that price? I have read very positive reviews on the unit. Another model I have been looking at is the entry level Elemental Design sub, the A2-300, which is going for the same price as the Lighting deal special on the ML.


Only 2 hours left! Help greatly apreciated!


PS: Use would be mainly HT on a small room.
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
3,458 Posts
I'd like to have some input on this as well. I'm using 2 pretty dated Velodyne F1200 subs for stereo subs in my HT.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Bought two of them. Only let you by one per account... but got one with my Prime account and one on my girlfriend's Prime. Free two day shipping too!!!


Heading over to BB Magnolia to listen now. I doubt I'll cancel...
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
3,458 Posts
Bought 2 using two different Amazon accounts. Not sure about these being any better than my old Velodyne F1200's however. Any opinions? I guess I can always sell them for what I paid if they don't work out.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had to pass, I did go over to BB to give it a listen though, to my luck their audio demo room was down so I couldnt try it out, still, let me know what you guys think after you give them a try, thanks.
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
3,458 Posts
Anybody running two of these? Will I get enough punch and low frequency performance compared to my old Velodyne F1200's to warrant the change?
 

· Registered
Joined
·
242 Posts
The Dynamo is a very good sub for small to medium sized rooms. It will play cleanly down to 25 Hz or lower given room gain. It is not an SPL monster but it is exceptionally good for music. I have had one for about 4 years now and it will remain with me. It is still one of the better subs I have had the pleasure of hearing solely for musical accuracy and I have had the pleasure of hearing quite a few. It is only 200 watts, not 200 watts nominal with a higher peak wattage, it is just 200 watts. It is actually a little surprising for HT use actually, it can hit with more impact than you would expect for it's size and specs.


A really nice feature of this sub is it's allowance for it to be front or down-firing which helps with placement. Do not be afraid of purchasing this sub, especially if you can get it for a bargain.


Enjoy.
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
3,458 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wafflebird /forum/post/16853174


The Dynamo is a very good sub for small to medium sized rooms. It will play cleanly down to 25 Hz or lower given room gain. It is not an SPL monster but it is exceptionally good for music. I have had one for about 4 years now and it will remain with me. It is still one of the better subs I have had the pleasure of hearing solely for musical accuracy and I have had the pleasure of hearing quite a few. It is only 200 watts, not 200 watts nominal with a higher peak wattage, it is just 200 watts. It is actually a little surprising for HT use actually, it can hit with more impact than you would expect for it's size and specs.


A really nice feature of this sub is it's allowance for it to be front or down-firing which helps with placement. Do not be afraid of purchasing this sub, especially if you can get it for a bargain.


Enjoy.

Thanks for your input. Sounds like 2 of these might work just fine in my HT system. The room is 12x19x10 and is completely sealed from other rooms when the door is closed. I really don't think I could do much better unless I spent quite a bit more considering this deal was 1/2 the retail price.
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
3,458 Posts
1 Of mine shipped today. (Prime account) The other was ordered on a second account and I took the free economy shipping, so who knows how long that will take. When they both arrive I'll try them out and if they excede the performance of my old Velodyne F1200's, those will go up for sale. If not, I can most likely break even selling the Dynamos.
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
3,458 Posts
Anybody receive and set up yet? I received the #1 that was "Prime" shipped, however #2 was the free "Super Saver" shipping so it shipped off late (Thursday) and won't arrive until next Tuesday. My HT in the middle of a complete redo that's taking way too long. (Not enough spare time and I tend to drag things out in an attempt to make everything as perfect as possible)
 

· Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
I received mine and I should say that I am impressed. The Dynamo has half the volume of my old sub a JBL PB-10 and twice the power. It's very fast and a pleasure to listen with music. I cranked it a little bit and it rattled my windows so it must do well with movies although I haven't tested it. This was quite a bargain.
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
3,458 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by licnyc /forum/post/16905403


I received mine and I should say that I am impressed. The Dynamo has half the volume of my old sub a JBL PB-10 and twice the power. It's very fast and a pleasure to listen with music. I cranked it a little bit and it rattled my windows so it must do well with movies although I haven't tested it. This was quite a bargain.

That's good to hear.
I just received my second one today. My HT is going through a slow redo, so it may be a while before I test the 2 I bought. I'm replacing a couple old school F1200 Velodynes' that were great back in the day, however I'm sure after 15 years they are just not up to today's technology.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
259 Posts
The Dynamo is on sale at Amazon again today. Does anyone have new or updated reviews or impressions? Anyone know how this thing compares to a HSU STF-2?
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
4,318 Posts
The ML is a heck of a sub for its size, and has great versatility. It is extremely musical and blends easily with just about any speaker. In a smaller room, it does a decent job with HT. What it lacks is the tactility, and visceral impact with HT content. It starts to roll off at around 30-32hz.


For what these are going for now, it is a no brainer.


I wonder what its replacement, the Dynamo 500 which will be a ported design, will bring to the table. It also has an MSRP of $500 as opposed to its predecessor at $650.
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
3,458 Posts
Still have a ways to go before I can test my 2 out. This is a great bargain at 1/2 price. Looks like they are moving these out to make room for the 500's. My HT is a separate sealed room that's 2200 CF. If 2 of these are not enough I'll use them for another room and get 2 of the ML Abyss subs when they reduce the price on those.
I'm not into loud boomy bass. I'm pretty old school when it comes to bass and much prefer tight and accurate over the loud, low, and boomy output that a lot of these huge newer subs exhibit.
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
3,458 Posts
Looks like Amazon ran out. Yesterday it showed "ships in 2-3 weeks" Today it shows "Temporarily out of stock" with no projected date. Considering these are discontinued, it may me all over for buying these new. If you're on the fence and Amazon does get some more in-You better jump on it.
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
3,458 Posts
Anybody know anything about the new Dynamo 700? It's on Best Buy's site, however there's nothing on the ML website about it.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
741 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenC56 /forum/post/16991707


Anybody know anything about the new Dynamo 700? It's on Best Buy's site, however there's nothing on the ML website about it.

I saw this also...but for less money you can get the Abyss. I got my Magnolia's display for under 600 - it is a wonderful sub.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
284 Posts
Yea, details are slim on the new Dynamo 500s, and there is a 700 and 1000 in our inventory system. If the new subs are going ported, I don't know if they will retain that tight bass I like but on a good note there is a chance we will carry the REL T series subs, around same price point. I'm hoping these can deliver that tight clean bass too, cuz I have always heard good things about them.
 
1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top