AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone out there with Martin Logans in their theater have recommendations for rear center(s) to go with an Aeon/Cinema/Script 5.1 setup? I know most people would say stick with ML if you've already got them, but due to space limitations I cannot easily fit another pair of ML's (even Scripts) along the back wall. I was specifically trying to go for in-ceiling di/bipoles. Any suggestions at all would be appreciated.

tyanger

·
Registered
568 Posts
Others will probably call me deaf...

I have a similar system: Odyssey / Cinema / Scenario / Descent. The Scenarios were the last to arrive, and their predecessors were Triad Silver Surrounds, which are in-wall/in-ceiling models. I was quite surprised to discover that the Triads seem to work at least as well as HT surrounds as the Scenarios. This may be due to their design (I forget whether they're bipoles or dipoles, but they're the type that has a null that you orient toward the listener), or it could just be that I am not so picky about my HT surround as I am about other things.

I thought for a few days whether or not I'd just sell the Scenarios, but I got a great price on them, and it's not as if they were poor sounding - they just didn't improve much if any over the Triads. Then I tried some 5-ch music and discovered that I do care, and that it does matter--but only for 5-ch music. I pretty well don't care which of them I use for HT, so I have the Scenarios installed at the moment. I suppose one day I'll get a 7-ch (or more, as it might be by then) rig, and then I'll probably use the Triads for the extra two channels.

So I'd say have a try at some other speakers that fit your criteria (I think the Triads do, but that's a coincidence). You may be surprised. You may be horrified, too, if your tastes don't match mine! :)

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Have you seen the thread
Pocket Martin Logans?

It describes the Mirage Omnipolar wall (or stand) mount speakers. These intrigued me for use as side, rear center (and ceiling) speakers to complement the current Monolith III, Sequel II, Logos HT setup.

As the bigest challenge for a ML setup as sides would be how to get the right dispersion to cover two rows of seats. I'd come to the conclusion I'd need to use another pair of Logos as sides.

For pure 5 ch music (DVD-A and Trifield from the Meridian Proc), I still beleive one needs an adequate size ML speaker. However, for movies in 7.1 (or 8.1 for EZ), I feel these Mirage Omni's should work OK. I'm about to try them this holiday.

Specifically, as a rear center, mounted on the rear wall, it should throw a nice, wide soundield between the Scenario's you have.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.