Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

I was out demoing toys today:)

had a chance to listen to martin logan's new Aeon's with mcintosh mx132/mc206 setup

Awesome to my ears!

Anyone else have comments on this combo?

Im thinking of maybe getting ascents instead of the aeon's.. im not too familiar with Martin Logan models

my dedicated home theatre is 27ft by 25ft

I want to get the

Aeon/Ascent fronts

Scripts for surround

Theatre Center

2 Velodyne HGS12's or 15's

Mcintosh Mx134 thats coming soon

Mcintosh MC206 amp

good choice?

I also listened to proceed AVP/B&W 803's

my wife said the b&w sounded "heavy".

suggestions/comments welcomed!

thank you

Erick

·
Registered
363 Posts
EricK,

In a room your size I would go towards the Ascents. If you intend to use the entire room for your HT you would be better off with the Larger Panel.

WRT the Mac electronics, I have not been exposed to them. My concern would be whether or not the Amp is stable to extreme loads. ( I would imagine that the Mac would be fine!).

What price did you see the HGS 12/15's for you might want to listen to the Descent. ( Martin logans new sub) I think the pricing on the Descent is around $2500. If you where to buy your proposed set up from one dealer I would imagine that you should be able to see a healthy discount.

Where I wouldn't classify the B&W's as "heavy" I do understand what your wife was hearing...

Good luck I love my Martin Logans and would have a difficult time switching back. They will reward you with hours of enjoyment when broken in and set up properly!

Miles

·
Registered
386 Posts
It has been my experience with Martin Logans (CLS and Aerius I) that there is a very audible difference between amps that can "Double Down" and those that cannot. Doubling down being as the Impedance halves, the power doubles.

I would seriously consider running the main left and right speakers off of a dedicated amp that has the drive to really open up the logans. I recommend Classe. A good Classe can be had for far less than a Krell or equivalent and to my ear, sounds much less fatiguing. Best of luck. Sounds like you are putting together a killer system.

Orbillius.

·
Registered
134 Posts
The Logan's are quite hard for an amplifier to drive. The impedance drops to around 3 ohms in the bass region and all the way down to 1.2 ohms at 20kHz.

Many amplifiers don't like that low impedance and since Mcintosh rate their bigger amps down to 2 ohm and this one only to 4 ohm where it doesn't double it's power output as it should suggests that this amp might have problems with heavy loads.

I would certainly do a comparision with a high current amp before making the final purchase, would be a shame not to get the best out the Logans.

I really envy your coming setup, and can hardly wait until January where I have saved enough to get me a pair of Ascents :)

·
Registered
602 Posts
I agree on the Classe amps with the Martin Logan's. I used to have this combination and the Classe is a great amp for them.

You really need an amp that can handle the low ohm's of the Martin Logan.

Earl

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think i forgot to mention that i will also have 2 velodyne hgs15's to handle the low end.

Thats why i think the mcintosh amp will be more then plenty..

I should of mentioned the velodyne in my first post, sorry

thanks

Erick

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would like to stick with the same brand for pre/pro amp setup

I heard the mcintosh/martin logan and didnt notice

anything lacking..

Im not one who likes to go deaf:)

thanks

Erick

·
Registered
279 Posts
I currently have the MX132 w/the old MC7205 200 wpc and ML SL3's up front, Cinema Center and Aerius rears......The only thing I don't like is that as usual, everything I own is or is about to be "old".........It's a fantastic setup for HT, I do find it a little lacking in the CD music arena though.......but not lacking enough to say I would do anything different.

Have not heard anything about the MX134. What upgrades will it have?

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Erik, sounds like you want the Mc Intosh set up? It will work just fine! When I first started with home theater, I was using a Denon 2700 Receiver to run FIVE!, Martin Logans, Sequels up front, Logos for center, and scripts for the rears! Never tripped the amp section once! They drop impedance at the upper frequencies, and the newer panels are a lot better than the older ones. Did not get real high SPL's but it worked. As mentioned before the more current you can supply the better. Also as stated before, go with the larger panel, I'm now using the Odysseys for the fronts! it will pressurize your room better. Good luck;-)

Vern

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.