AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have 4's as the fronts, 6 center 2's in the back. I want to gradually upgrade and will probably stay with ML as I like the sound and for ease. Im wanting to replace the center (6) as I think it is muddy at lower levels when watching movies and TV. I listen to music generally in stereo therefore the music angle is not as import for the center. Just want opinions on the motion 8.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I owned a Motion 8 for about 2 years (I've since sold it and upgraded to the Motif X). I had it paired with Motion 40 Towers (also since sold and replaced with Theos). My honest opinion is that the "compact" motion speakers aren't worth the price you pay for them--any of them. At that point, you are paying for the Martin Logan name more than you are paying for the quality. For the same or less money, there are better options from SVS, Emp, Pioneer, and a whole host of others.

Having listened to both the Motion 6 and Motion 8, I can tell you that the 8 will not be anything more than the most minor of upgrade from the Motion 6--almost certainly not worth the money! I found the Motion 8 a barely competent center channel--same as the Motion 6.

If you want to stick with Martin Logan Motion series, you should really consider upgrading your L+R to the Motion 15 and the C to the Motion 30. It's a good bit of a budget jump; but, the quality improvement would be absolutely worth it. If your budget doesn't support that, my best advice would be to switch brands. Compact speakers are not where the ML brand shines.

Reactions: dsrussell

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I've thought about jumping up to the 15's and it does seem like the best solution as well as adding the 30 as the center. Love love Theos, but really don't have the room and to be honest if I could find great sound out of even smaller speakers than the 4's I'd go that way.

Thanks again for the advice!

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
...to be honest if I could find great sound out of even smaller speakers than the 4's I'd go that way.
Check out the SVS Prime Satellites. I don't think they are quite a small as the Motion 4; but, I think they'll be a huge sound upgrade for a more comparable price than stepping up in the ML Motion line would be. SVS offers a 45-day in-home trial on their products so you wouldn't have anything to lose. :)

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
...I've thought about jumping up to the 15's and it does seem like the best solution as well as adding the 30 as the center....
Crutchfield has the MartinLogan LX16s at a seriously discounted price. The LX16s are the predecessor to the 15s and have the exact same drivers. Crutchfield is an authorized dealer for ML

Reactions: murphy_5

·
Registered
20,977 Posts
I owned a Motion 8 for about 2 years (I've since sold it and upgraded to the Motif X). I had it paired with Motion 40 Towers (also since sold and replaced with Theos). My honest opinion is that the "compact" motion speakers aren't worth the price you pay for them--any of them. At that point, you are paying for the Martin Logan name more than you are paying for the quality. For the same or less money, there are better options from SVS, Emp, Pioneer, and a whole host of others.

Having listened to both the Motion 6 and Motion 8, I can tell you that the 8 will not be anything more than the most minor of upgrade from the Motion 6--almost certainly not worth the money! I found the Motion 8 a barely competent center channel--same as the Motion 6.

If you want to stick with Martin Logan Motion series, you should really consider upgrading your L+R to the Motion 15 and the C to the Motion 30. It's a good bit of a budget jump; but, the quality improvement would be absolutely worth it. If your budget doesn't support that, my best advice would be to switch brands. Compact speakers are not where the ML brand shines.

The Motion 30 would be a good choice. I had a Motion 8 for a center channel with my Motion 40's. I replaced it with a Motion SLM XL, which works great as a center channel speaker. In fact, it's turned out to be perfect in my theater, since I had to be able to wall mount whatever center I used. That limited my choice. I needed a center that worked well off axis. The SLM XL is louder, clearer, and has excellent off axis sound.

·
Registered
Living Room: Sony 65” 950G, Marantz SR5014, Martin Logan Motion LX16 x5, Motion 2 x2, SVS PC2000
310 Posts
I agree, if looking into the Motion series the LX16 is the better value compared to the 15's. The only difference is the slanted top on the 15's. I did confirm this through ML. Wonderful speakers for the money. I also use a LX16 as my center channel and it works well!

·
Registered
20,977 Posts
Do you think 4 of these mounted on the ceiling would be a good idea for an ATMOS setup? (the SLM not the SLM XL)

That is something I have not thought of - that is an interesting idea! You might ask Martin Logan directly. In my theater, I'd only need two. When I get an Atmos receiver ( I have a Denon 4520 now and use DTS NEO:X ) I will explore this idea more.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Do you think 4 of these mounted on the ceiling would be a good idea for an ATMOS setup? (the SLM not the SLM XL)
I am thinking the exact same thing. I want to round out my ML theater and they seem the ideal compromise without cutting holes in my ceiling. Did you try it?

·
Registered
20,977 Posts
I am thinking the exact same thing. I want to round out my ML theater and they seem the ideal compromise without cutting holes in my ceiling. Did you try it?
I haven't tried it, as I'm still using my Denon 4520 and am not ready to upgrade. I'm waiting for 13 channel DTS:X - then I just might try two SLM or SLM XL speakers on the ceiling - why not? I doubt cutting a hole for a speaker will make it sound better as opposed to surface mounting these. Plus, you can move them if you feel tweaking the speaker location might improve the sound. I'm holding out for 11 channel surround plus 2 or 4 ceiling speakers in the future. ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.