Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I'll be picking up a pair of Ascents this Friday. Ultimately, I will have an all ML 7.1 system, but I'm just replacing the front three and sub for now.

Question about the center speaker: Has anyone had tried both the Cinema and the Theater in their systems, and if so, why did you choose one over the other?

I really would like to hear from anyone who has tried, but especially owners of the above-named speakers because I figure that Prodigy (and Statement!) owners are going with the Theater without hesitation, and owners of the smaller models most likely will be satisfied with the Cinema or Fresco.

My room is 12x20, with only a pocket door entrance on one wall. It is in the basement and is well-insulated. I plan on adding a 300-500 watt per channel amp to my Pio Elite 49TXi soon after I get the Ascents.

Anthony

NOTE: I've cross-posted this on the ML Owners site as well.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frombhto323
I'll be picking up a pair of Ascents this Friday. Ultimately, I will have an all ML 7.1 system, but I'm just replacing the front three and sub for now.

Question about the center speaker: Has anyone had tried both the Cinema and the Theater in their systems, and if so, why did you choose one over the other?

I really would like to hear from anyone who has tried, but especially owners of the above-named speakers because I figure that Prodigy (and Statement!) owners are going with the Theater without hesitation, and owners of the smaller models most likely will be satisfied with the Cinema or Fresco.
Although I haven't tried both the Cinema and Theater, I have a Cinema which works just fine

with the ML Aerius i. The Aerius is from a previous generation of MLs and roughly corresponds

to the ML Aeon. [ Your Ascent corresponds to the previous generation's SL-3 ]

My only recommendation is to auditon both and judge for yourself if the Theater is worth the

extra $$ to you. You can't go wrong either way you choose.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.

I do plan to audition both, but in case I don't get cooperation from my local dealers, I might just be able to choose one for an extended home audition.

I called one of my local dealers yesterday and explained that I wanted to do a home audition. His reply was, "Well, that's why we take great care in setting up an ideal listening environment here at the store for our customers." He is not alone in my experience.

I have never bought a pair of speakers from anyone outside of retail, and then only from dealers who will allow me a home audition. This is my first foray into what's considered the "high end," and so far my dealings have been mixed.

That aside, I'm curious about what ML owners think of the Theater and Cinema in comparison to each other.

Anthony

·
Registered
129 Posts
Anthony, I have the theater with my SL3's and find the timber matching to be very close. With the center being perhaps the most important channel in a surround system, I wouldn't skimp. People that have compared both invariably say the Theater is a much better speaker. The outward curve of the electrostatic panel is more conducive to a wider sweet spot than the inward curve of the Cinema. I would check out Ebay and Audiogon for used bargains. The price of high end admission needent be very high. I bought all 7 of my Logans and couldn't be happier. 300 to 500 watts is probably overkill in your room. A solid 100 to 200 watter will drive those fine. Good luck

Bill

Bill

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies fellas. A follow-up question: Anyone out there compare the " i " series speakers to the their predecessors and found noticable differences. I've checked classifieds and sometimes the original (non " i ") models are up for sale, but besides the power cord difference, I wonder if there is a sound difference.

Anthony

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.