AVS Forum banner

1621 - 1640 of 2513 Posts

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
I was able to give a pair of Neolith a good test. I don't even know how to describe them. Perhaps better than life itself?:)

Now I need to shred my credit card or lock it away.

·
Registered
8,986 Posts
I was able to give a pair of Neolith a good test. I don't even know how to describe them. Perhaps better than life itself?:)

Now I need to shred my credit card or lock it away.

You only live once !!! (so make it short) Just think of the reward points you'd get for saying "charge it"

I could actually listen to those and be safe. I know I'm not going to do it. If I'm going to do $80 - 100K in something, it would a turntable.

15As are a danger though. I could pull that off so not sure I want to hear those again. I'd rather just get the 11As or 13S and just be done with it.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Anyone buy used ESLs? There's a guy near me selling on craigslist and he said there is still 3yrs warranty left on it but there's no way for me to check that is there? He told me "They were purchased directly through a Martin Logan accommodation program as a benefit from working at one of their distributors. However knowing them so closely I know they track distribution by SN for support purposes." Anyone know anything about this?

·
Registered
428 Posts
Anyone buy used ESLs? There's a guy near me selling on craigslist and he said there is still 3yrs warranty left on it but there's no way for me to check that is there? He told me "They were purchased directly through a Martin Logan accommodation program as a benefit from working at one of their distributors. However knowing them so closely I know they track distribution by SN for support purposes." Anyone know anything about this?
The warranty is not transferable and to get more than 1 year, the original owner has to register with ML to get the 5 year. The seller would have to work with you for any warranty repairs.

That being said, if they are full functional now, the chances of needing service in 3 years are pretty slim unless they were abused.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Abused?!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
511 Posts
Cool. However, I want to go 11As or 13As. After hearing the 15As at Axpona, this is in the direction I want to go.
I get that and trust me you're not making the wrong choice by any means! I got a ton of play time with the new Renaissance after running ARC and their new line is bonkers to say the least.

·
Registered
8,986 Posts
I get that and trust me you're not making the wrong choice by any means! I got a ton of play time with the new Renaissance after running ARC and their new line is bonkers to say the least.

I don't want anything larger than these in that as the width of the panel will block some of the soundstage. As it is now with the EM ESL the soundstage stands completely apart from the speakers and presents an epiphany to the neophyte HT geezer fanboys in the neighborhood who have never heard a conventional two channel system do what these speakers will do.

With the huge full range Soundlab M1s the speakers needs a really huge room, which I never had or the speakers physically block part of the soundstage and you lose some of the illusion of reality. They have other attributes (big time) of course, but I've never been able to get them the hell out of the way.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Proud owner of a pair of EM ESL also came with a C2 center. Got a great deal on this used setup. It doesn't look like you can adjust the tilt on this model, anyone know?

Attachments

·
Registered
8,986 Posts
Proud owner of a pair of EM ESL also came with a C2 center. Got a great deal on this used setup. It doesn't look like you can adjust the tilt on this model, anyone know?

Sure you can.

YMMV, but I found my best results with an 83 degree rake. I'm a near field listener so if you sit back further, you may need more rake to get the height cues where they are supposed to be. And both sides must be identical or you'll get smearing of transients.

I picked up a digital angle meter from menards to help me get it exact.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Sure you can.

MMV, but I found my best results with an 83 degree rake. I'm a near field listener so if you sit back further, you may need more rake to get the height cues where they are supposed to be. And both sides must be identical or you'll get smearing of transients.

I picked up a digital angle meter from menards to help me get it exact.
The feet don't seem adjustable to me, or did you just put a dvd under there like LowTech?

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Most people don't have then set up like you. Depends how far back he sits, but I'm guessing about 8-10ft

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,986 Posts
The feet don't seem adjustable to me, or did you just put a dvd under there like LowTech?

I meant a little less rake (brain flatulence to blame). The feet are adjustable. You can start vertical (90 degrees) and then rake until you get voices, trumpets, cymbals etc., up where they're supposed to be and then cello, violin, guitar down where they're supposed to be. Important thing is that they both are exactly the same.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I put a dvd under the speakers and the sound seems better without the dvd. I lose all the details in the highs when i put the dvd under the front of the speakers. I'm about 9ft away from them.

1621 - 1640 of 2513 Posts