AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello experts, I am a noob when it comes to hifi audio and will appreciate your help in answering some of my questions.

I am considering buying the martin logan sources ~$700/each + pioneer vsx 1120 to drive them. My questions are

1) Can the pioneer drive these speakers? I have read comments on this forum that you would need to buy Emotiva XPA3 or similar in addition to the pioneer amp

2) What would be a good center channel that will match the sources?

3) Will buying any 10-12" sub fill the room? or would I need to buy a martin logan sub to match the speakers? My local magnolia rep told me that subs arent that important for matching and I can buy any sub that fits my budget

Thanks in advance for your help. Happy holidays

·
Registered
76 Posts
Electrostats are power hungry speakers. It just depends on if you plan on running a full 5.1 system off the 1120 or not.. It does have pre-amps out which is nice. So you could add an external amp to power the elecrtostats later. You wouldnt need the XPA-3 you could get the UPA-2 or UPA-5 and be awesome. You could also consider the vsx-32 (the elite model).

For a center I would go with the either the Martin Logan Matinee or the Motion C. The Matinee is the best match but also costs $1400-1500.

I wouldn't just buy "any sub". A great Logan sub to match would be a Dynamo 700. If you wanted to go outside Logan I'd get something online like a HSU sub. I'm not a huge fan of the def tech subs. Unless you like just a lot of rumble.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedrgy /forum/post/19582251

For a center I would go with the either the Martin Logan Matinee or the Motion C. The Matinee is the best match but also costs $1400-1500.

I wouldn't just buy "any sub". A great Logan sub to match would be a Dynamo 700. If you wanted to go outside Logan I'd get something online like a HSU sub. I'm not a huge fan of the def tech subs. Unless you like just a lot of rumble.

I agree with the above suggestions and would likely pick the Motion C rather than the Matinee. If I could afford the Matinee I might think about moving higher up the ML line. I've heard the Source speakers with a mid level receiver and they sounded great - they are a little small for elecro-stats so I did notice a bit of a standing/sitting/moving around issue but I could certainly live with it.

Kudo's to the Magnolia rep for giving you sound advice, ML does make great subs but Rythmik would be another good choice.

Ron

·
Registered
156 Posts
i honestly don't think the 1120 would be a good choice..the ML's as any electrostatic speaker have variable impedance..you need a amp-reciever that can go from 2 to 16 ohms and not burn out on you...it's a great speaker choice but way lowball on the reciever..there's experts on this forum that could recommend a better match for those speakers....

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks very much for your replies. I really appreciate it.

Seems like people have concerns over the receiver whether it can power the speakers or not.... Unfirtunately i am limited with space and cant get a separate receiver to power the sources. Does anybody have a good recommendation for a receiver that can pair well with the source?

I was planning to use the pioneer 3.1 but would definitely want the option to use it 5.1 so I am guessing the pioneer wont be enuf to drive all the speakers?

·
Registered
2,654 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthling121 /forum/post/19584164

Thanks very much for your replies. I really appreciate it.

Seems like people have concerns over the receiver whether it can power the speakers or not.... Unfirtunately i am limited with space and cant get a separate receiver to power the sources. Does anybody have a good recommendation for a receiver that can pair well with the source?

I was planning to use the pioneer 3.1 but would definitely want the option to use it 5.1 so I am guessing the pioneer wont be enuf to drive all the speakers?

If you are only limited by space it's worth noting that ML Purity's are self powered and would play well with any receiver. Of course, this assumes almost twice the amount of speaker $$$.

I think Rotel and higher end Harman Kardon's would do OK, or at least older ones did.

Ron

·
Registered
156 Posts
You can take a look at the higher end Onkyo's and Denons..Call Martinlogan and talk to them, you don't want to buy a reciever that can't handle the load..if rotel and HK are in your budget take a look at them also, take your time and if u can find a knowledgable hf dealer ask to listen to the ML's with the amp you may buy to be sure it works well and sounds good...

·
Registered
15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthling121 /forum/post/19552958

Hello experts, I am a noob when it comes to hifi audio and will appreciate your help in answering some of my questions.

I am considering buying the martin logan sources ~$700/each + pioneer vsx 1120 to drive them. My questions are

1) Can the pioneer drive these speakers? I have read comments on this forum that you would need to buy Emotiva XPA3 or similar in addition to the pioneer amp

2) What would be a good center channel that will match the sources?

3) Will buying any 10-12" sub fill the room? or would I need to buy a martin logan sub to match the speakers? My local magnolia rep told me that subs arent that important for matching and I can buy any sub that fits my budget

Thanks in advance for your help. Happy holidays

I think I'll jump in on this one because I'm in pretty much the same boat as you are. I bought my Sources about two weeks ago and bought a ML Motion 6 for the center. The Motion 6 actually matches the sources quite well for highs, but unfortunatly, the low end is kind of lacking. It kind of depends on how much content is going to the center channel, but the more content, the more you'll notice a gap. I checked out the Motion 8 at Best Buy (Magnolia) and there is a pretty noticible difference in sound quality. If I were you, I'd get a Motion 8 or C for the center. I'm also looking at the older Encores since you can get them so cheap, but there's not much info comparing the Encores to the Motions so I don't know which way to go.

As far as the amp goes, I have an Onkyo TX-SR876 that does a surprisingly good job with them. Before they arrived, I was looking at upgrading to Emotiva XPA-5/UMC-1, but so far I'm pleased with the performance of the 876, so I'll be keeping it. I've driven everythin quite loud for giggles and haven't been able to tell of any issues with driving these speakers. You ask for more and the 876 just seems to give it. You can get a refurb one for under $700 now. Is the amp in this as good as the XPA-5? I doubt it, but it also saved me $1k from the upgrade (and the preprocessing portion of the 876 is pretty fantastic).

Hope that helps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.