AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Anyone who owns these or are familiar care to opine on the Summit X speaker? Thanks. Regards. Ned.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I recently demo'd them as the deals right now on them are great. Very impressive speaker for vocals, acoustic music, piano etc.

Does Rock OK. The powered subs have impact, but I wouldn't make them my first pick for classic or hard rock, or anything more metal. The midrange doesn't have quite the impact I would like.

IF I could have two nice systems however - Martin Logan would likely be my second system. (as I'm a rock guy, but appreciate what they can do, something like Jack Johnson, Bob Dylan sounds GREAT).

AC/DC, Volbeat, Van Halen - you are better off with a bigger traditional speaker.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I recently demo'd them as the deals right now on them are great. Very impressive speaker for vocals, acoustic music, piano etc.

Does Rock OK. The powered subs have impact, but I wouldn't make them my first pick for classic or hard rock, or anything more metal. The midrange doesn't have quite the impact I would like.

IF I could have two nice systems however - Martin Logan would likely be my second system. (as I'm a rock guy, but appreciate what they can do, something like Jack Johnson, Bob Dylan sounds GREAT).

AC/DC, Volbeat, Van Halen - you are better off with a bigger traditional speaker.
I'm s classic rock kind of person, as well as a Deadhead. I've heard ML speakers sporadically over the years and each time remember being amazed by their sound. I never really did a more serious audition but temped to do so. They have a new lineup coming so I know there are great deals. Interestingly, the replacement for the Summit X at same price point is a 13 inch wide panel as opposed to 11. Thanks. Regards. Ned.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I think for a lot of Dead stuff, they would be very good speaker, Phish, stuff like that, I suspect they would be quite nice.

I've heard the Neoliths in a 200k plus system and well - they rocked. But that's a different stratoshpere of system.

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
I spent three long auditions (between 2-1/2 to 3 hours each) auditioning the Summits and the Vantage (replaced by the better Ethos). I’ve always liked ESLs and also heard the Sanders. While I did end up going with panels, I went with Maggies instead and added a sub.

I think you should also consider the Ethos or even Theos. There’s a big price difference without a big sound difference. But if you are drawn to the Summits, then sure, buy them and enjoy them. They are a great speaker.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I spent three long auditions (between 2-1/2 to 3 hours each) auditioning the Summits and the Vantage (replaced by the better Ethos). I’ve always liked ESLs and also heard the Sanders. While I did end up going with panels, I went with Maggies instead and added a sub.

I think you should also consider the Ethos or even Theos. There’s a big price difference without a big sound difference. But if you are drawn to the Summits, then sure, buy them and enjoy them. They are a great speaker.
Which Maggies did you o with? In what way did you prefer them? Thanks. Regards. Ned.

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
Which Maggies did you o with? In what way did you prefer them? Thanks. Regards. Ned.
I went with the Magnepan 3.6 (the 3.7's were released a year later). I preferred them over the ML's for several reasons. One, they presented a much wider sweet spot. Two, their midrange and bass panels were seamless compared to the ESL's with a bass module, and third the soundstage was huge and very deep, and simply blew me away. Their bass (not nearly as deep as the Summits) hit you differently than can be accomplished with conventional drivers. It's simply unique. However, the ML's are a much nicer and more modern looking speaker. Their physical size won't dominate a room like the 6' tall x 2' wide Maggies and would have fit much nicer in my home. And I do love the ESL sound. They have a slightly more detailed and pristine quality that I love. But Planar-magnetics and ESLs sound very, very similar. I happen to be auditioning the Paradigm Sub 1 several years ago and they had them hooked up to a pair of ML Ethos ESL's. I could have sworn I was in my home listening to the Maggies ;). Of course there was a considerable price difference, but I didn't let that influence my decision. I was certainly willing to pay the $15k price tag for the Summits, but happy that I didn't pay anywhere near that price to get what I wanted.

Both the ML ESL's and Maggies are 4 Ohm speakers, although the Maggies won't dip below 3 Ohms, where the ESL's will dip close to 1 Ohm (thankfully only at the high end). However, the ML Summits are far more sensitive than the Maggies, so can be run to louder levels with less power/current. Both have their pluses and minuses, but I have truly found the speaker that has put a smile on my face every single day for the past 6 years. Now it's time for you to get yours :). So let me know which ESL's you decide to get, and how you like them in your home!

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I went with the Magnepan 3.6 (the 3.7's were released a year later). I preferred them over the ML's for several reasons. One, they presented a much wider sweet spot. Two, their midrange and bass panels were seamless compared to the ESL's with a bass module, and third the soundstage was huge and very deep, and simply blew me away. Their bass (not nearly as deep as the Summits) hit you differently than can be accomplished with conventional drivers. It's simply unique. However, the ML's are a much nicer and more modern looking speaker. Their physical size won't dominate a room like the 6' tall x 2' wide Maggies and would have fit much nicer in my home. And I do love the ESL sound. They have a slightly more detailed and pristine quality that I love. But Planar-magnetics and ESLs sound very, very similar. I happen to be auditioning the Paradigm Sub 1 several years ago and they had them hooked up to a pair of ML Ethos ESL's. I could have sworn I was in my home listening to the Maggies ;). Of course there was a considerable price difference, but I didn't let that influence my decision. I was certainly willing to pay the $15k price tag for the Summits, but happy that I didn't pay anywhere near that price to get what I wanted.

Both the ML ESL's and Maggies are 4 Ohm speakers, although the Maggies won't dip below 3 Ohms, where the ESL's will dip close to 1 Ohm (thankfully only at the high end). However, the ML Summits are far more sensitive than the Maggies, so can be run to louder levels with less power/current. Both have their pluses and minuses, but I have truly found the speaker that has put a smile on my face every single day for the past 6 years. Now it's time for you to get yours :). So let me know which ESL's you decide to get, and how you like them in your home!
I appreciate the thoughtful response. In no rush, the new ML line will be coming out soon and they appear to be giving you more speaker for the money. I owned a pair of Maggie 3.3 around 30 years ago and they were great. Interestingly, there is a company called GT Audio Works about an hour north of me that makes a Maggie like speakers, have seen some great reviews. I spoke with him on the phone and his major difference from Maggies is his use of neodymium magnets which he claims makes the speakers way more dynamic and detailed as well as having 93db efficiency! Claims flat response down to 31hz. Might go listen to them in two weeks or so. Thanks. Regards. Ned.

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
I appreciate the thoughtful response. In no rush, the new ML line will be coming out soon and they appear to be giving you more speaker for the money. I owned a pair of Maggie 3.3 around 30 years ago and they were great. Interestingly, there is a company called GT Audio Works about an hour north of me that makes a Maggie like speakers, have seen some great reviews. I spoke with him on the phone and his major difference from Maggies is his use of neodymium magnets which he claims makes the speakers way more dynamic and detailed as well as having 93db efficiency! Claims flat response down to 31hz. Might go listen to them in two weeks or so. Thanks. Regards. Ned.
Since you owned the 3.x series, you know how damn big they are ;). I always tell people who have never seen them up close is to do just that. See them. I consider the 3.x series as huge and the 20.x series gigantic ;)

Interesting speaker coming from GT Audio. They use a conventional bass box like the Martin Logan ESL’s and appear to have a long ribbon tweeter like the Maggies. It also appears one can situate the speakers with tweeters in or tweeters out. The panels get huge when one is talking about sub 30 Hz response (as in the 20.7’s). The GT’s are an interesting looking speaker. I worry about the width of the speaker (narrows the sweet spot), but certainly like their sensitivity rating. Let me know how you like them, Ned.

Honestly, the Martin Logan ESL’s stand well above the Maggies and these GT’s in looks. They simply are a sexy speaker that works great in a modern decor (but I think would look great anywhere). And the new line up appears to make more sense in pricing. Never could figure why there was such a price difference between certain models, especially those with the same panel size. A fellow member here ( @nalthien ) owns the Theos and loves them, but is also eyeing their new lineup as well.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Since you owned the 3.x series, you know how damn big they are ;). I always tell people who have never seen them up close is to do just that. See them. I consider the 3.x series as huge and the 20.x series gigantic ;)

Interesting speaker coming from GT Audio. They use a conventional bass box like the Martin Logan ESL’s and appear to have a long ribbon tweeter like the Maggies. It also appears one can situate the speakers with tweeters in or tweeters out. The panels get huge when one is talking about sub 30 Hz response (as in the 20.7’s). The GT’s are an interesting looking speaker. I worry about the width of the speaker (narrows the sweet spot), but certainly like their sensitivity rating. Let me know how you like them, Ned.

Honestly, the Martin Logan ESL’s stand well above the Maggies and these GT’s in looks. They simply are a sexy speaker that works great in a modern decor (but I think would look great anywhere). And the new line up appears to make more sense in pricing. Never could figure why there was such a price difference between certain models, especially those with the same panel size. A fellow member here ( @nalthien ) owns the Theos and loves them, but is also eyeing their new lineup as well.
I totally agree. The ML speakers are a beautiful piece of industrial art. The picture on the GTA website is an older model. His top speaker is a full length and wider panel, no traditional woofer. He claims that the neodymium magnets alone cost $1,000, not sure if he meant per pair or per speaker. He claims his magnets make a world of difference. The difference between his speaker and Maggies on efficiency is immense. That matters. But you're right, definitely not the most attractive look in speakers. Regards. Ned.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Chiming in here since @dsrussell was nice enough to ping me. As he said, I'm a current Theos owner and I've heard all of the soon-to-be-phased-out ML lineup from the ElectroMotions up through the CLX ART.

The absolute sweet spot of the current lineup is the Montis. It represents a sizable upgrade over the Theos / Ethos and the Summit X isn't nearly as big an upgrade over the Montis for the same $5k difference.

The future lineup is a bit harder to tell. My dealer just got their Expression pair out for demo; but, they didn't have it set up for listening yet (they had literally just finished unboxing them when I came in). I'm probably not realistically considering the Expression at $15k; but, the Impression at the $10k price point of the Montis represents a legitimate upgrade over the Montis.

That said, the Summit X and Montis are likely both available at a good discount at the moment--and you really can't go wrong with either!

Reactions: dsrussell
1 - 11 of 11 Posts