AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some input from other ML aficionados.

I’ve been toying with the idea of upgrading from my current Logos center to something that will better match the output capabilities of my front Monolith III’s.

I have a front projection system with a Stewart microperforated screen that the center sits behind. So any floor (or stand ) mounted speaker would work. There is 3 ft between screen and front wall. Logos is currently mounted on that wall using its supplied bracket.

While the sound is quite satisfactory now, I do detect some tonal variances, especially with DVD-A sources or using trifield modes on my Meridian pre-pro.

Plus, at high volumes, it just can’t keep up.

One idea is to get a used set of CLS IIz and mount one speaker behind the screen. Guess the other could be used as center rear.

Another idea is to look for another set of Monolith III’s (maybe with one damaged unit to lower the price) and use a 100% match to my L/R speakers for the center.

If I go the used Monolith route, I’d immediately upgrade all panels on the front three to insure perfect match.

I’m also trying to solve my side speaker dilemma, as I want to go 7.1. One option is to use a pair of Logos mounted on the side walls (I’d have to obtain another used Logos to have the pair).

I need something that is wall mounted, and that can cover two rows of seating. Therefore most options such as mounting Stylos or other small ML’s with limited horizontal dispersion might not work.

Room is dedicated HT 26’L x 15’ W x 10’ H. Details here: http://www.mindspring.com/~jonfoulke...m%20intro.html

Follow the ‘home theater room’ link for more details and pics of the space.

Any feedback on these options (or others) is welcome. I’m especially interested in other ML 7.1 setups in rooms with similar dimensions.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I don't know if the CLS or any series would be able to handle the SPL a center requires, even if the speaker is set to small. Whether it perform better than the Logos is unknown since the CLS IIz doesn't have any of the dynamic/cone drivers helping it out in the upper or low freq.

Maybe the way to set the center channel is not to have it mounted against the wall, but as close to the screen as possible and let the speaker have space to breathe. If that makes it better, you could go with double or triple Logos to help in the SPL.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Have you considered the Theater?

For the sides a good pair of Stylos works well. That's what I use. Mounted slightly behind the seating position and tilted in.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by lwang
I don't know if the CLS or any series would be able to handle the SPL a center requires, even if the speaker is set to small.
Um, don’t get that. If a Monolith, which has a smaller panel than a CLS can play at X SPL in my room using my amps, why would a CLS IIz not be able to at least equal that output with its larger panel?

As for frequency range, the center has a 24db/Octave active x-over in front of it set at 100hz, hopefully the full-range CLS can handle that.

The other question is dispersal patterns. One of the alleged benefits of a Logos/Theater is that they have tailored dispersal patterns suited to center ch. duties.

I plan on upgrading to some TacT room correction/X-over setup in the future, and those units offer 10 th order Crossovers, which should insure the CLS (or other Center) would operate in its prime frequency range.

I might try moving one of Monoliths to the Center and placing the sequels in L/R duties and see what that does.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have an all M-L speaker home theatre system with the Logo center and CLSIIIz for fronts. I would not use the CLSIIIz for the center, but buy the new center speaker. I would then use the Logo for the rear center. As far as sides go, I would use M-L areiusi or the Scenarios. they would be perfect for the amount of information fed to them.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I really love the ML Theater as a center front speaker. However, I'm not sure about the balance with your other speakers. Is there any way you can demo it with your setup? I have the Odysseys as the two fronts with Cinemas as my side and rear surrounds. Really can't recommend the Theater highly enough as a center front.

Leslie

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.