AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to get some opinions on these from the community. These are brand new lower end MLs that just came in, and I'm seriously thinking of selling my system for some.

Anyone else messed with them? What's the general opinion of the community?

P.S. - No audio snobs please. I can't afford a MartinLogan CLX or anything crazy, just keep the conversation focused on these speakers please.

Thanks.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just be aware that the Preface is not going to sound like a Source, Purity, or any other ESL panel speaker, since the ESL-looking part of the Preface is actually just a grill--it uses only ATF drivers like the Mosaic and Montage for its highs.

These speakers sound pretty decent, but they don't achieve the widely recognized ML 'airy' transparent sound. It's a little more, erm... tinny, I guess.

·
Registered
364 Posts
The preface use a singal ATF(planar/ribbon) driver like the montage. The mosaics used 2 ATF drivers. The first difference(and main) between this speaker and the rest of the ML line(except for the vignette, fresco, & inwalls) is that the design isnt dipolar. If thats the "ML Sound" your looking for than dont expect it with this one. IMO you can pick up a used pair like these for 899 if you want that sound. I run mosaics in my ht and have been very happy(didnt consider the montage ans the mids sounded to muddy). If your going to pick a used pair shoot for 2000 or later models for the latest panel designs

1 - 5 of 5 Posts