AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to home theater and i went to Magnolia looking for solutions to my 15x30 ft room (comb. family and kitchen-not exactly uncluttered). I would use devices 85% TV; 15 music.

I was introduced to MartinLogin Motion 12 and B&W speakers. The Martin's are on sale for $1,200. Salesman wanted to pair this with a Pioneer Elite VSX5100 also on sale for $699.00 and a "REL" subwoofer T9BLA for $1100.

I have a Panasonic Viera 42" TV w two HDMIs and a fat Playstation 3 on which I mostly play Blu-Ray movies.

Whole 3:1 system would be about $3k

Did like the Matin's because they sounded a bit more realistic than the B&Ws; although B&Ws had a better bass, the REL would take care of that.

I think the B&Ws were $2k/pr

Any thoughts? Thank you in advance for your time and patience!

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeld52
I am new to home theater and i went to Magnolia looking for solutions to my 15x30 ft room (comb. family and kitchen-not exactly uncluttered). I would use devices 85% TV; 15 music.

I was introduced to MartinLogin Motion 12 and B&W speakers. The Martin's are on sale for $1,200. Salesman wanted to pair this with a Pioneer Elite VSX5100 also on sale for $699.00 and a "REL" subwoofer T9BLA for $1100.

I have a Panasonic Viera 42" TV w two HDMIs and a fat Playstation 3 on which I mostly play Blu-Ray movies.

Whole 3:1 system would be about $3k

Did like the Matin's because they sounded a bit more realistic than the B&Ws; although B&Ws had a better bass, the REL would take care of that.

I think the B&Ws were $2k/pr

Any thoughts? Thank you in advance for your time and patience!
Not much to think about. What you will get or others personal preferences and opinions and the only opinions that matter are yours and what your ears liked. No right or wrong when it comes to picking speakers (for the most part anyway).

·
Banned
2,914 Posts
I wouldn't buy a Pioneer unless you are happy with a blanket crossover. Which, if you buy 5(or 7) matching speakers is fine, but if your speakers are going to be tower fronts...and presumably bookshelf rears, you are much better served by a Denon/Marantz...if you are beholden to purchase at Best Buy.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schan1269
I wouldn't buy a Pioneer unless you are happy with a blanket crossover. Which, if you buy 5(or 7) matching speakers is fine, but if your speakers are going to be tower fronts...and presumably bookshelf rears, you are much better served by a Denon/Marantz...if you are beholden to purchase at Best Buy.
I think he is purchasing from a standalone MAV or Design Center. Either way, the ones in BBY also have Onkyo.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanaticalism
Not much to think about. What you will get or others personal preferences and opinions and the only opinions that matter are yours and what your ears liked. No right or wrong when it comes to picking speakers (for the most part anyway).
OP, this here is good advice.

I actually agree with your original opinions when I heard those speakers. The BW 683 towers have better bass than the ML Motion 12s, however the MLs sound rather incredible. Was the REL subwoofer clearanced? I'm assuming you went to a BB Magnolia store, and the REL subs were just clearanced out, and you are getting a good price, correct?

I really like Pioneer Elites, but there seems to be a lot of Audyssey fandom on the boards. (I am not trying to be rude here). Once you run MCACC I think you will be equally satisfied, no matter which receiver you choose. How did you like the Pioneer?

·
Registered
12,142 Posts
The Motion 12 speakers are solid. I really liked them when I listened to them. My advice would be to shop around for receivers. Personally I am a Denon fan (having owned numerous Onkyo receivers over the past 10 years).

As far as subwoofers go, I would skip the REL and look online at subs from HSU, Epik, Ryhtmik, SVS, Chase Home Theater, etc. The HSU VTF-15H would be a solid pick, and you could add a second down the road.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This was a Magnolia store in BB. They also had a Marantz 125w for $1599 and another Denon receiver AVR4311 for $1999. The Pioneer Elite was a prior year's model, that is why it was on sale.

They carry subwoofer brands REL, Martin Login, B&W, and Definitive.

I guess I was concerned that these Motion12s would hold up in 15x30' cluttered room, but would be hard to recreate this environment in a studio.

·
Registered
498 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeld52 /forum/post/20764328

This was a Magnolia store in BB. They also had a Marantz 125w for $1599 and another Denon receiver AVR4311 for $1999. The Pioneer Elite was a prior year's model, that is why it was on sale.

They carry subwoofer brands REL, Martin Login, B&W, and Definitive.

I guess I was concerned that these Motion12s would hold up in 15x30' cluttered room, but would be hard to recreate this environment in a studio.

Do you need a receiver with all those features, or are you selecting ones at that price point for the wattage rating?

If the REL subs are not on any particular clearance there are some internet subs that will be more room filling. (or two subwoofers). One of the more seasoned vets could correct me here, but i believe the Motion 12s have a better "soundstage" and perform well in a larger room.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, that is why the Pioneer Elite VSX5100 for $699 sounded appealing at 140watts per channel. Don't know about other "features" on this model. I would like the option of expandibility to a 5:1 and/or 7:1 system maybe in the future.

As I stated, they are having a sale on the Motion12s from, I belive $1699 to $1199.98

I am open-ended on the REL subwoofer at $1100.00 Perhaps there are better subwoofers about there. I am not sure about compatibility issues on this subject, though.

·
Registered
12,142 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeld52 /forum/post/20766219

Well, that is why the Pioneer Elite VSX5100 for $699 sounded appealing at 140watts per channel. Don't know about other "features" on this model. I would like the option of expandibility to a 5:1 and/or 7:1 system maybe in the future.

Are you certain about that model from Pioneer? Cannot find a corresponding model at their website (there is the VSX-51, but does not seem to match up). The Pioneer Elite receivers are solid, so if you get a good price, then it may be worth buying.

As for the Martin Logan speakers and your room. The speakers are rated at 92db. That is pretty efficient and you should be able to hit reference level with that in your room with a receiver rated 90-100 watts. But keep in mind that all receivers are not rated the same and you cannot believe the specs. As for your room, can you explain it a little more? Is there carpet? Are you talking about vaulted ceilings? Are there things like couches and pillows and drapes in the room? This can affect how your speakers sound. Also what is your goal for the system? Are you planning on playing at reference type levels (i.e. really loud)?

Quote:
I am open-ended on the REL subwoofer at $1100.00 Perhaps there are better subwoofers about there. I am not sure about compatibility issues on this subject, though.

There is zero compatibility issues. You can buy whatever subwoofer you want. I would 100% look into internet direct for subwoofers vs what you can buy at Best Buy/Magnolia. You are going to get better performance and you are going to save money.

·
Registered
498 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeld52 /forum/post/20766219

As I stated, they are having a sale on the Motion12s from, I belive $1699 to $1199.98

The receiver sounds like a great buy, and the ML speakers are not on sale... ML Motion 12 towers cost 1199.99 for a pair, regular retail.
http://www.martinlogan.com/motionSeries/index.php

·
Registered
101 Posts
NEWEGG.COM has been selling the Motion 12's for $429 each on the weekends.

I am considering a system with the Motion 12's, Motion 4's for rears and a Motion 8 for the center. I have a 95 watt Yamaha RX-V867, 95 watts/channel (for 2 channels). Will this be able to handle 5 relatively efficient 4 ohm speakers or will I ultimately need to add an amp? (I should have waited to buy my receiver until after I bought my speakers)?

How would this compare to my alternative: 6 ohm PSB Image T5's?

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
A couple of weeks ago I compared the Motion 12's to the GoldenEar Triton Two, one of the hottest high-end speakers in the market. The Tritons had significantly better bass and a more detailed midrange (in fact I ordered a pair) but the Motion 12's, at half the price of the Tritons, were surprisingly good. Imaging was out of this world. Midrange and highs were very clear and natural. I liked the Motions better than the ML electrostatics, which I found unbearably bright.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I am looking at the Motion 12's but I am worried that I have an oddly shaped room to utilize the dipole midrange. The room is 16 ft by 20 ft but the wall on which the TV must go is just half of a 16 ft side. A picture is below.

First, the speaker placement in the room is not symmetric so the distance to the side walls will be different. Second, the left (facing) speaker will be max 10" from the wall when 24 " is recommended. Third, the right speaker will be 10" inside the end of the wall, so some of the rear projected sound will flow into the kitchen and not be reflected.

Not a great sonic situation. (No luck getting my wife to move the TV to our more symmetric living room.) Given the big L-shaped sofa, there is little leeway to move the speakers. Should I give up on the Motion 12's and move to something more traditional like a front-ported PSB T5?

Thanks.

·
Registered
Sony A90J panel; Marantz SR7015 AVR; Paradigm Signature speakers; Oppo 203 and Panasonic 820 UHD BR.
4,333 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mraub /forum/post/20779829

A couple of weeks ago I compared the Motion 12's to the GoldenEar Triton Two, one of the hottest high-end speakers in the market. The Tritons had significantly better bass and a more detailed midrange (in fact I ordered a pair) but the Motion 12's, at half the price of the Tritons, were surprisingly good. Imaging was out of this world. Midrange and highs were very clear and natural. I liked the Motions better than the ML electrostatics, which I found unbearably bright.

Yea, I believe that the Motion 12's have almost the exact same ribbon tweeter as the GoldenEar Triton II, so if you liked the highs of one, you'd like the highs tone of the other, theoretically.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.