AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just wondering if anyone has done or has any thoughts on adapting a "Marty Cube" sub woofer to be a part of your screen wall stage, and your rear seat riser platform? check out my model of what I was thinking for the stage. My room is not large enough for a standard configuration. I was thinking this would be a good alternative. What does everyone think?
what direction should I face the sub (up or down)? what about the port?
Just FYI room size: 12'-11" wide x 15'-11" long x 8'-5" ceiling

Attachments

·
Registered
21,339 Posts
anything is possible. if the cab volume is the same and the ports are the same, performance will pretty much be the same.

I'd probably put a pair of these under your screen: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/1529080-cyclops-new-ltd02-design.html

then pull your mains forward and treat the front wall to the sides of your screen with absorption.

the center channel up in the clouds probably won't serve you as well as if it were under the screen.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the center channel up in the clouds probably won't serve you as well as if it were under the screen.[/quote]

Thanks, I already moved the center down to the bottom, I just didn't change it in the model/picture.

About two subs in the stage, I was under the impression that ideal locations for two subs would be centered on opposite walls. That's why I was thinking the other should be built into the rear seat riser??

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
If you can figure out how to keep anyone from accidentally stepping on top of it, I'd do martystage in a heartbeat.

The pimp factor is strong here!

·
Registered
425 Posts
I think it is a clever use of space. Yes, you will have to find a way to protect the speaker.
My suggestion is to keep the enclosure within the stairs, away from the L,R speakers. You will want to keep the L,R mains on solid footing. Divide out the space and fill the cavity under the mains with sand.

·
Registered
973 Posts
I have considered doing something similar. That is, building a horn sub as a riser. Either that, or four to six ported Infinity 1260's behind my seats, near field. Right now I am leaning towards the ported 1260's near field as it would be much easier to build. That, and the fact that there aren't, to my knowledge, any existing designs out there for a horn sub into a riser.

I like your idea and I think that it would work great. Build one 12cu/ft enclosure into the front stage, and another into the riser.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Before going ahead with this you really should examine where in the room the acoustical output of the subwoofer is best located. Dont just assume that putting the woofer and port in the corner or mid wall will not create a null right at the seating position. I would first build a pair ( or however many subs you want) of small, easy to move, sealed boxes and move the around to see what position works best.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
how many row of seating do you plan to have? looks like just one row?
2 rows of seating, with the back row just about up against the rear wall. There will be just enough room behind the rear seats to have them be able to recline.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Before going ahead with this you really should examine where in the room the acoustical output of the subwoofer is best located. Dont just assume that putting the woofer and port in the corner or mid wall will not create a null right at the seating position. I would first build a pair ( or however many subs you want) of small, easy to move, sealed boxes and move the around to see what position works best.

Do you think I could use a home theater in a box sub to do this? That way I could use something I already have for the testing??

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think it is a clever use of space. Yes, you will have to find a way to protect the speaker.
My suggestion is to keep the enclosure within the stairs, away from the L,R speakers. You will want to keep the L,R mains on solid footing. Divide out the space and fill the cavity under the mains with sand.
Is it necessary to fill the entire thing with sand? Or could I just put a few inches in the bottoms of the two outer cavities where the front stage would sit. The reason I am asking is that the stage is going to be about 15" tall on the ends, which would need a lot of sand to fill 100%. maybe fill,the rest above the couple inches of sand with insulation??

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
I vote for the tapped horn if you can build it. The infinity's are dirt cheap, i would stuff as many as I could in that riser. What about column? you could throw two columns up in the room make them half bass trap half sub?

·
Registered
842 Posts
Do you think I could use a home theater in a box sub to do this? That way I could use something I already have for the testing??
Im not sure. I depends how deep into the bass it can reproduce. No harm in trying. I should at least have good output to about 30 Hz or so. You need a USB-mic or mic/soundcard combo to get the mot reliable readings. I would just order the woofer and amp you decide on anyway and build a small sealed test cab that can be moved around, and be placed in the spots you imagined the acoustical output of your stage sub would be. That way you can decide if its a good spot before building the entire thing.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Attached is drawing of my space, just so everyone has an idea of what i'm working with.
You room is very similar in size to mine. Is it on a suspended floor? Reason I ask is that you have a small enough room to do sealed without needing obscene displacement. Or, if doing ported, you could shoot for a very low tune like 11 hz.

Use REW to model your room. I suspect your MLP at 5' from the back is about perfect. My sweet spot is 4.5-5'.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You room is very similar in size to mine. Is it on a suspended floor? Reason I ask is that you have a small enough room to do sealed without needing obscene displacement. Or, if doing ported, you could shoot for a very low tune like 11 hz.

Use REW to model your room. I suspect your MLP at 5' from the back is about perfect. My sweet spot is 4.5-5'.

This is a basement build. With the screen wall, and right of screen, being exterior foundation walls and rest is 2x4 framing with sound insulation.

I was contemplating using 2 sealed 15's : one in the stage and one in the rear seat riser. Or possibly just one 18" ported "marty style" in the stage only (Centered). or 2 ported martys???

probably going to use an 3000DSP for power.

I really need to make a decision soon, drywall should be finishing up by the end of the week so I would like to have a plan to keep moving forward. Any other suggestions? Qty-2 18's too much?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts