AVS Forum banner

3021 - 3040 of 5288 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Wrong again. Yours is a custom slot-ported sub. A Mini Marty is 8.993 ft³, yours is 9.781 ft³. A Mini Marty is designed to used 2 x 4 handy panels from your local home store to minimize cutting, while yours is not.

These measurements were roughly what i have room for. The thread is about more bass for the buck and the beginning said we can modify it to best suit our rooms? RIGHT? So whats your beef with me?

·
Registered
33 Posts
If all you want to do is keep the same tuning, all you need to do is keep the same internal volume, same port length, and same port cross section area (height x width of port). That said, part of the beauty of the Marty's is the efficient use of MDF (very little waste), ease of cutting (most every piece has the same rips - so you are insured same dimensions from piece to piece), and ease of assembly (lots of error proofing in design).

The new SI is interesting enough I researched it several hours last night. I never found the answer, but it appears that SI generally has about 1/4" larger outside diameter. If the new one follows suite, it will not fit my baffle that I recessed for the UM18-22.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Thank You @mousehunter this helps out a lot. Will have to do some thinking here' lol. Sorry to hear about the SI/UM issue I will research it, but rather stay with what I already have and wait for the new stock @ PE. Oh and Happy Easter, Thanks again.:)

·
Registered
6,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,024
I have a problem with my media setup. I know this isn't the thread but I hope someone can help me out.

I have my PC with dvi out to my 70" sharp TV. I use a passive dvi to HDMI converter to be able to plug into my TV. When I play a video game or do anything on my PC it uses the built in Intel graphics card instead of my AMD card.

When I hook up my PC to a standard monitor the AMD video card works fine.

Do I need an active converter to get my system working ?

I know martysub users are all around geniuses :)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
75 Posts
Active dvi to HDMI should solve your problem as long as your video card supports it. Htpc is likely your culprit, I have a semi faulty active adapter I could send you for shipping cost to test if you'd want. It only works in a certain position (if I can find it, replaced 2 years ago) Let me know.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,026
How do I check if my video card supports active. It's an AMD R9 270x. I tried to look at specs but didn't see anything.

Don't worry about sending me one but thanks for the offer.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Will not make many progress posts, but today's was personally amusing enough. After cutting the board 3 times it was still too short - time to get the board stretcher.

Several of my cuts were less than square, resulting in the sides being a bit short (1/8" to 1/4"). So put the skill saw jig on them, and cut again (making them just a bit shorter, but now parallel to the bottom). The used the board stretcher to fill in the gap (inlayed some oak). Unnecessary work, but the bottom edges are now flush with the bottom, and more abrasion resistant. Anyway, even stupid mistakes don't have to be fatal.

·
Registered
6,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,028
Been doing woodwork for 30 years and still make mistakes. I'm pretty good at saying Ah fuc......

·
Registered
75 Posts
How do I check if my video card supports active. It's an AMD R9 270x. I tried to look at specs but didn't see anything.

Don't worry about sending me one but thanks for the offer.

The 270x is a fairly new card so I don't think an active/passive issue is your problem. I'll Google more tomorrow and let you know what the issue could be. I just want to say thanks for everything you've done for the community and I hope I can help you figure out your issue.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Reactions: chalugadp

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
These measurements were roughly what i have room for. The thread is about more bass for the buck and the beginning said we can modify it to best suit our rooms? RIGHT? So whats your beef with me?

No beef at all. You obviously didn't get the point. Besides that, I answered all your questions. Enjoy your new "Marty" Sub:rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
EPISODE IV: A NEW HOPE​

young Patowan Martycool007 asked for help​

building a subwoofer. The great subwoofer master​

@LTD02 took him under his wing, and soon the Marty Sub​

was born. Using nothing more than "handy panels" found in local​

home improvement stores, LTD02 designed the subwoofer box to need​

very few cuts, thus simplifying life for thousands of enthusiasts yet to come...​

The Marty Sub Attacks!

what it is
originally conceived as a simple subwoofer that could be built using 2'x4' "handy panels" from home depot or some other store and would have huge performance using either the 18" dayton 460ho driver or the stereo integrity 18ht subwoofer.

the purpose of using "handy panels" is that they come in approximately 2x4 foot length, so the top, bottom, left and right side would require no cuts and many of the other panels would only require one or two cuts. handy panels also tend to be pretty well square, which will help keep the whole project squared up.

Time passed, and the young Martycool disappeared from the forums. Legend has it that he was transmuted by his subwoofer and is gone forever, yet reports of sightings continue to this day. His legacy is so strong, that most any subwoofer built these days seems to be called a Marty Sub...causing irresistible giggles throughout the forums from those of us who believe in the One True Marty...

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I have a problem with my media setup. I know this isn't the thread but I hope someone can help me out.

I have my PC with dvi out to my 70" sharp TV. I use a passive dvi to HDMI converter to be able to plug into my TV. When I play a video game or do anything on my PC it uses the built in Intel graphics card instead of my AMD card.

When I hook up my PC to a standard monitor the AMD video card works fine.

Do I need an active converter to get my system working ?

I know martysub users are all around geniuses :)

Why do you think that it's using the Intel rather than the AMD? You plugged the video cable into the AMD card, right? Why are you dealing with DVI at all? Both the R9 and TV should have HDMI. You can disable the Intel in the BIOS if you want.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Are you trying to do duplicate displays or just your TV as the primary? And yes, there should not be a need to use the DVI. How long is your run?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Why do you think that it's using the Intel rather than the AMD? You plugged the video cable into the AMD card, right? Why are you dealing with DVI at all? Both the R9 and TV should have HDMI. You can disable the Intel in the BIOS if you want.
I agree with these statements. I don't see how the iGPU would be pumping output through the AMD card, so that seems unlikely. And unless you had more monitors and needed the Intel iGPU to drive some separately, I'd disable that in the BIOS and make sure you get all the goodness from the AMD.

·
Registered
4,566 Posts
Hopefully Zen makes them relevant again.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,037
I tried HDMI to HDMI of TV but no change. When selecting AMD settings it gives me error saying card isn't connected. I hook up 21" monitor and it works fine. Playing asassins Creed it identifies your card and gives you settings for that card. It gives Intel settings and game runs choppy.

·
Registered
6,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,038
I agree with these statements. I don't see how the iGPU would be pumping output through the AMD card, so that seems unlikely. And unless you had more monitors and needed the Intel iGPU to drive some separately, I'd disable that in the BIOS and make sure you get all the goodness from the AMD.
I did disable Intel card and my screen went black. Had to take it in to shop to get default settings back (they didn't charge me).

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I did disable Intel card and my screen went black. Had to take it in to shop to get default settings back (they didn't charge me).

Something doesn't make sense.

First, you don't need the Intel enabled if you have a video card. You can disable the Intel completely, and do everything through the R9. You did make sure you moved the video cable from the motherboard port to the R9, right?

But you don't have to disable the Intel to use the R9. All you have to do is plug the cable in to the R9.

You do have the Radeon drivers installed, right? The TV and monitor should work the same as each other. Boot up, unplug one, plug the other, plug both in at the same time, it should all work.

I have two Windows PCs in my house. Both have video cards, one AMD, one nVidia. Both have the Intel graphics still enabled. Both work fine for gaming with the display plugged into the video card. The nVidia system is connected to a TV as well, that's the HTPC.

3021 - 3040 of 5288 Posts