AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mary Tamm, the actress who played Romana, the Time Lord companion of The Doctor in the classic SF series Doctor Who, has died of cancer.

Romana first appeared in "The Ribos Operation" and later accompanied The Doctor throughout an entire season of the Classic series, the 26 episodes of the 1978 season referred to as "The Keys of Time".

\

Romana was one of my favorite Companions of The Doctor.

http://www.sfx.co.uk/2012/07/26/doctor-who-assistant-mary-tamm-dies-aged-62/

·
Registered
490 Posts
I remember her not just from the "Key To Time" saga, but IIRC she was also in The Odessa File. I'm not familiar with the rest of her work, but I'll miss her all the same.

·
Registered
13,814 Posts
Romana. Crushed on her fiercely in the 80's while watching The Doctor on PBS.

·
One-Man Content Creator
25,149 Posts
She did quite a lot of TV work. I saw her in an episode of "Jonathan Creek" not long ago.

Way back when, a young lady asked me "Who is your favorite Companion?" I could tell it was a test and that the correct answer would be "Leela", but I didn't want to pick, so I said:

"Sarah Jane was the quintessential companion; didn't she do it longer than anyone else? Leela was the most exciting because she was a jungle girl. The first Romana (Mary Tamm) was the most glamorous. The second Romana was interesting because she was Mrs Tom Baker for a while. And I have a soft spot for Jo Grant: you may think her dim, but she had a good heart and her instincts were always correct."

I'm fuzzy on Companions before and after the Tom Baker years, although Grant was with Pertwee.

-Bill

1 - 4 of 4 Posts