AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 416 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
  

 
 
     I would like to thank AVS Forum and all it's knowledgeable members, as it took me months of reading multiple threads before I started this project. I created a credits page off of my main menu to give credit dues and thanks. All of my custom patterns were created in Photoshop, converted to YUV (thanks to Ron’s rgbtouyvy utility), combined/created avs files, encoded in MeGUI to H.264, and authored in Adobe Encore. All of my patterns were tested thoroughly, making sure all conversions were done properly, and assuring reference quality. I attempted to make my disc intuitive as possible and section everything alike, together. I have a basic setup section, Misc. section, an advanced setup which includes pattern sizes 2%, 4%, 6.5%, 10%, 15%, Full Field, and 4 different APL selections. My patterns were designed using the round nearest method and will work with any software that utilizes thus method or for any software that assumes integer percentages. I created easy to read and navigable pop-up menus to cut down on time when calibrating. Please let me know if there are any problems, suggestions, or comments. Thank you for your continued support!
 
 

 

 
 

 
 

 
 

 

 
 

 
 

 
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
487 Posts
Congrats mate - looks superb!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
881 Posts
Thanks,I look forward to your AVSHD version.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
161 Posts
thanks for your free time and effort

creating the disk :thumbup:


great disk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
330 Posts
I always thought it was possible to write a bluray authored disc to dvd as long as the size was within dvd spec. Is this true?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
330 Posts
I always thought it was possible to write a bluray authored disc to dvd as long as the size was within dvd spec. Is this true?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wouter73  /t/1463980/masciors-calibration-disc#post_23097982


I always thought it was possible to write a bluray authored disc to dvd as long as the size was within dvd spec. Is this true?

That is correct and the current size of my disc will fit on a dvd. However, after speaking with Nathan (the author of the AVSHD709 disc) I will have to tweak my pop-up menus and a few other details to be compatible with the AVCHD format.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,317 Posts
I friend just send me the link for the disc. Looking forward to give it a try.


Thanks Ryan for sharing your efforts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,317 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mascior  /t/1463980/masciors-calibration-disc#post_23098034

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wouter73  /t/1463980/masciors-calibration-disc#post_23097982


I always thought it was possible to write a bluray authored disc to dvd as long as the size was within dvd spec. Is this true?

That is correct and the current size of my disc will fit on a dvd. However, after speaking with Nathan (the author of the AVSHD709 disc) I will have to tweak my pop-up menus and a few other details to be compatible with the AVCHD format.

If reauthored as a AVCHD pop up menus are not supported, and even if it is a true AVCHD some BD players have a problem with hi-bit rate video, PS3 being one of them. As far as burning a BD structure disc to DVD is doable, and most players will play it with out a problem, but here again its a well known fact that Sonys and Panaasonics have a hard time playing these type of discs.


The easiest way to reauthored it as an AVCHD is runing the BDMV folder through MultiAVCHD, it will not reencode the video, it will just change it to the correct folder and file structure, and of course pop up menus will no longer work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,286 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by superleo  /t/1463980/masciors-calibration-disc#post_23098064


The easiest way to reauthored it as an AVCHD is runing the BDMV folder through MultiAVCHD, it will not reencode the video, it will just change it to the correct folder and file structure

I believe AVCHD uses what some people term in-mux menus. Multi-AVCHD has been updated once since I used it, but previously it would not convert the Encore Mpeg2 menus to AVC video to be compatible with certain players. I don't know if Encore has gotten away from Mpeg2 menus on newer versions or if the latest Multi-AVCHD will now convert them, but a couple years ago it was a consideration for widespread compatability.

Quote:
of course pop up menus will no longer work.

Actually I think the Multi-AVCHD modified version I identified as AVCHD still has pop up menus on it that will work on some players.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,317 Posts
MultiAVCHD uses in-mux menus if you are creating menus with it, if you are using it in "Bluray re-author mode", it will only put the correct folder and file structure for compatibility, it will not re-encode anything else... video, audio or menus.


My experience when re-authoring for AVCHD compatibility has always being the loss of pop-menus; although with a limited amount of players, so it might well be that some players are capable still using the pop-up feature. It would be worth a shot.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
415 Posts
Mascior

For a perfect Calibration Disc it's necessary:

1) need to remove all signatures - because they distort the measurement results (for sure Panasonic VT30/GT30/ST30) and insert the same intermediate video ( 30 sec or more) between patterns

2) add 1% pattern size

3) add color checker (as GCD - 12 patterns)

4) add equal energy patterns (Spears & Munsil HD Benchmark Blu-Ray 2nd Edition) for gamma

5) add the right combination constant average picture level (APL) and a constant average luminance (AL) .

6) maybe add 5% pattern size

With great respect for your work, Andrei from Ukraine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
487 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by anta1974  /t/1463980/masciors-calibration-disc#post_23098382

Mascior

For a perfect Calibration Disc it's necessary:

1) need to remove all signatures - because they distort the measurement results (for sure Panasonic VT30/GT30/ST30) and insert the same intermediate video ( 30 sec or more) between patterns

2) add 1% pattern size

3) add color checker (as GCD - 12 patterns)

4) add equal energy patterns (Spears & Munsil HD Benchmark Blu-Ray 2nd Edition) for gamma

5) add the right combination constant average picture level (APL) and a constant average luminance (AL) .

6) maybe add 5% pattern size

With great respect for your work, Andrei from Ukraine.

Actually the Calman 5 colour checker patterns in sequence would be more suited.

These are what i use on my own custom pattern disks.


There are some issues with the colour sequences in the Apl selection, displays white, the magenta, then reverts back to the menu!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
487 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by anta1974  /t/1463980/masciors-calibration-disc#post_23098382


1) need to remove all signatures - because they distort the measurement results (for sure Panasonic VT30/GT30/ST30) and insert the same intermediate video ( 30 sec or more) between patterns

Hi Anta.


What signatures are you referring to here? The pattern labels presumably?
 
1 - 20 of 416 Posts
Top