AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 254 Posts

·
Registered
15,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone watching this crazy singing show? My wife is loving it. Kind of odd concept but it sure seems to be working for Fox, ratings are great and it has been renewed.

Showrunners came out and said that yes they are singing live under that mask, it is not lip sync.

My wife has accurately guessed everyone so far, even without using the Internet. She thinks she has the others figured out too.

I watch with her, some of the singers are pretty darn good, some you can tell have never done a song in their life. My favorite part is that a lot of the songs they sing are popular hits and not obscure stuff (most of them).

·
Registered
15,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Masked Singer’ Continues Wednesday’s Ratings Tearby Lisa de Moraes

February 14, 2019 9:46am

Fox’s whacky competition series Masked Singer (2.4, 7.793M) continues to own the demo crown on Wednesdays, climbing 2/10th from last week and logging a full rating point lead over closest competitor on the night, NBC’s Chicago Med (1.3, 8.805).

Med, however, was the night’s No. 1 program in overall audience and topped its 8 PM timeslot in both metrics. In that hour, CBS’s timeslot premiere of World’s Best (0.9, 5.807M) finished fourth in the demo, behind Med as well as Fox’s 24 Hours to Hell & Back (1.0, 3.363M) and ABC’s comedy hour, which clocked a 1.0.

World’s Best is well off the pace set in the slot this season by Survivor, which averaged a 1.5 in the demo. It has now fumbled 87% of the 7.0 demo rating it did a week and a half ago after the Super Bowl.

Following Med (1.3, 8.805M), Chicago Fire (1.2, 8.519M) was the night’s second strongest show in total viewers, besting the season finale of CBS’s Celebrity Big Brother (0.9, 3.862M), which inched up compared to Monday’s broadcast, but suffered a big drop versus last year’s wrapper in the demo on a Sunday against Olympics Closing Ceremony.

ABC’s Schooled (0.8, 3.724M) and Single Parents (0.6, 2.844M) both suffered lowest-yet stats in demo and total viewers, without a Modern Family original to tentpole at 9PM; network instead aired a Modern Family repeat (0.6, 2.844M). Goldbergs (1.1, 4.768M) was ABC’s best performer of the night; Match Game (0.5, 2.361M) closed out the night at 10 PM.

CW aired repeat Riverdale (0.2, 627K) and All American (0.2, 521K).

Fox (1.7, 5.578M) was No. 1 in the demo Wednesday; NBC (1.2, 8.300M) topped the night in overall audience. CBS (0.9, 4.510M) ranked No, 3 in both metrics, followed by ABC (0.7, 3.112M) and CW (0.2, 574K).

https://deadline.com/2019/02/masked...ig-brother-worlds-best-tv-ratings-1202557585/

·
Registered
12,891 Posts
Anyone watching this crazy singing show?
Not here. Singing reality shows are over... for me. I did set up a Season Pass out of habit and have simply deleted each episode unwatched (outside of a few premiere minutes).

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
It's crazy good. And fun to watch. And it's been renewed for a second season.

FYI, there was a Vulture article about it that guesses (and some cases got it right) about who's under the costumes. And the costumes themselves are outstanding, maybe even Emmy worthy.

Should tell you that the whole series is pre-taped (like AGT:The Champions) so the actual winner is already known to the producers. The rest of us have to wait another two weeks to find out.

https://www.vulture.com/2019/02/the-masked-singer-spoilers-identities.html

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
I watch this with my daughter since it’s one of the few programs that we can watch together since she doesn’t like stressful or violent shows. She knew about it from the Korean version which is even crazier than this one. That one has a live band and the singers usually perform longer songs that are usually ballads so they really need to be able to sing and the Korean costumes are not as elaborate.

Terry Bradshaw was a complete surprise. Margaret Cho was totally unexpected. I guessed Sally Jesse Raphael for Ricki Lake. Lol. I figured out LaToya Jackson. I know the Peacock for sure and have a suspicion for the Bee. The Lion and Rabbit, I have no idea.

·
Registered
15,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's crazy good. And fun to watch. And it's been renewed for a second season.

FYI, there was a Vulture article about it that guesses (and some cases got it right) about who's under the costumes. And the costumes themselves are outstanding, maybe even Emmy worthy.

Should tell you that the whole series is pre-taped (like AGT:The Champions) so the actual winner is already known to the producers. The rest of us have to wait another two weeks to find out.

https://www.vulture.com/2019/02/the-masked-singer-spoilers-identities.html
I know, right? Something about it we really like. My wife liked it more than me now I really like it too. The costumes, the guessing, the stellar performances by some of them are really impressive.

·
Registered
15,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I watch this with my daughter since it’s one of the few programs that we can watch together since she doesn’t like stressful or violent shows. She knew about it from the Korean version which is even crazier than this one. That one has a live band and the singers usually perform longer songs that are usually ballads so they really need to be able to sing and the Korean costumes are not as elaborate.

Terry Bradshaw was a complete surprise. Margaret Cho was totally unexpected. I guessed Sally Jesse Raphael for Ricki Lake. Lol. I figured out LaToya Jackson. I know the Peacock for sure and have a suspicion for the Bee. The Lion and Rabbit, I have no idea.
We guessed Terry right away. I did not guess Cho or Ricki Lake. We knew it was LaToya from the first set of clues and her voice. We are positive of the Peacock and the Bee (although after this week, my wife is thinking of changing her guess on the Bee). No idea on the Lion. A few hunches on the Rabbit, and no freaking clue who the Monster is.

·
Registered
261 Posts
We guessed Terry right away. I did not guess Cho or Ricki Lake. We knew it was LaToya from the first set of clues and her voice. We are positive of the Peacock and the Bee (although after this week, my wife is thinking of changing her guess on the Bee). No idea on the Lion. A few hunches on the Rabbit, and no freaking clue who the Monster is.
Our entire family is hooked on this one. We're 95% certain on the Peacock, 85% on the Rabbit, 80% on the Bee (was 95% until this past week when the clues went in a completely different direction than what we expected. 10 Grammys threw us off), 50% on Lion, and like you...no freaking clue on the Monster.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
We went into this thinking it would be stupid, but were intrigued nonetheless. We are surprised at how much we actually like this show.

The only one I've gotten right so far is Latoya Jackson, but I think I know the Peacock and the Bee.

·
Registered
26,799 Posts
80% on the Bee (was 95% until this past week when the clues went in a completely different direction than what we expected.

If you haven't noticed it yet, some of the clues they throw out are deliberate misdirects to throw you off the trail. You can't take all the clues for granted as being true.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I read the OP and skipped to avoid any spoilers. We began watching it last week and I think we've got 3 episodes under our belt . I knew who the deer was during his second performance. I thought the pineapple was Danny Trejo, no idea who the hippo was.

the only reason the show is good is because of the mystery. I don't like "pop" music at all, well modern anyway. Love me some Billy Joel, Jim Croce and 70s/80s rock, but I'm more of an industrial music fan.

Regardless, it is compelling and fun, I just wish Jenny would shut up during the singing.

·
Registered
26,799 Posts
In case anyone hasn't seen this:

·
Registered
26,799 Posts
There's another version with the reveal.
I don't think any English-speaking viewer would have any problem telling who that is. :)

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
I read the OP and skipped to avoid any spoilers. We began watching it last week and I think we've got 3 episodes under our belt . I knew who the deer was during his second performance. I thought the pineapple was Danny Trejo, no idea who the hippo was.

the only reason the show is good is because of the mystery. I don't like "pop" music at all, well modern anyway. Love me some Billy Joel, Jim Croce and 70s/80s rock, but I'm more of an industrial music fan.

Regardless, it is compelling and fun, I just wish Jenny would shut up during the singing.
The hippo, the first to be eliminated, was (now former) Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Antonio Brown.

·
Registered
15,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We totally had the Lion correct. Still no idea who the Monster is. I think it is pretty obvious who the Bee is (and will probably win the whole thing). I am a huge Pecock fan and if it is who I think it is, I cannot believe I like him that much and that he sings THAT good.

·
Registered
261 Posts
We totally had the Lion correct. Still no idea who the Monster is. I think it is pretty obvious who the Bee is (and will probably win the whole thing). I am a huge Pecock fan and if it is who I think it is, I cannot believe I like him that much and that he sings THAT good.
We had the Rabbit nailed, but were completely fooled on the Lion. We're not Empire fans, so that played a role as we missed some of the key clues.

We have no idea on the Monster either and agree the Bee is fairly obvious. I think it will be a close call between Peacock and Bee. It's the Peacock's showmanship vs. the Bee's pipes.

Still waffling on the Peacock's identity between two candidates the judges put forth last night.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Everyone was so far off on the Lion, so what actually gave it away?

My final 3 are:
Bee- Gladys Knight
Monster - Vanilla Ice
Peacock - Donny Osmond

·
Registered
641 Posts
The hippo, the first to be eliminated, was (now former) Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Antonio Brown.
yeah, but I wouldn't have been able to name one of hundreds of possible athletes. I'm not the biggest sports fan anyway, let alone figuring out who was behind the mask and the mediocre (albeit much better singing voice than mine).
We just saw the Poodle reveal last night. I had it pegged as Kathy Griffin, never would have guessed who it really was!!

1 - 20 of 254 Posts