AVS Forum banner

221 - 240 of 254 Posts

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Wait, that crowd wasn't real? Damn, they have come a long way in making things look realistic. I sat there all show wondering how the hell they were allowing this.

·
Registered
26,799 Posts
Wait, that crowd wasn't real? Damn, they have come a long way in making things look realistic. I sat there all show wondering how the hell they were allowing this.
It's mostly recycled crowd shots from previous seasons. Not too difficult.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
I was thinking more along the lines of those people sitting behind the judges. To me that looked real, but apparently from that article about it being irresponsible, it looked fake to some.

·
Super Moderator
16,103 Posts

·
Registered
15,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #226
The Masked Singer: The complete list of clues for every season 4 contestant

By Lauren Huff

The Masked Singer is officially back for its fourth season, which means new clues to obsessively overanalyze.
Every week, we'll be updating this list with all of the clues from each contestant's clue package, as well as what songs they sang, the judges' guesses, and other observations.

So get out your thinking caps and fire up those search engines: It's officially time to identify those masked celebrity singers!

Sun
Clue package:
  • Sneak peek episode clue: "This sun knows how to shine like a torch even during the freezing winter."
  • A badge with "fun director gold member" on it is shown
  • "I’ve had some extreme seasons in life"
  • Masked Singer guards are seen bathing poolside with floaties on — the pool shows a "shallow area" and 2 ft. and 7 ft. markers
  • A chihuahua, asteroids and planets, a tennis racket, a jaguar, and a Mickey Mouse head are all shown
  • "When I sprung into existence, I felt like the center of the universe... at first, stardom was great, but it was a ton of pressure"
  • She says she got burned out, and fell into “deep depression”
  • "I was frozen, but within the darkness of a quiet place, I transformed into a ray of light"
On stage:
  • First performance: Sang “Cuz I Love You” by Lizzo
  • Said of her costume, "Well, when I put this mask on I felt like it was a reflection of who I am personally, and I like it."
Judges’ guesses: Katharine McPhee, Demi Lovato, Madonna

Giraffe
Clue package:
  • Sneak peek episode clue: "You should know I share something in common with a powerful giant," he says, as a giant giraffe walks down 10th Ave. in New York City.
  • Carnival music plays, with lots of carnival references throughout (bumper cars, a Ferris wheel, fireworks)
  • He has had a "roller coaster career full of ups and downs"
  • Says music is in his blood but he "took a gigantic risk and became the butt of everyone's jokes"
  • Lots of portraits of himself are shown
  • Green apples and tomatoes are being thrown, like at a comedy show
  • Said he "was in knots and felt so lonely" but it drove him to "swing even higher"
  • A $3 sign is shown in the background
  • “Now I'm in the driver's seat, and I’m off to the races tonight. That’s a wrap!” (or did he mean rap?)

On stage:
  • First performance: Sang "Let's Get It Started" by Black Eyed Peas
  • When asked if he ever saw himself singing as a giraffe, he said, "Not at all. This has really been fun. It allows me to have a bit of anonymity which is nice, plus it was a big deal for me to not have to focus on my vocals. Plus it's super sexy."
Judges' guesses: Garth Brooks, Travis Barker, Vanilla Ice

Popcorn
Clue package:
  • Sneak peek episode clue: "When you watch my onscreen performance it will be in 3D: dynamic, delightful, and diva-licious. Mirror mirror on the wall, what makes me the biggest miracle of all?"
  • First clue package is an homage to Sex and the City called "Snacks and the City"
  • "Hey all you cool corns and cornettes" — reference to Tiger King?
  • "I'm Ms. Popcorn, if you’re tasty"
  • Speaks with a strong New York accent, but could be faking or exaggerating it
  • Says she built a career "around love," but that doesn't mean she's "soft"
  • A green snake, a partially eaten red apple, meatloaf, Vogue and Better Homes and Gardens magazines, tigers, a silver starfish, and gold hoops on a gold fish all appear in the first package
  • Mentions "jet-setting to exotic places with royalty"
  • A bus drives by with an ad for her Broadway show on it
  • "You may think I'm a little cheesy, but I worked for what I got"
On stage:
  • First performance: Sang "What About Us" by Pink
  • Said of her costume, "Well, Nick, just like popcorn I can be quite buttery at times, very salty, but also very sweet."
Judges' guesses: Tina Turner, Carole Baskin, Mary J. Blige

Dragon
Clue package:
  • Sneak peek episode clue: "If you want a hot clue to finding my identity, just look into stocks and bonds."
  • Seen at his "lairz," which has race cars parked out front
  • "Sorry, it's a bit humid in here," he says as he breathes smoke out his nose
  • "As you can see, dressing up in funky outrageous costumes isn’t new to me," he says as he walks by several portraits of himself in different outfits
  • A stopwatch, weights, a dog bone, a spa, the Statue of Liberty, and a lot of trophies are shown
  • "At first my fire was dangerous. Then I got a tip that helped me calm down and switch gears. And now, I got me this shiny treasure den."
On stage:
  • First performance: Sang "Mama Said Knock You Out" by LL Cool J
  • On becoming the Dragon, he said, "It's been an incredible experience. This whole outfit looking like I am really one of the most powerful and dominant characters in existence."
Judges' guesses: DMX, Michael Phelps, Busta Rhymes

UPDATE: The Dragon retreated to his lair on Sept. 23. See who he turned out to be.

Snow Owls
Clue package:
  • Sneak peek episode clue: "You can try and figure out who we are, but as for who is more talented, it’s a tie."
  • Their first clue package takes place in "Jam-a-lot"
  • "So you haven’t seen us together in a while, but now it's time for a family reunion"
  • "Working with him, he’s a prankster — a real wise guy," the female owl says
  • "Anything for a laugh," he says, while pulling out a red rose from his pocket
  • A street sign at the corner of Magnolia and Quarrel Canyon (a stand-in for Laurel Canyon) is shown
  • The female owl says, "Oh, brother" — possible sibling vibes?
  • They were working in Hollywood, and the male owl was driving the female owl home one day and singing "Let It Snow" off-key to "egg her on"
  • "I just wanted to make Christmas extra magical," he says
  • A castle in a forest, a pearl in a shell, and Christmas lights on a birdhouse are shown
On stage:
  • First performance: Sang "Say Something" by A Great Big World
  • When asked if they ever imagined being on stage in an egg, the male owl said, "No. I knew it would happen for me one day because I love wings."
Judges' guesses: Amy Grant and Vince Gill, Donny and Marie Osmond, Eugene Levy and Catherine O’Hara

·
Registered
15,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #227
I was like WTF is happening when the Gremlin did that, but after the reveal and I saw who it was I would have expected nothing less from him.

·
Registered
15,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #228

·
Registered
26,799 Posts
The Mickey Rourke self-unmasking was clearly planned and Nick Cannon did a terrible job of selling the "shocking surprise." I guessed Rourke before the reveal.

I know he's been a complete mess for decades, but he looked pretty bad even by Mickey Rourke standards.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
For some reason, Rourke came to mind before he started "singing". Don't know why.

That said, I honestly don't know why this irks me so much, but it does. I absolutely hated the whole "we need to show the audience" crap when they were actually there, but knowing these are recycled shots is really pathetic. Why do these shows think the viewers give two ****s about what some idiot's reactions in a crowd are? They add NOTHING!

·
Registered
15,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #231
For some reason, Rourke came to mind before he started "singing". Don't know why.

That said, I honestly don't know why this irks me so much, but it does. I absolutely hated the whole "we need to show the audience" crap when they were actually there, but knowing these are recycled shots is really pathetic. Why do these shows think the viewers give two ****s about what some idiot's reactions in a crowd are? They add NOTHING!
We said the same thing last night, knowing the audience is fake makes it that much worse. Absolutely hate it.

·
Registered
26,799 Posts
Why do these shows think the viewers give two ****s about what some idiot's reactions in a crowd are? They add NOTHING!
These shows are heavily edited to cut out blunders, boring banter, and some of the stupid/offensive things the host or judges say. They also frequently have to repeat takes if someone screws up a scripted line or the recording isn't clean. If you've ever been to the taping of a TV or radio show, they usually run at least twice as long as what gets broadcast.

Using cutaways to crowd reaction shots is a convenient method to hide all these edits so that the show seems to flow smoothly. Take away the crowd and you might notice the seams.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
These shows are heavily edited to cut out blunders, boring banter, and some of the stupid/offensive things the host or judges say. They also frequently have to repeat takes if someone screws up a scripted line or the recording isn't clean. If you've ever been to the taping of a TV or radio show, they usually run at least twice as long as what gets broadcast.

Using cutaways to crowd reaction shots is a convenient method to hide all these edits so that the show seems to flow smoothly. Take away the crowd and you might notice the seams.
Just show me Nicole as I could look at her all day. :love:

·
Registered
15,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #236

·
Registered
26,799 Posts
I am having no luck guessing anyone this season. No clue who is who.
I thought Mickey Rourke was pretty easy. And Popcorn is clearly Tina Turner, no question.

Giraffe I had no idea and wouldn't have guessed Brian Austin Greene in a thousand years.

·
Registered
15,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #238
I thought Mickey Rourke was pretty easy. And Popcorn is clearly Tina Turner, no question.

Giraffe I had no idea and wouldn't have guessed Brian Austin Greene in a thousand years.
I didn't guess Mickey, probably because I haven't seen him in like a decade. Wife says it is not Tina Turner and is Gloria Gaynor. She played her original and then played that part of the episode back and I gotta admit, they sound really similiar.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Voice aside, my first thought about Popcorn was it was a singer with a big ass. I figured the bucket was there to cover it and not give it away.
That said, my first thought was either Iggy Azalea or Bebe Rexha.

·
Registered
15,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #240
The shots of the audience is reaching ridiculous levels. They are going to them for reactions to everything and we know they are not there so it is just laughable now. What a dumb way to do it. It is one thing to use CGI to add them, but why waste the time cutting to them when we know it is not for what we are seeing?

221 - 240 of 254 Posts