AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased an LT85 (and, no, I still haven't turned it on yet). I'm pretty set on getting a 16:9 screen and will probably be going with a 45x80 unless I can get a custom one made that is even smaller. I'd like to put extra black drop on the top, bottom, and sides (if this is possible). This will help with the halo problem. I'll probably also do something at the projector to further reduce the halo issue. Anyway, I'll need to mask my screen when viewing just about everything (seeing as I don't have an HDTV signal coming in). This will involve masking both horizontally and vertically. Oh, and I also plan on mounting my screen via two hooks on the ceiling (painted to match the white ceiling so as to camouflage them) and will remove the screen when not in use and hide it behind my couch.

So, my question...I'm thinking of sewing some velcro onto various spots on the black borders of the screen (remember, I'll be ordering extra black drop). I hope to make some masking panels (black felt wrapped around cardboard, or maybe just the black felt with no cardboard if this works without sagging) and attach this to the velcro as needed. These black masking sections would be stowed away under the couch when not in use.

Does this sound doable? Will sewing velcro onto the black screen cause problems either with preventing the screen from retracting properly or in damaging the integrity of the screen itself (i.e. - might these needle-holes start to widen/rip due to tensioning/weight of the screen, etc.)?

Scott

·
Registered
47 Posts
I just tried out masking a Model B screen with velcro and black felt. I used peel and stick velcro on the black part. works pretty ok. Only problem I have right now is the felt sagging. I guess I would have to back it up with a cardboard or something.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Hi, I use a large diameter wooden dowel above the screen.

I attached the sticky velcro to the dowel, then attached the the black masking material to the velcro on the dowel. I can now roll the material up or down twisting the dowel to accomodate the height of the picture on the screen.

The sides are adjusted by moving the masking material on small curtain rods at either side, to adjust for width.

The bottom halo is eliminated by the 2" black masking at the botom of the screen, and by placing DVD jackets, or something of similar thickness, under the lens until there is no halo under the screen. Not glamoruous, but easy and cheap.

Material, dowel, velcro, and curtain rod, $80!

Works for me!

VB

·
Registered
711 Posts
I have used black velvet over foam core board attached with stick on velcro to mask a similar screen. The foam core is stiffer and retains its shape better than carboard. It is available in sizes up to 40" x 60", longer pieces may be constructed by duct taping sections together then covering them with fabric.

Works well, but be sure you attach the velcro to the board and not just the fabric, using staples or stitches so that the fabric does not slip.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.