AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone come up with any ingenous solutions for masking a Torus screen. Obviously the curve of the screen is the challange. I had someone over the other day and they said that masking a 2.35 movie makes a big difference. I can see that this is probibly true.

Jeff did you come up with anything?? Peter??

Terry

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Here are a few ideas.

1) Craft store for that floral support wire that will flex into many forms and hold.

2) Sheet metal. ben it into the correct shape, cover with velvet.

People at the craft store/fabric store will probably be the most helpful in identifing items that cab be used to make a floating curve necessary to mask a torus.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Terry,

Did you post any details ragarding the construction of your screen? I would be very interested in a few details, like how did you attach the material to the frame? Is it necessary to give the screen material some tention when attaching it to the frame, or do the fan provide all that is needed?

Gunnar

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gunnar,

I took the easy way out and stapled the screen material to the edge of the 1x frame I buily for the torus that had the curves built into it. Others here have put a rounded edge on the front of their frame and wrapped the material around (like Jeff Smiths screen).

Attaching was done with staples, and it was a bit of trial and error.

A 8" DC fan is more than ample to pull the screen into place. In facts I on'y have to run it at 7.5V.

I used VuTec 3.2 gain pearl screen material wich has a bit of transparancy. To do it over again, I would consider some material that wasn't as transparant. In fact, I may do this over again in the future and use Stewart material or consider spraying it with KBK's screen goo.

Terry

·
Registered
887 Posts
Thanks!

I have read the thread with the pictures of Jeffs screen, and I think I will do something similar regarding the frame. I have not yet deceided on the screen material, but the Vutec 3.2 is probably more affordable than the Stewart Xenon 2.9? It will probably be at least 2x the US price anyway to get it to Norway. Currently I have a 64" wide DIY frame with Draper M2500 material stapeled to it. The M2500 is also rather transparent, and I have stapeled a black bed sheet to the wall behind the screen to reduce reflections. The Draper material have vertical streaks that are noticeable during bright scenes. A lot of M2500 owner had this problem, but I do not know if newer M2500 has it as well. I would also like to try some DIY experiments with paint. Maybe aluminum paint could work?

Gunnar

·
Registered
37 Posts
Gunnar,

I would be interested to know what type of projector you are using.We have discovered that the "streaking" that you experience with the M2500 usually occurs with a projector that is too bright for the material.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I have been using a Barco Graphics 800 (825 lumens), a Barco Graphics 1200 (about 1000 lumens), and currently a Barco Data 701s, which outputs about 1100 lumens peak white. The problem is not as noticeable as before, possibly because my current screen is only about 80" (diagonal, 4:3), and I have turned the material 90 degrees, and keep the excessive material behind the screen. Not sure if this turning have an impact on the gain? The previous screen was about 120" 4:3.

I was offered a piece of new material, but the shipping/VAT/customs to Norway is more than the material cost. A friend brought the material the last time. If the streaking problem is gone the M2500 would still be a candidate for my new compound curved screen.

Gunnar

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.