AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you with AT screens and your speakers behind the screen, how are you masking for the 16:9 stuff?

I assume that either.

1) Your masking material must also be AT, but won't that let light through?

2) Your speakers are all insdie the 16:9 section of the screen width so that they are not covered at all by the masking.

I searched and found that some people are masking the sides in CIH setups, but not what material they used to mask or what their speaker position was.

Thanks

·
Registered
8,958 Posts
I'm in the process of building option 2.
HERE is my project...

Mark

·
Registered
651 Posts
I'm going to position my speakers at the edge of my 2.35 screen and then use black GOM (Guilford of Maine) material for masking.

If you don't mind having masking panels hanging on both sides of your screen, I would think it would be pretty easy to construct some frames and cover them in GOM and then build a track for the panels to ride in and out for your masking.

In my case, I don't want panels hanging on my wall and I am limited in the amount of space I have on both sides of my screen. Additionally, I want a very clean look to my screen wall and I want the masking system to be built into my false wall that my screen is on. I've been contemplating this for a number of months. I think I have a design that will work for my setup and I will probably start building it within the next few weeks.

I will use vertically mounted roller bars on each side of my screen with GOM material as the AT masking. The GOM will be attached to a stiff bar that is about 2" wide that will be wrapped in black velvet and will ride in a track. The stiff bar and masking will be pulled toward the center of the screen with wires attached to a pulley system. The whole masking system will be built into my false wall and should take up less than 8" on each side of the screen.

I know this sounds complicated, but I think it should be fairly simple and inexpensive to build (at least how I currently have it visioned in my mind
).

If you are interested in this approach, let me know and I'll post here again when I start building the system.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJ0007 /forum/post/0

If you are interested in this approach, let me know and I'll post here again when I start building the system.

Please do post when you build. New ideas are always fun to see and can be a source of inspiration.

·
Hello, World!
2,512 Posts
I have 4-way masking on my Screen Research scope screen. The side masks are acoustically transparent but I chose velvet masks for the top and bottom masks. The acoustic masks do let light through, but when black bars are projected onto them, eg when masking with 16:9 images they remain black and as long as your projector has good blacks they look as black as the velvet masks.

Mark

·
Registered
651 Posts
Mark,

How often do you use the horizontal masks on your scope screen? With your ISCO lens and CIH setup, I would think it would be rare that top and bottom masking is needed.

With the masking that I am going to build, I have gone back and forth as to whether I should add the horizontal masking or not. Your input would be much appreciated.

- Scott

·
Hello, World!
2,512 Posts
Scott,

I use top and bottom masks more regularly than you'd think - many films are rarely exactly 2.35:1 or 1.78:1 and so there is room for small nudges of the masks. But bigger movements come for DVD which I don't watch anamorphically stretched due to the size of my screen (15' wide) making them look very poor when displayed full size. What I do for DVD is display with constant width (ie within the 16:9 panel) and then use all four masks as necessary to frame the image.

Mark

·
Registered
651 Posts
Thanks Mark. You really have me thinking that I may want horizontal masking in addition to the vertical masking. If the speakers are placed in about the middle of the screen, I can understand why the horizontal masking doesn't need to be acoustically transparent since it should never cover a speaker.

- Scott

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.