Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

I am going to make a masking system to change my 122" diagonal screen form 1.78/1 to 2.35/1.

I am going to use a rigid panel covered in velvet, which will ride on ball-bearing rails. The problem is that I need a thin/stiff material that is relatively wide.

The panels will be just over 9' wide, 8" tall, and a maximum of .50" thick. The problem is the width of 9', where most materials come in 8' widths. Weight is not much of an issue as I will use the panels to counter-balance one another.

I have thought high-density plywood but I am having a hard time locating it. Using aluminum u-channel with two separate pieces of wood to make up the 9' might work, but the cost/labor would be quite extensive.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I did essentially what you describe. I used 10' 1x10" #1 pine which I ripped to my desired width and cut to about 9' length. THis would also be available in a 12' length. No it was not cheap not much is, but it worked fine.

FWIW I used black velvet to cover the masking panels. It soaks up all the light.

You can see a few construction pics of my masking and a with and without comparison.

Jim Mc

"The Stargate"

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...&sp=1&vt=vpall

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jim,

Were there any problems with the wood warping?

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
My masking has been in place for about 6 months and I have noticed no warpage. I think as with any wood it was important to get it in place and secure before it had a chance to start to warp.

Jim Mc

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.