AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone created a device to mask the letterbox bars on a Plasma? It's only an issue when your playing a 2.35:1 widescreen movie (or watching TV or video in 4:3). I could imagine creating some sort of felt or velvet fabric bands, perhaps with elastic, that would slide on to the top and bottom of the screen (almost like a black felt rubberband). It would be completely adjustable and could be removed in 2 seconds.

Any thoughts?

- Ken

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
My first thought is: What are you masking. The bars on a 2:35:1 are blackness, no illumination, and tend to blend into the frame of most plasmas.

On 4:3, if you are talking grey bars, then I definitely get it. Some mattes would be nice for that. I suggest black posterboard that has velcro attached to the top on bottom. Half the velcro on the mattes, with enough to reach around to the back, the other half the velcro on the back to stick it to. Should take 3-4 seconds for each side, but could look reasonable, be unobtrusive, and cover the grey bars pretty well.

Mark

·
Banned
17,607 Posts
Fujitsuwise, if you are used to the black bars on a 5002 and then go to the 6101, you will miss that black level. Notr in the picture, at all, but in the black bars.

So I was reviewiing ibn the back of my mind just yesterday a clean way to do it.

I decided that if the picture was nearly perfect, that designing a masking system might be too a tedious task for the return.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.