AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for some opinions on my screen set up. I just got my Sanyo PLV-Z2. I'm going to be using it for ONLY HDTV and DVD's. No 4:3 stuff. I was looking at the 112" 2.35 to 1 Carada screen. I was going to put velvet curtains covering the entire screen. When I want to watch a movie, I will open them. I was thinking about just not opening it all the way when I was watching 1.85 to 1 material, so I can mask the sides. Has anyone done anything like this? How does it look? Also, anyone have any input as to what screen material I should choose? There will probably be some ambient light in the room.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I am planning on doing the same thing. For my setup I wanted to be able to handle any masking need on the fly, so any aspect ratio. Not to mention, I didn't want to be building anything too expensive, or labor intensive.

To handle infinate vertical masking, I am thinking of replacing or attaching velvet to pull down blinds. A pair of them, one for the top, and another for the bottom. I am thinking that for the bottom one, I will fabricate a rack of some sort that will hold the bottom at various heights.

And of course the drapes themselves will handle the horizontal masking.

Additionally, I will make a boxed covered valance (for the straight edge) to hide both the rods of the curtains and the blinds from the top. The bottom I think will always show, as the covered rod will be plain enough, and straight enough that it will not need to be hidden. And simply because I had not said so, both blinds will sit behind the curtains, and the draping will cover the entire wall, with speakers sitting in front, although this could be built to hide the speakers if one wanted.

Interested in what you were thinking, as this is my project over the next month, as my velvet was supposed to arrive yesterday, but alas the weather has delayed UPS.

Diana

PS.... I am leaving town for the weekend, returning Monday, but will look for replies when I return.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.