AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just been reading the forum about DIY masking and just wondered if anyone has tried masking with velvet backed foam board attached onto the screen with velcro? Velco strip can be either stitched, glued, stapled onto surface. Accuracy in placement might be an issue though.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
I did, along with numerous other ideas. One day I came home and found the upper mask on the floor. Seems the room got warm enough to seperate the adhesive from the Carada Black Hole frame fabric. That was with the Industrial Strength Velcro pad. Plus, I wanted more flexibility with positioning, which tension rods gave me (see thread further down).

One person here on the forum said they had success with Velcro.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have been doing velcro masks on pretty much every display device I've owned.

When I had a 92" projector screen, I used strips cut from a black straight bedsheet (hemmed with the iron tape). Velvro tape in strategic spots. because it was a sheet, is was light and could be easily stretched into position. The effect with the lights out was amazing (to me, friends and family thought I was cuckoo)

Even on my plasma, I've used masks, in this case, large construction paper from a craft store, again, with adhesive velcro.

I like the sheets, because most of the time, they're rolled up on a shelf somewhere.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 257roberts /forum/post/17131363

I used the dubetyne 3" wide tape on my screen, it worked great!

Duvetyne tape seems like it would be an easy, effective, and inexpensive border for a mylar based DIY screen. May even be good for covering movable borders like the ones held in place with velcro.

How sticky is this tape? Is it more like removable masking tape or much more sticky like duct tape?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts